Surprise! Your face is in our brochure. WHAT?

Check INTERPOL

Check INTERPOL[/quote]

Yeah they must have a few action flics.

Why is having your face in a brochure a big deal? My mug was once plastered on giant advertisements in multiple subways for 6 months. I was kinda flattered.

Was this dude wanted by Interpol?

They paid the bloke 2 hours a week to teach, then used his mug without permission to advertise their business.

If yer let 'em use yer mug fer free, whoā€™s the bloody mug?

Nope. Still not understanding why itā€™s a big deal. Seems like the guy just liked to complain.

Iā€™m not too modest to admit I liked being in advertisements. You feel like a z-list celeb while you wait for the train standing in front of a poster with your face for it.

At our uni, people come round and photograph classes and meetings, I think just to prove they occurred. Or as a way of taking attendance.

Many years ago, I discovered that a local publishing company I copy-edited for had published a number of English textbooks listing my name as author. (I discovered this because my wife had bought one before we met, and had it on her shelf!)

Some people feel cheated when their likeness gets used in promotional material without agreement or compensation.

Luckily for cram schools and loabans in general, such people are very rare in the Taiwanese workforce, local and foreign alike.

2 Likes

I get the impression that if you like your workplace youā€™d want to be a team-player and help promote it (but I guess actually liking your job is a rarity here). Youā€™re literally doing nothing more than posing for a picture. How taxing.

Yeah, why donā€™t models work for free? Itā€™s, like, so unfair, man! :frowning_face:

[sarcasm]

2 Likes

The OP is long gone from this thread, but I imagine his picture lives on. Alas, this would have been a perfect test case. Open Work Permit and a two hour a week job? IOW, nothing to lose. Absolutely should have sued the school. He would have won, most likely about 1500 US for every year they used the brochure. I would have made sure the settlement did not include an NDA and brought the news of it to the attention of the ermā€¦media(?).

Give these lowbins (sic) something to think about next time they try this bullshit.

Mama always said I should have been a lawyer.

2 Likes

This sort of thing happens from time to timeā€“here, tooā€“with variations, of course:

Sometimes people sue over it. Hereā€™s a U. S. appellate case from 1911, involving a kid whose image was used as part of an advertisement for a brand of watches:

https://www.courtlistener.com/opinion/3552489/munden-v-harris/

Thereā€™s a sort of double theme for at least some of those kinds of cases: (1) injury to oneā€™s feelings or reputation, and (2) the possibility that oneā€™s image might be judged to have some kind of monetary value in itself.

1 Like

Time to become Korean, IMO.

1 Like

Maybe small print in contracts that you signed authorized to use your likeness