Supreme court ruled current marriage laws' failure to guarantee marriage equality unconstitutional

7 posts were split to a new topic: Raccoon marriage ruling

We are already a lot of people on this Island, but there will be a day when there will be no mo. Japan, with its 100 million, will be empty in less than 100 years, as per latest studies. Taiwan is not far behind. Birth index less than 1 means no replacement.

Actually, we furriners have higher rates. True, there are 4 babies in my neighborhood, but their parents were part of a string of 4 or 5 siblings. Their grandparents of 12. Next generation will be zero or less. And it ain’t TVs fault. It is too expensive, too stressful, too demanding to have children.

Good lord.
Even for you, this is pretty alarmist shit.

Tell you what, when you can walk up and get a table at friggin éŒŽæł°è± with no wait, you give me a call, yeah?

Spoken like a true ć€©éŸäșș.

It’s not really just about the name. More important is having descendents to make offerings by burning gold money, cars, Gucci handbags, etc.

No descendents=poverty in the afterlife, and nobody wants to become a hungry ghost, wandering around looking for mischief during ghost-month.

Adopt, adapt and improve. Make ghost offerings more efficient. Outsource your offerings if necessary. :slight_smile:

People tend to talk about low birth rates as if the current population were ideal. One theory is that it’s a holdover from the industrial age, i.e. more people = more productivity = win the arms race and be the world’s superpower, more or less. What we usually hear now is that the pension systems will collapse without fresh meat.

I think what’s really needed is fresh thinking, and hopefully this decision will result in some of that.

Speaking of ghost offerings

Many are saying that the ruling makes Taiwan the first in Asia to allow same-sex unions, “but why do they not care about becoming No. 1 in economic aspects or wealth?” Buddhist Master Ching-yao (æ·šè€€æł•ćž«) asked.

The grand justices tread on the judicial profession for their own interests, he said, calling on the public to send ghost money to the Judicial Yuan and the grand justices to express their lack of faith in the judicial system.

“For their own interests”? I guess that means they did it to rake in extra cash for their ancestors, so at least a few ghosts get to enjoy economic success. :ghost: :money_mouth: :ghost:

Incidentally

Marriage between a man and a woman is protected by the Constitution, so the interpretation is itself in violation of the Constitution, Republic of China I-Kuan Dao Society deputy executive director Chang Ming-chih (ćŒ”æ˜Žè‡Ž) said.

The first two characters are in Wade-Giles, and the third is in Hanyu Pinyin. :confused: Is this a TT error, or do they actually spell it that way?

1 Like

The unceasing flow of fallacies from these people is pretty impressive.

“asking why same-sex marriage is not considered unethical”–Yeah when did you stop beating your wife? You tell me why it is considered unethical, how about that?

“If there is no limit to the Constitution’s protection of the freedom of marriage and equal rights, then the limits on other types of marriage should also be removed”–so which kinds should be allowed? Who’s asking for it? Is there any reason not to do this? Is there any reason not to allow those either?

“Marriage between a man and a woman is protected by the Constitution, so the interpretation is itself in violation of the Constitution”–oh, so marriage between a man and a woman is going to be violated now?

“but why do they not care about becoming No. 1 in economic aspects or wealth?”–Fine, let’s do it, and I’ll care. Is this going to prevent it?

“politics override the law.”–yeah? How? Why? Aren’t you saying the public isn’t in favor of it?

"All opinion polls show that more than half of Taiwanese are against the legalization of same-sex marriage, "–Haven’t seen it! Looks like even or for everything I’ve seen.

They skipped my favorite one–this will destroy ancestral lineages, lol. Like that’s ever been a matter of law, or a legal marriage will necessarily impact it in any way.

Geez just have the stuff to come out and say it–you don’t want gays to have the same rights as everyone else. They’d be fawning over the court if this went their way.

This is especially ironic considering that 侀èȫ道 literally means “the consistent way.” :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is frigging hilarious, especially when you know some of the guys in suit are Christian pastors and Catholic priests XD

They are so against homosexuality, they don’t mind holding ghost money in their hands XD

1 Like

Sure can. Go to the one in A11 instead of Taipei 101. Go to the one in Tianmu instead of the one in Yongkang street. Xiao case.

Now gimme a difficult one, like finding sour cream. Or Magic Whip. haven’t seen that one in ages.

Again, I repeat myself one more time:

Name spellings for government officials are whatever the official him/herself say they write it so, as they studied in the US and hence know how to write their own names in Englishee. And I quote them, excluding threats to be fired unless such name spellings are corrected.

So this one you cannot blame Typo Times, our glorious one and only surviving Englishee newspaper.

which is very ironic as the poor ones, the ones who cannot find jobs, buy homes, etc. are the younger generations. They sacrifice their children’s future for their own afterlife. Their economic practices are already chocking down teh economy, now their social and religious impositions are makiing sure no one can take up the batoon of the future. Guaranteed self destruction, and yet they say it is the LGTB community the one to blame for society’s demise.

Which is very religious of them, BTW.

Good lord.

My point was, there’s a pretty significant difference between:

“Families used to have 3, 4, or 5 kids but now they’re mostly having 1 or 2”

and

“NOBODY IN TAIWAN IS HAVING ANY MORE BABIES!!!”

I appreciate that population growth has slowed, but it ain’t like it’s friiggin Children of G_d out there, for the love of Pete.

1 Like

You know how Japan and Korea complain about their low birth rates?

Taiwan has them beat. In 2016, Taiwan’s total fertility rate is 1.20. Japan had 1.41, and Korea had 1.26.

Not yet. Buahahahaha!

Actually, it is really worrisome. I can do a head count and yes, we have 4 babies in the hood, but the number of people in their reproductive years who are not well, reproducing - and as far as neighborhood gossip goes, ain’t even getting some, so no hope- is 5 times greater, at leats. And since they live with their parents and are stuck in dead end jobs
 my point is it si a problem short term and a catastrophe in medium term. There is no long term.

BTW, that papito Anderson Cooper is my hero.

Regarding the issues to come, this may be a kink:

The Cabinet has no conception or deadline for the legalization of same-sex marriage, which would involve a set of legal revisions regarding marital property rights, inheritance and parenthood, the Executive Yuan said yesterday.

“It might involve [an overhaul of] the marital property system, including divorce issues and parental issues that involve the Genetic Health Act (ć„Șç”Ÿäżć„æł•) and the Artificial Reproduction Act (äșșć·„ç”Ÿæź–æł•),” in addition to inheritance and gift tax rules, he said.

The ruling might also involve a debate about decriminalizing adultery, as the idea of same-sex marriage runs counter to the Criminal Code’s definition of adultery, which is a crime committed by a man and a woman, he said.

Very few nations still penalize adultery, and the only Asian nations where adultery is criminalized are Taiwan, South Korea and some Muslim nations in the Middle East, Hsu said, adding that the Executive Yuan has no preconceived ideas on the issue.

One would hope that changes can be made so sisters will not be left out in the cold in favor of the single baby boy. Or foreign parteners kicked out befroe they can claim inheritance. Mopst importantly, the notion of real joint custody could be explored, instead of having children alloted as furniture to the Taiwanese parent only and the otehr parent never see them again.

Are you talking about the Blur album? If you’re thinking of Miracle Whip, trust me, the world is a better place without that. :sunglasses:

I’m kind of indifferent I guess but always against legislation that doesn’t serve the people. I don’t care what people do as long as they pay their taxes. And I don’t think changing your FB photo background to a rainbow is exactly earth-shattering support for a complex issue. I asked my co-worker what she thought about the recent news. She said supports the legislation because of the pain that some people have gone through. She also added that she doesn’t want homosexuality to become too common. I imagine this viewpoint could be typical in any country. Any feedback from locals on this issue?

Good God. If I want to look at his idiotic mug, I’ll turn on the Certainly Not News channel.