🏊 Swimming - How Was Your Swim Today?

Somewhat - but even my most intense swims in the past year or so are around 127bpm average. For me, at least based on how I’ve rigged up my heart zones, that’s high end of Zone 3; 117bpm is low end of Zone 3. My laziest swims are around 110bpm average.

The intensity of my swims is sort of related to the weather - I want to get some intense exercise in, but I prefer cycling to swimming for that. Good weather yesterday, and an 80km bike ride, up over Balaka, down to Jinshan, back around the coast, and up another hill before returning to Danshui. My watch tells me that was 1h19m in Zone 4 (huh, just 1m34s in Zone 5), so I figured that was enough for the latter part of the week! But when the rain sets in - which thankfully hasn’t happened much this year - the swimming gets more intense.

1 Like

Up to 3000 each time I swim now. Lost some excess stomach mass.

2 Likes

Is this the distance you have settled on or do you have something even longer you’re aiming for?

In the back of my mind, I have the Keelung to Keelung Islet swim as a possible crazy goal for this year. I would need some support. Maybe someone on a SUP, then a ride back on a boat.

2 Likes

Am settling on that distance. Takes just a few minutes over 1 hours. Back almost to the form where I was about a decade and a half ago when I was swimming this much.
Just putting in laps, like putting in the kms when biking.

2 Likes

I had a really good swim today. I joined a lane and quickly started shadowing a swimmer. He had a really bad turn and push off, but then would pick things up at around the 12m mark. I couldn’t pass him so I just stayed behind him. But he stopped after around 300-400m. Then someone drafted off of me for a while. All in all I felt strong and I think I’m back to decent swimming shape. I would add maybe 20 or 30 seconds to my swim today since I was getting a free ride for a bit at the start.

Another thing is that I really wasn’t feeling it today. I slept poorly last night and I have a call to the US later this evening. I was very tempted to postpone my swim until tomorrow, but I sucked it up and headed to the pool. I’m really glad I did that. No excuses.

2 Likes

Hi you all
I’m travelling to taiwan (TPE Taoyuean) next week for a month. I would like to know if there’s a group of open water swimmers to join. Thanks

1 Like

I don’t know of an any open water swimmer groups. The things I have seen have been groups arranging a swim on their own, usually with some type of boat support. There’s also a female Taiwanese swimmer who is doing decently in overseas open water events and who plans to swim the English channel (I think that was it), and she sometimes posts her open water swims.

Also, if you just head to the ocean yourself, there are often roped off areas in which you are required to stay in. The lifeguards will call you back in if you swim outside of them. And really, you want to go with a local as some areas are okay and others definitely not okay due to the currents, etc.

My recommendation to you is to go to the Heping Island Seawater Wading Pools:

https://g.co/kgs/Qy1NNEz

There are ropes at the bottom that people follow so it ends up feeling very much like a normal swim in a pool, but it’s still nice to get into salt water. Also, there will be only small groups of other swimmers when you’ll be here.

There are also open water swimming events that are around 2k or so, but these are always during the summer and fall months.

1 Like

that place seems nice to try. I do need a local guide to swim in the ocean, i swim in cold water lakes.

1 Like

Cool. I know many in North America and Europe and doing some very cold water swims this time of year (cutting a hole in the ice, etc. kind of crazy swims!). The Heping Island pools won’t be that cold, of course.

Please share some pictures if you go. You’ll find some in this thread if you scroll up (to around November was the last time I went).

1 Like

I really enjoyed my workouts on my day off. I decided to do some 25m sprints in the pool. Since I will swim on Saturday and Sunday, I wanted to do something a bit different. I hope everyone is getting in some good swims.

2 Likes

I wonder if any apps do a better job of showing swim times per lap, as opposed to averaging out over the whole swim … it’s almost a disincentive to do sprints/ intervals, when it means the app shows a really low average time, even if my sprint splits have actually been really good! “Yeah, I know my average heart rate was nothing special, but look how much time I spent in Zone 5 for the sprints!!!”

Swimming continues much as it has for the past couple of years, for better or for worse. Consistently swimming decent amounts, 2.1km, 2-3 times per week. Occasionally pushing myself more, which feels good for a couple of swims, and then the left arm starts to hurt, so I ease off. Not ideal but hey, I’m in the pool and enjoying myself. No longer doing two days in a row because that definitely aggravates the arm.

My more intense exercise these days isn’t usually in the pool, but rather on a bicycle, whether outdoor or indoor. With that I can get the heart rate up without fearing arm & muscle pain the next day.

1 Like

I think it would help to use the interval function! I just let my watch run and I ignore the stats. I didn’t even notice the 9:52 avg pace for 100m until just now.

The numbers I want are all there. I should be at 15" for 25m. Maybe I’ll do these more often to get that number down. And it sure felt great not breathing, kicking like a madman, and spinning my arms as fast as they could go.

Keep up the good work on the bike. I miss cycling but there’s only so much time in a week.

1 Like

Yeah, if I drill into it the numbers are there, but I wish I could somehow get them reflected in the summary. Of course this is low on the list of problems, but it’s mildly annoying that a really great set of sprints still “looks” lazier than a mundane nonstop medium-speed swim.

A breakdown of time spent in zones does ok at this, certainly better than the average heart rate number.

Edit: I wonder how fast (slow!) my underwaters are these days… off the wall, with a fresh start, I’ll regularly go 9-12m before surfacing. But I have no idea if that’s faster or slower than surfacing faster and doing freestyle for me. For the pros, yeah, the underwater dolphin kick is faster, but I only started figuring this out in the past couple of years! My pool is 50m, so I don’t know what my 25m times would be these days.

1 Like

I thoroughly enjoyed today’s swim, not because of how the workout felt to me (it felt like a solid swim to me and that’s about it), but how ecstatic one of the swimmers was after seeing our time and not stopping for the duration.

I’ve been swimming with a group for about 8 months or so, and one in the group shows up when I do about once every two weeks. Typically, I’m leading the group, he’s in the 3rd position, and he needs to stop 2-3 times over the duration of our 1500m.

I always feel a bit embarrassed (is this the right word?) when he goes on an on about how fast we are. He’s a badass amateur triathlete who broke 10 hours for the Ironman distance a few years ago. He’s well known in Taiwan among other amateur triathletes.

So when he held on without stopping for our 1500m, which we did in under 27 minutes, I was very happy for him. And he was all smiles and very talkative after the swim, going over all the details, such as our 500m split times.

I better be careful because he’s going to end up kicking our asses soon. He most definitely has the cardiovascular ability to do it.

2 Likes

Good to be back and able to have a swim again after 2 months in the desert.

1 Like

Awesome! Where is that? I see an island in the distance. Keelung?

It’s in Penghu, one side of the village.

1 Like