Suzuki SX4 v. Nissan Tiida

Get a rack which mounts on the rear door. Sooner or later you will drive your car in or out of a basement with the bikes on the rack. It’s a matter of time. Roof racks are technically illegal in Taiwan. I’ve used them for years without trouble but they are still illegal.[/quote]

With a rear door mount, won’t you sooner or later back up into a wall or another driver back up into your bike?

Get a rack which mounts on the rear door. Sooner or later you will drive your car in or out of a basement with the bikes on the rack. It’s a matter of time. Roof racks are technically illegal in Taiwan. I’ve used them for years without trouble but they are still illegal.[/quote]

With a rear door mount, won’t you sooner or later back up into a wall or another driver back up into your bike?[/quote]
Heh heh. I tend to use the rear view mirror when reversing and looking at the bikes reminds me they’re there. :wink:
Having bikes hanging off the back presents something unusual to someone parking behind. I think that makes them a bit more careful than they might normally be. My car never got bumped while bikes were on the back, but I didn’t tend to leave it parked for long with them on there.

roof racks are illegal, rear racks that stick out beyond a certain point are illegal, trailers are illegal… soulless joyless nazis.

i prefer racks on the roof, for clean lines and acarrying capacity and rear visibility, but they have disadvantages: fuel economy goes down, especially at highway speeds. you will forget they are on one day and destroy a bike or rip the roof open, and the bikes are difficult to get on there especially for smaller people. plus, you may drop the bike from that height.

the roof racks make sense of you have a multisport life: canoe, ski box, etc as well as bikes. if you just carry two bikes, then the rear carrier is better.

but they may not all be legal: i have been stopped and not allowed entry into the HsueShan Tunnel coming back from Yilan once by a zealous officer who insisted that our three bike carrier at the rear of the van was illegal, as it was too big or something stupid like that, and we could not enter his precious fucking tunnel. he said we should put the bikes inside the car, but there were four bikes inside already…

I think you know very well what would happen if there were no restrictions on how a car or truck could carry load…

hey, if the damn things are illegal, why are they sold here then? morons.

My wife told me that if we get a roof rack, which is what we’re definitely leaning towards, that the Suzuki place assured her they’ll get us the government permit thingy.

This is the guys who are jerking you around about the delivery date eh? :ponder:

I tore my bike off the roof of my car driving into the gas station opposite the Xindian City Hall MRT station.

This is the guys who are jerking you around about the delivery date eh? :ponder:[/quote]

Yea, I don’t put much faith in their word either, but if they don’t do it they’ll have my wife to contend with. :noway:

Bummer. Well, I guess I’ll just have to make a point of trying to always remain very to the fact that the bike’s up there – maybe stick a postit on the windshield as a reminder.

Or a little flappy stick or something extended to in front of your windscreen, reminding you of your height. I’ve never tried it, its just an idea.

I second that suggestion for the rear bike carrier. Although the salesperson has promised to provide some type of permit for a roof rack, they are so few in Taiwan that you are bound to get bothered by the rozzers more often than you’d care for. Not only will you have a hard time loading up the bikes on the roof rack, you’ll definitely get some scratches on your roof and eventually forget that you have bikes up there.

The rear mount bike carriers do a much better job in regards to convenience and overall safety for your bikes (and car). The most important legal point to consider with rear mount bike carriers is that they don’t block the license plate from plain view. Good luck

And lights, and the fact that you can’t simply get another license plate made up to mount on a board at the rear.

This study just released

[quote]NEW YORK – Jaguar and Buick surged to the top of J.D. Power and Associates’ closely watched vehicle dependability study this year, tying for the No. 1 spot and dethroning Lexus for the first time since the Japanese luxury brand has been a part of the survey.

Lexus, Toyota Motor Corp.'s luxury brand, took the next spot in the study released Thursday, followed by Toyota’s namesake brand, then Mercury, Infiniti and Acura.

“Buick and Jaguar both lead the industry in nameplate performance,” said Neal Oddes, director of product research and analysis at J.D. Power. “In terms of individual model performance, Lexus and Toyota still do very, very well.”

The annual study measures problems experienced by the original owners of vehicles after three years. Suzuki owners reported the most problems among the 37 brands assessed by J.D. Power.[/quote]

autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_c … NhcF9qYWc-

Well, screw them. They’re wrong. How do I know? Because we pick up delivery today, so they have to be wrong. Do I care the least bit about that report? No. It’s like the plane crash picture in the news the day I’m flying out of the country: it’s completely irrelevant and this point and I won’t even bother looking at it because nothing will change. But, I’ll let you know down the road if we have problems or not.

On another note, my wife and I went over yesterday to check out the SX4s again to see if maybe I can stick my bike inside of it on this trip, with my daughter sitting in the back (ie., only one back seat folded forward) if we don’t buy a car-bike rack in time. Not a chance. I posted this pic earlier.

As someone noted back then, it’s a phony photo because the roof and side were cut off for the shot, so it’s definitely not that big. Having looked up close yesterday at the real thing, I can definitely say there’s no way you could fit a bike inside with the wheel off and one back seat up. It’s really not so big at all inside – looks kindof like an SUV, but is MUCH smaller. Still, no complaints. It should be at least as roomy as our present Tercel, the trunk’s definitely bigger, and it’ll be all nice and new, etc. Plus, it’s cheap, at less than US$18K (after deducting the NT30K from the govt and talking them down another NT25K).

So, I’m still happy with our decision. I’ll keep you posted.

[color=#800000][quote=“Lo Bo To”]This study just released

[quote]NEW YORK – Jaguar and Buick surged to the top of J.D. Power and Associates’ closely watched vehicle dependability study this year, tying for the No. 1 spot and dethroning Lexus for the first time since the Japanese luxury brand has been a part of the survey.

Lexus, Toyota Motor Corp.'s luxury brand, took the next spot in the study released Thursday, followed by Toyota’s namesake brand, then Mercury, Infiniti and Acura.

“Buick and Jaguar both lead the industry in nameplate performance,” said Neal Oddes, director of product research and analysis at J.D. Power. “In terms of individual model performance, Lexus and Toyota still do very, very well.”

The annual study measures problems experienced by the original owners of vehicles after three years. Suzuki owners reported the most problems among the 37 brands assessed by J.D. Power.[/quote]

autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_c … NhcF9qYWc-[/quote]

I visited the link that you attached by the page is no longer available. Although, I found out that this year, really Jaguar ranked 2nd in Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout along with its sister brand Land Rover on the 9th place. This test includes the performance evaluation of over 37 brands. Well, this year’s ranking of Jaguar is no longer new to the company since it’s its second year on the spot although the good thing about it is that according to the evaluation, Jaguar increased in score compared to last year. This just implies that the innovation on the performance of the jaguar parts made for the 2009 model really worked. Well, this, maybe had motivated the company to further improve the "combination of advanced technologies, new engines, performance enhancements and sleek and stylish revamped interiors, both brands’ product lineups are further improved for the 2010 model year."Kudos to them!

Source: prnewswire.com/news-releases … 19502.html[/color]