Surprise! Your face is in our brochure. WHAT?

Take some pictures of your bosses and post them on forumosa. Then we can all make comments about their physical characteristics and question their professionalism.

I look like a mafia hitman. I cant get dates using my pic.

All your face are belong to us.

You could consult a lawyer. In general use of someone’s photo for commercial purpose requires a waiver.
The issue is mostly if legal costs are worth the compensation you could get.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_release

Edit:
Details on how it works:
danheller.com/model-release-primer.html

Finally a nongarbage post. It only took 3 pages. :unamused:

[quote=“pb”]You could consult a lawyer. In general use of someone’s photo for commercial purpose requires a waiver.
The issue is mostly if legal costs are worth the compensation you could get.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_release

Edit:
Details on how it works:
danheller.com/model-release-primer.html[/quote]Thanks a lot for that bit of info. I wonder if any of that applies to Taiwan.
“use of likeness for commercial purpose”
It’s about civil liability now. They’ve published my photo without my concent for commercial purposes.
What’s the going rate for a model in this kind of situation?
If they’ve printed off 8000 brochures with 3 photos of me in each…Would it be reasonable to ask for payment for each photo used, or for each brochure the photos appeared in?

Nongarbage replies would be greatly appreciated.

You want to teach them a lesson? Go ahead and ask for compensation. You like the job/students/hours? Let it slide.

I wrote about model releases recently.

craigfergusonimages.com/2010 … eleases-2/

Unless they can produce a signed agreement that you’ve given them, you can sue them and you’d win. At least as far as the law goes - whether they’d actually pay is another matter.

Hey, I gave you TWO non-garbage replies. The most sensible one was that this is Taiwan, and they can and will get away with that kind of shit, regardless of any ‘agreement’, written or not, that you may have had earlier. Relying on a verbal agreement is just naïve.

I will give you a third non-garbage response. take all the brochures, put them into a big pile, spray petrol over them, and burn them. If you’re feeling nice, you may want to do this outside. You can pretend it’s prayer money, if she asks: your kind of prayers.

[quote=“Marty”]
If they’ve printed off 8000 brochures with 3 photos of me in each…Would it be reasonable to ask for payment for each photo used, or for each brochure the photos appeared in?

Nongarbage replies would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

According to current commercial rates (using Fotoquote 6 which is the industry standard), the licensing fee for the photo would be US$748 per image. That’s what a photographer “should” get, so the model fee would be somewhere under that.

[quote=“Marty”]Finally a nongarbage post. It only took 3 pages. :unamused:

Nongarbage replies would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Quite a few posters took the time to offer relevant opinions, there’s no need to insult them. Not to mention, this is a discussion forum. You’ll have to accept some discussion of the topic you started.

OK lets get this straight (I don’t own a bushiban)

1. You don’t currently earn money from your face
  2. You haven’t lost anything material because of them using your photo
  3. You have no identity sensitive issues I assume (you aren’t on a witness protection program, or a spy?)
  4. You do however currently earn money because your bosses are good at marketing their business
  5. Many others teaching at your school earn money because your bosses are good at marketing their business
  6. The brochures have been produced with a picture that you willingly posed for with no mention of payment
  7. The implied intent was that the photo would belong to whoever took it
  8. The cost of reprinting the 8000 brochures may be sufficient to mean that your bosses cannot afford to employ you or one of your colleagues next semester

Is any of this getting through to you?

Were you sucking up because you were hungover?

[quote=“daihatsu”]Marty…
It’s your own fault; you smiled!
You should know by now that you NEVER, EVER smile when they point a camera in your direction.
Always look like a miserable schmuck - it works like a bomb!!
I have NEVER, EVER been on any posters in my 9 years here even though my wife swears I’m devilishly sexy…[/quote]

Not true! I look like a miserable prick in just about every photo I’m in from my last employer, and yet at one point, they had my face in over 50% of their promotional photos where there was a single foreign teacher in the shot (I counted because I’m so vain). Cleverly, I was wearing different clothes, had quite different hair lengths in the photos and was photographed from different angles, so they were in fact passing me off as several different teachers. In fact, there were certain other teachers there whose photos are still there years after they left, so I’m expecting the same photos of me may well be there years after I leave also, despite many clearly more current, photogenic and happier people being available.

To the OP: Seriously, urodacus is offering you some good advice. The three of us are Australian, and I think he’s trying to be polite about telling you not to have a lend of yourself. Seriously dude, you’re playing with your toilet area. Furthermore, you’re married to a Taiwanese person. Yet on the ladder of being exploited by a Taiwanese boss, you don’t realise that 99% of people here would love for this to be the worst of their concerns working for a buxiban?

Different job. I don’t think I even noticed the camera for the first one.

Call the local media to a location of your choice and when you see them arrive streak them. See how fast your picture dissapears from their adverts.

[quote=“Marty”]I show up to my weekly 2 hour a week gig at one school to find 3 photos of me are in their most recent brochure.
What the heck? They didn’t even ask me.
I remember telling them specifically when I began work there that they can use photos of me inside their school as much as they like, but to never use my photo for brochures, any kind of advertising or on their billboard.
They’ve printed off somewhere between 3000 to 8000 brochures. I heard that from the kids. I saw 6 boxes filled with brochures.
I told the principal how I felt and she just laughed it off and said it’s fine and walked away grinning like a stupid fuck. She always does that when she wants to avoid conflict. I tried talking to her again after class but she was busy dealing with 2 kids that had a blue.

I feel violated and totally pissed off.

I want to be compensated for it. I want MONEY! Only that will satisfy my desire for swearing and other frowned upon confrontational techniques.

Am I overreacting? Right now I’m still fuming.
What would you do?
What should I do?[/quote]
No you are not over reacting. That is a low thing to do and the owner of any school that does that without your permission needs a good kicking (metaphorically of course). You can also sue them for it although as you probably got your work permit through them it would be tricky. :thumbsup:

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]OK lets get this straight (I don’t own a buxiban)

1. You don’t currently earn money from your face
  2. You haven’t lost anything material because of them using your photo
  3. You have no identity sensitive issues I assume (you aren’t on a witness protection program, or a spy?)
  4. You do however currently earn money because your bosses are good at marketing their business
  5. Many others teaching at your school earn money because your bosses are good at marketing their business
  6. The brochures have been produced with a picture that you willingly posed for with no mention of payment
  7. The implied intent was that the photo would belong to whoever took it
  8. The cost of reprinting the 8000 brochures may be sufficient to mean that your bosses cannot afford to employ you or one of your colleagues next semester

Is any of this getting through to you?[/quote]
Nah what a load of crap.

He did not give them permission to use it in a brochure. They did anyway. The picture belongs to the person who took it BUT they cannot use his face in it to recommend a product or company without HIS permission as it breaks privacy laws. Look it up.

The boss could of prevented all this by simply not treating his employee like a c–t. He could of said “could we please use your picture for our brochure”?
Maybe gave the guy a 1000NT$. All simple. But he/she didn’t cause they were arrogant and treated him like a peasant. They used his face to market their school in a brochure when he explicitly said it was not to be used for anything other than what he stated. He may have his reasons for not wanting it in the brochure who knows ? Abused spouse, run away cult member who the hell knows that is his business but the one thing we do know is he stipulated specifically how it could be used and they were dishonest. Some buxiban owners make me sick. Disgusting behaviour. You are not over reacting hell why don’t they just take his DNA and ittle finger too :2cents:

They should have gotten his permission. But if its question of losing your job over this? What you gonna do? Go ahead and call the ghostbusters?

If you fuss up too much bout this, you will be on their shitlist. Just make sure thats fine by you before you raise a stink. Your shit had better be worth it to em. Or else you will be flushed. LIfe is so simple some times.

[quote=“tommy525”]They should have gotten his permission. But if its question of losing your job over this? What you gonna do? Go ahead and call the ghostbusters?

If you fuss up too much bout this, you will be on their shitlist. Just make sure thats fine by you before you raise a stink. Your shit had better be worth it to em. Or else you will be flushed. LIfe is so simple some times.[/quote]

yeah you are right Tommy I am over reacting to the ambivalent reactions of others. This was wrong but not a huge deal unless he really is legally hiding from people. There are good reasons that some people LEGALLY hide from others. But yeah he won’t gain now from arguing with them.

[quote=“fenlander”][quote=“tommy525”]They should have gotten his permission. But if its question of losing your job over this? What you gonna do? Go ahead and call the ghostbusters?

If you fuss up too much bout this, you will be on their shitlist. Just make sure thats fine by you before you raise a stink. Your shit had better be worth it to em. Or else you will be flushed. LIfe is so simple some times.[/quote]

yeah you are right Tommy I am over reacting to the ambivalent reactions of others. This was wrong but not a huge deal unless he really is legally hiding from people. There are good reasons that some people LEGALLY hide from others. But yeah he won’t gain now from arguing with them.[/quote]

Yeah sometimes (sometimes too often) we have a big Lump-a-BOSS and we either have to put up or ship out. IF he is on a witness protection scheme, perhaps teaching (highly public job) isnt really what he should be doing?

[quote=“tommy525”][quote=“fenlander”][quote=“tommy525”]They should have gotten his permission. But if its question of losing your job over this? What you gonna do? Go ahead and call the ghostbusters?

yeah you are right Tommy I am over reacting to the ambivalent reactions of others. This was wrong but not a huge deal unless he really is legally hiding from people. There are good reasons that some people LEGALLY hide from others. But yeah he won’t gain now from arguing with them.[/quote]

Yeah sometimes (sometimes too often) we have a big Lump-a-BOSS and we either have to put up or ship out. IF he is on a witness protection scheme, perhaps teaching (highly public job) isnt really what he should be doing?[/quote]

yah well we don’t know his reason but whatever it is he has a right not to be in their brochure. There could be a 1000 decent reasons for him not wanting it in there. It is not our business and he has a right not to have his picture supporting their products and services if he so chooses. Even if for selfish reasons it doesn’t matter , it is simple clear cut case of the school being dishonest and disrespectful. I can’t see it any other way. But yeah like I said not a huge deal unless it resulted in harm to someone who had very good reason not to be in the brochure like a woman trying to avoid an ex partner !. :thumbsup:
p.s.
A friend of mine makes commercials and was telling me that everyone directly participating in the commercial must sign a form giving consent first. She has done this for years in Taiwan and know the law regarding this. I mentioned this to her and she was surprised that they didn’t at the VERY least get a verbal agreement.