SUV tires/tyres

I need new tyres for my Ford Escape. What price range am I looking at, from cheapest to most expensive? Thanks.

Details Details Details… :unamused:

Although I’m not in Taiwan for pricing, it would help if theres some sizes/brands that you’re looking for. Read the sidewall for your sizes/brands.

Around $10-15,000 installed and balanced. Depends where you are, how far you are willing to go for them and whether they are purely for road use.

A Ford Escape unmodified will never manage serious offroad anyway so just stick to road tyres.

Autobacs has good deals on tires. I used them a lot when in Taiwan.

If you have 4 wheel drive then get M + S tires at least. Escapes are not true 4wheelers but at least you need M + S (mud and snow) tires to make use of the 4wd system in some form.

Over here to go in the Sierras without chains you need 4 wheel drive and M + S tires or else , its chains for you.

Of course. I’m just interested in the plain old bread and butter Bridgestones that originally came with the vehicle.
Thanks to all for contributions.

I don’t know what kind of application you are looking for in your Escape, but regardless, buy the best you can afford. When I put BF goodrich A/T’s on my Rodeo, they set me back 27,000NT. Well, 90k later they still have like 40% of their tread left, and are excellent in everything from sand, rocks and mud. They are simply the best compromise between a road tire and an M/T, which is why they are still do damn popular after so many years. They are also amazing in the rain.

Deep sand without airing down…I have towed everything from lifted Suzuki’s to a Range Rover off of Taiwan’s deep sanded beaches, and have NEVER gotten stuck; even towing that useless slab of dead weight that brits actually think can off-road.

For up to pretty spirited off-roading, it’s a great tire.

Looks great as well:

On a well aligned SUV/Truck, they are supposed to last over 100,000km, which is pretty impressive. I think even with my oversized tires, I’ll get that much or more out of mine.

You’d probably spend around 20-22k for for a set of BFG T/A’s, but they are worth every damn penny. Also might help with the identity crisis that this genre of SUV’s carry with them…

It’s a Ford Escape dude :laughing:

[quote=“MJB”]…even towing that useless slab of dead weight that brits actually think can off-road.
[/quote]

Well, it IS after all, the Range Rover that was the first vehicle to make it through the Darian Gap! Not to mention its utter ubiquity in Africa. Must be a good reason for that, what, old chap!
:wink:

Speaking of bangers, can you get those wursts delivered to Taichung? If so I will get the wife stoking a BBQ right away.

So an Escape is pretty much useless? Even the four wheel drive one in Taiwan? What exactly can the escape do then if it cant go on a beach or on a muddy trail road?

How much do they run over there? I think they are assembled there yeah? So I dont have to worry bout getting one then if its so useless?

The 4WD version is 10-20k more than the 2WD version so I don’t know anyone who bought the 4WD. Same with the Nissan X-Trail. They are basically used as people carriers or large cars. I think MJB is one of the few people with a 4WD truck who actually uses it.

My wife’s family has an X-Trail. I hate it. Not very nice to drive, we can fit almost as much in the Audi and the round-trip gas bill from Taipei to Taichung is almost half. Wife always thought I was just moaning when I complained about the X-Trail’s brakes in particular. Now she got used to driving an A3 the last time we drove their X-Trail she thought the brakes had completely failed. Nope, that’s how they’ve always been :eh:

Oops sorry, off topic, but do get back to me about those sausages.

[quote=“El Toro”][quote=“MJB”]…even towing that useless slab of dead weight that brits actually think can off-road.
[/quote]

Well, it IS after all, the Range Rover that was the first vehicle to make it through the Darian Gap! Not to mention its utter ubiquity in Africa. Must be a good reason for that, what, old chap!
:wink:[/quote]

Sorry, they were heavily assisted by boats and the British army…The real, and first UNASSISTED land crossing by 4wd was made by…

The first all-land auto crossing was in 1985-1987 by Loren Upton in a CJ-5 Jeep, 741 days to travel 125 miles (201 km) all on land. This crossing is documented in the 1992 Guinness Book of Records.

I have very fond memories of owning a first generation Range Rover – it felt more confident off road than any other medium size 4WD I have driven, and I have driven many, including a couple of Rodeos. The Range Rover was incredibly light with an aluminum engine and aluminum body. I got through places in the Saudi desert where Patrols and Landcruisers (the Range Rover’s only real rivals of the day) just bogged down under their own weight.
They also had quite amazing axle articulation – and I don’t think any other vehicle in its class had live axles front and back and supple springs all round. In a first generation Range Rover you could drive over a kerb at 20mph and the car would take it all in its stride. I wouldn’t even contemplate doing that with a Rodeo.
Of course on the highway they had the handling characteristics of a boat, and understeer that would test the most steely of nerves, but hey, for something designed in the 70’s they were pretty good machines that served their purpose admirably.
As mentioned elsewhere, no matter how capable the car, putting shitty road tires on it and driving into sand is guaranteed to get you buried up to the axles.

Was your Rodeo already lifted when you got it, or did you lift it yourself? I guess those tires won’t fit in the clearance given by a stock Rodeo, right?

[quote=“monkey”][quote=“MJB”]
Deep sand without airing down…I have towed everything from lifted Suzuki’s to a Range Rover off of Taiwan’s deep sanded beaches, and have NEVER gotten stuck; even towing that useless slab of dead weight that brits actually think can off-road.

[/quote]Was your Rodeo already lifted when you got it, or did you lift it yourself? I guess those tires won’t fit in the clearance given by a stock Rodeo, right?[/quote]

I lifted it myself…And no, those tires won’t fit on a stock suspension without some serious trimming.

MJB, that’s pretty impressive - how high is the lift?. Did you use one of the Calmini kits?

NT$6,400 for 4 new Bridgestones tires installed and balanced on my truck. (NT$1,600 each) :smiley: Not going on a beach with it, though.

marboulette

[quote=“marboulette”]NT$6,400 for 4 new Bridgestones tires installed and balanced on my truck. (NT$1,600 each) :smiley: Not going on a beach with it, though.

marboulette[/quote]
You’re shittin’ me! I just bought 2 new ones for NT$7000!!! :fume:

Why da hell didn’t u PM me!!