Suspicious landlord? ඞ

Yeah, I mean if your budget is $5k per month, it will probably be not that easy to find something much larger (though I don’t know how the market is in Tainan).

Keep your expectations in line with the budget - in this case keep them low, I‘d say :sweat_smile:

As long as it is not a balcony/a rooftop, all izz well.

AC and windows are important for your health. AC eats a lot of electricity, lights and washing machine not that much.

It is described as taofang, which in my mind evokes images of having your private bathroom. Ya fang 雅房 would be the one where you share the bathroom.

I did notice it says deposit is two months. Has there been any mention/negotiating regarding less deposit as it is less time?

1 Like

I’ll bet that the landlord owns the location and it’s approximately 35 ping, which is illegally subdivided into 5-7 tiny spaces for individual rentals.

I hope not. Have you received pictures of the place? If not, I would request (insist) on seeing what the inside looks like before you arrive.

1 Like

I have some pics of the unit indeed… it’s acceptable given the amenities and price…

But given it’s illegal and such that’s not going to matter much if I and him never got into trouble right? Just make sure I got the contract and I’ll be Gucci?

Ah yeah I haven’t negotiate the deposit yet but I think it’s norm for 2 month deposit?

Actually, it is the law. 2 months tops as deposit. Not a cent more.

So in your case when you sign you would pay around 15k, as it is 2 months deposit plus first month up front.

1 Like

I think you’ll be ok.

@icon, what sayeth thou?

@DogmaticStoic also has some recent experience with a dodgy, shared, overpriced, windowless, shithole.

Most places are rented illegally and 99 percent of landlords avoid paying taxes. It’s the nature of the beast. :wall:

As long as this guy is the real owner and aside from dividing a flat or other shenanigans, that cannot be pinned on OP. :idunno:

That said, OP has to make sure the contract is standard, should be OKish.

That said, one more thing. If the place is subdivided, make sure the exit route in case of fire/quake - this last one very likely, sorry to say- are open and clear. Safety first.

3 Likes

Alright then,im not 100% confident with the deal since this is my first time renting in Taiwan. Should I get Tsui mama acc thingies to make sure I’m not getting ripped off?

1 Like

[Not related to OP’s question, but just in general…] It’s surprising to me that this is even mentioned. I mean, would it be even legal to rent out a place that doesn’t have a window?

OK, I found this. Again, not having a window can’t possibly be legal, right?

There’s a difference between „legal“ and „enforced“. I have seen places which barely met the definition of „having“ a window…

Personally, I would never rent a place without a window. No matter if it’s legal or not…

1 Like

Update for information:
Went to the unit, met the landlord, everything is legal and Gucci.

Paid one month’s rent, but haven’t paid the deposit and lease. According to my supervisor it’s all right tho.

A happy ending indeed

5 Likes

You have a very nice landlord :wink:

Hahaha wait until your first typhoon before declaring victory. :grin:

Guy

1 Like

This isn’t the end. This is just the beginning.

1 Like

$5,500 for 5 Ping is ok for Tainan, and 5 Ping is large enough for a studio room.

If I was the landlord, I would charge you this price even if you signed a long-term contract.

No, I don’t believe you’re getting milked.

2 Likes

Yikes–like a prison cell

2 Likes

5 ping is a closet

Honestly, I’d prefer somewhere outside at Chang Kai Shek memorial hall or somewhere.

that’s approximately 4m x 4m about average for a bedroom (not including any onsuite)

My first apartment in Hong Kong right after I graduated from university was only 7 ping. It was a one-bedroom with a living room, dining area, kitchen, and bathroom. It was a tiny apartment but I would hardly call it a closet. How big are your closets?

The OP said his apartment is a studio (one single room), which checks out if it’s 5 ping.