Surfing and Teaching

Hello Everyone. I am an experienced TEFL teacher and avid surfer. I’m moving to Taiwan this summer to find the perfect balance between getting paid and getting barreled. If you have any advice about finding good jobs with surf access, please please please help me out.

I need to make money, but I also need to be close to the surf.

Thanks!

I knew a lot of teachers working in Pingtung who would make the trek to Kenting most weekends to surf (about a 2-hour drive if I can remember correctly). You can also access Kenting quite easily from Kaosiung; it is probably about the same distance as it is from Pingtung.

Taidung is also a big surfing area, but I’m not sure how the job market is there (I don’t think there is much of one, actually) or how far it is from a more metropolitan area where jobs are readily available.

Taiwan is a great place to surf, I think you’ll enjoy it. Have fun and and good luck! :thumbsup:

Ilan and Hualien (and maybe Dulan? Though I have never been there) are your best bets. I have friends in both who surf daily and yell at kids a bit on the side.

Work is sparse down there though so prepare to live like a serf while you surf.

Thanks for the responses! I don’t mind living like a serf as long as I can find employment. The thought of commuting from work to surf, or from surf to work is totally an option for me.

I’m prepared to move to Taiwan this August. Do you recommend I sign a contract with a big school before coming? Or is it better to hit the pavement and make my decision of where I want to live and work after seeing the country and going to some interviews? I’ve got the start up money, and location is important to me, so can I find work without signing up with someone before I jump on the plane?

[quote=“Brendo123”]Thanks for the responses! I don’t mind living like a serf as long as I can find employment. The thought of commuting from work to surf, or from surf to work is totally an option for me.

I’m prepared to move to Taiwan this August. Do you recommend I sign a contract with a big school before coming? Or is it better to hit the pavement and make my decision of where I want to live and work after seeing the country and going to some interviews? I’ve got the start up money, and location is important to me, so can I find work without signing up with someone before I jump on the plane?[/quote]

Cannot answer that as I do not teach, but there teaching forum should have loads of info to help steer you right.

Not much of a surfer myself , all I know is all the ways to fall off the board. But I guess one could work in Taipei and surf in WAiAo , which isnt far right? Less then an hour by train. And a walk across to the beach they say.

youtube.com/watch?v=FEWG1ANIw4I

youtube.com/watch?v=TgXzBGwgNG8

thanks tommy. if I can get surf like in the videos and live/work in Taipei, I guess I’d be alright. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies!

Many people have beach houses in and around Fulong beach that also teach in Ilan. I would think Ilan would be your best bet, but English teaching jobs might be hard to find, but the surf is pretty good in Waiao, Toucheng, Daxi (Honeymoon Bay) and sometimes Fulong. You can always just live in Taipei, and surf around Ilan, most of the surf shops around Toucheng will let you keep your board at their surf shops for a monthly fee.

When I made the drive from Taitung to Haulien it certainly looked like good waves on that side of the island, throw in the beach with the black sand was completely empty and looked like a nice beach. It was a little south of Haulien. I would be a little nervous to hit the water around Xitiping and Tropic of Cancer monument though as it looked pretty rough.

I knew a girl who rented a beach house up north-ish (maybe Toucheng?), she worked office hours in HsiChih, she used to get wet in the morning and then drive in to work.
The tunnel makes it a pretty doable commute.
You got to have a car, of course, but the COL up there is a lot less than in town. :idunno:

Getting to Yilan from Taipei by bus is actually very easy (and cheap). I know a few surfers who live in Taipei and surf in Waiao or whatever. It’s not a bad lifestyle from what I gather, though you’ll want to research Hualien and Taitung as well… and then, of course, factor in social isolation versus good surfing :slight_smile:

After having tried it both ways, getting a job and then coming, and coming and then getting a job, in various countries, I recommend the latter. Once you’re in country, you have more options and bargaining power. There are lots of people trying to score internet jobs and get flights over. It’s better to be able to say, I can do an interview in person and start next week if you need it. But the good schools look ahead of time too. So that’s a factor. You want to thoroughly check out a school that desperately needs a teacher ASAP because their may be a reason they’re short a person. It could be a foreigner was flaky or left in the night, but you want to ask yourself if the person had a good reason to take off and why the school wasn’t able to plan ahead.