Surfing on Green Island/ Orchid Island

If anyone has either surfed on or seen surf on either of these islands please let me know. I am planning a trip there and I guess that these places must get swell - but do they have any reefs/ beachies/ points that break?

Any feedback would be good, even if you bodysurfed somewhere before

Green Island is completely surrounded by a fringing reef that goes right up to shore. Ten feet off-shore it drops to 15-20 feet…So, unless your idea of surfing is waiting for the next Typhoon and then riding a beach break onto razor sharp hard coral I’d give Green Island a miss.

If however, you put away your surfboard and don the scuba gear you are in for a real treat …

The one place on Orchid Island thats ideal for surfing is located on the northeast shore–big beach, but be careful of the giant rocks that are hanging out just below the surface.

Yep.
Very, very rocky…
Didn’t see much in the way of a surfable beach break; it was all sloppy and choppy. But, there might be a few spots near the tips of the island that hold a good swell (they’re just a bit hard to access).
Orchid Island’s really beautiful - so it’s definitely worth the trip, but I think you’d look like a goose rocking up on the island with a board in your hand.

[quote=“vissnz”]If anyone has either surfed on or seen surf on either of these islands please let me know. I am planning a trip there and I guess that these places must get swell - but do they have any reefs/ beachies/ points that break?

Any feedback would be good, even if you bodysurfed somewhere before[/quote]

Like others have said, forget surfing on Green Island. But Penghu might be worth a shot.

regards,
Robert

Green Isaland=Big NO NO
Penghu=Big YES YES
Orchid=Big I don’t know.