Swimming in the time of Covid19

Does one of you know a public swimming pool good for swimming laps, so at least 25m long or Olympic sized 50m long? We have a beautiful long pool on the rooftop of our hotel, but it is closed due to Covid19. Also the university pool seems closed, but it is difficult to find that out since the internet says open…would be glad for an answer, willing to go anywhere in Taipei!

Just don’t swim in the golden river. :toilet:

1 Like

You already gave the answer.

I know my university pool is closed, as of last week. There was a newspaper article a couple of weeks ago about all New Taipei City (新北市) pools and gyms shutting down - I just tried a very quick google search but couldn’t find the article again. I haven’t heard one way or the other about Taipei City.

Hey,
In this Pandemic every thing is closed. I am from India and we are also on 21 days lockdown. I hope you will find a swimming pool in your city.

Where in India are you? We’ve seen some pretty nightmarish stuff in the news.

Taipei City sports center pools are open (one in each district). Not many people these days so even a 25m pool is plenty good enough. Most are 25m.

2 Likes

Are you swimming in those lately? I really want to swim but the risk of infection worried me

1 Like

Yes, I do. I started cycling again. But I can’t imagine giving up swimming altogether. I go less often and I take it a bit easy because of that. I may have discovered a big mistake in my left arm high elbow by taking things real slow.

1 Like

same here. Miss water so much…which pool would you concretely recommend us? We are based near Banqiao Station…

1 Like

Banqiao is New Taipei City. I believe all have been closed. Only Taipei city ones open

2 Likes

New Taipei City sports centers are closed until 4/3 or so. You can search “taipei city sports centers” and see what’s closest.

1 Like

thats what I did, but unfortunately it said temporarily closed. So that´s why I wanted to ask you concretely…we can take the MRT no problem. Everything that looked open was closed when we called. So thats why…

1 Like

On the green line, Chongshan, Songshan, and Nangang Sports Centers all open. Maybe there’s one closer, though. Taipei Sports Centers all open.

Oh that’s a bit reassuring. I didn’t know there was a scheduled end date, even if it’s likely provisional. I feared I’d be out of the water for months or even a year.

1 Like

I checked. The two weeks of closure end 4/2. But then there are national holidays so you’ll need to check about 4/3 opening.

It doesn’t take long to lose the feel for water.

1 Like

My biggest worry is my back. If I’m swimming regularly, my lower back is fine - but it’s already starting to twinge a bit, and if that becomes an issue, that may limit how much I can lift weights, or ride a bike.

Oh well. A very, very minor issue compared to what much of the rest of the world is facing.

1 Like

Focusing on minor issues is sometimes a good thing at this time.

I’ve been having this left rear delt issue. So a couple of weeks ago, I let my left hand drop (I mean I just kind of let gravity do its work), rotated to the right with my hips, then pulled on through with my lats. It was a deliberate, jerky motion on my left. But no pain! I then looked at my time for the 1000m swim and it was decent. Better than normal for that effort level. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

1 Like

One of my biggest low-level gripes about swimming … I don’t know how to sprint anymore! When I get in an efficient flow, that’s great, but when it’s the last 25 meters and I want to deliberately wipe myself out, I try to sprint but the stroke gets so much choppier. I’m definitely expending more effort but I sure as heck feel sloppy and I suspect the speed doesn’t get any better.

1 Like

I think many people approach swimming like running, when it’s a very different sport. I know I did in the past. You can run 5k and then sprint the last 100-400m. No problem. But at the end of a 1000m swim, for example, you will definitely get sloppy. And you really want to avoid reinforcing sloppy style muscle memory.

So you can do a couple of things. Do sprints at the beginning, say 25m sprints with decent rest. Or you can take a break after your regular swim then take some time to work on some drills, different strokes, and also throw in some sprints.

Many swimmers do only intervals, BTW. They do this for all the normal reasons, and also (and this is key) to keep your form good throughout for reinforcing good muscle memory.

I like doing sprints every once in a while. No breathing for the 25m lap, crank my arms around in a windmill type of action, and kick like a madman. It’s a great feeling.

2 Likes