Surfing

It was a really gorgeous day out at Baishawan today. The wind and surf was just right and the triple gems of surfing were out there today.

[color=#FF0000]Surfers and Windsurfers and Kite Surfers, Oh My!![/color]

April 19, 2011

Beautiful pics! Kite surfing is something I’d like to learn.
So sad I missed my morning surf- tide was really low which doesn’t work for my spot and a bit on the windy/small side.

I’ve got a six year old who likes to surf. She’s had a couple of lessons from my friends in Kenting and Taidong but mainly we just let her try to ride small waves in when she feels like it. She’s got her own board, from costco, and can just basically balance on the board to ride in. At this age, should we just let her play for several years until she wants to learn more? Is there more that such a little one can learn? I feel that she should just be comfortable in the ocean and standing on her board than doing anything serious but working on her swimming skills but I don’t know anything about surfing so is that right?

In Hawaii I used to watch 8 year olds who could shred better than I could. That made me jealous.
I think you’re doing the right thing with your daughter, letting her interest guide the situation. ASk her if she wants another lesson, it could be that she’s really craving the next step! But if she’s happy just chillin and taking the odd wave in, I think that’s great.
Congrats to you for being such a cool mom and letting your kids try new things!

Wipe out

http://www.petethomasoutdoors.com/2011/04/surfers-to-be-recognized-for-most-terrifying-wipeouts-video.html

[quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”][quote=“NonTocareLeTete”]Bababa- I met a woman in San Diego who learned to surf at 50 :wink: She was awesome! I believe she was in her late 60’s when I met her, on a 9 ft board and catching the lil summer surf with the best of them. Just give it a try! It’s better to try it so you have no regrets. I do have to say, to get good at surfing you usually need more than a passing interest in it. The first few times are exhausting and you can get a little beat up. But after some time, paddling becomes like walking- you can do it without thinking- and as NorthCoast Surfer said - catch your first real wave and you will NEVER turn back. There is no feeling like it, and each successive step you take to becoming a better surfer is more satisfying than the last. At least that’s how it’s been for me.

About going to Wushi Gong- If you head away from the water you’ll see a path then a little street of surf shops. Just ask at a shop (better than asking random tan guys on the beach :wink: Or head along the highway (the 2 I believe) and you’ll see plenty of shops where you can ask for a teacher.
If you want a long term thing, I have some friends who have a ‘surf club’. For a monthly fee you can stay the night at their place, rent boards, wetsuits, etc. Kind of a nice deal if you want to try out different boards. They’ll also drive around on the weekends and find less crowded spots/better conditions, which is great for a beginner. Their surfing advice/teaching is a little scant- “BIG WAVE COMING! Paddle paddle now!” but I can fill in where they leave off :wink: All around a good crew, we spend a lot of time at the hot springs, eating, cooking in fires on the beach, camping. I’m not sure how much the fees are. It’s in Waiao, overall travel time from Taipei is an hour and a half maybe, on trains, buses, etc.

NorthCoast Surfer, do you have a stand up paddle board? I think I saw you at wushi gang :wink: Really windy day a couple of weeks ago. Nice looking board![/quote]

That was some other evil foreigner.[/quote]
Resemble this?

I enjoyed this movie-he’s got a great laid back style but really shreds when he wants to

An oldy but goody.

(NO you Aussies didn’t invent surfing!)

I loved the simpleness of this film. Did you see the footprint accelerator on the old VW?

I miss Santa Cruz but not the freezing ass water and the crowds.

Any one else?

I used to chat with this dude in the water and had no clue who he was :laughing: But I love this clip, it’s just so soothing- love longboarding when it’s done right, so fucking beautiful, ahhhhhhh.
Surfed for 3 hours this am, going out again this afternoon :smiley:

[quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”]I enjoyed this movie-he’s got a great laid back style but really shreds when he wants to

[/quote] love the tube at 1:20 where both the guys get out :bravo:

You from northern cali? I grew up there but never surfed till I moved to Hawaii- love to go back and surf there sometime.

[quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”]
Any one else?[/quote]
I give you my neighbourhood’s surf action. (Well, kind of. A mere 3-hour drive from my hoose.)

A tropical depression was anything but depressing! 6 Feet in Wu Shi Gang! A little mucky with the off shore wind but a nice taste of summer storm season.

Anybody else hear about this stroke of Taiwanese genius? http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/no-surfing-law-during-typhoons-introduced-in-taiwan_57622/

This seems to be the best advice for first-timers. Anyone disagree and would like to recommend another place? We will need instruction, board rental, about a 1-hour drive from Taipei or less, and a shop or two in the area that sell surfer shirts (I burn easily).

It seems the surfer shirt is covered- 100 NT for the rental according to this ad.

Northcoast Surfer, thanks for the info. I went a few weeks ago and got some lessons. I went with my wife and kids (one is an infant). Perhaps you remember seeing me. It was a great experience! I was a little beat up but I definitely want to go a few more times. Thanks again!

There is a cool surfing hostel in Yilan owned by a taiwanese and foreigner from California who is great at teaching the ropes of surfing (and can really surf good) i’m not sure how much for lessons but if you talk to him he’s a really laid back friendly guy! they have a website risingsunsurfinn.com

Damn you make me want to go back to Taiwan real hard. No fuckin’ surfing here in Bavaria (if you don’t count that one kinda artificial place at some Munich channel)

Nice writeup on surfing in Fulong and Taitung (Donghe) by foreigner from China visiting Taiwan.

Immediately adjacent to Hualien Port yesterday. Never knew surfing would be possible in Hualien City.

P_20180407_114720_vHDR_Auto

I often stop by there to watch the surfers. I sort of want to go swimming/bodysurfing there but I am pretty turned off by the idea of going in the water at a river mouth due to raw sewage.

I have gone swimming south of Nanbin park in Jian but it’s a shorebreak so no bodysurfing.