Swimming in the time of Covid19

How about swimming in beaches?
Any restrictions on that?

1 Like

I went to baishawan two weeks ago. No swimming allowed yet. You can go in about waist high. But with a surfboard or boogie board, you can go out as far as you want. So I rented a boogie board.

All this was normal rules for this time of year. Nothing to do with the virus.

2 Likes

We went to Zhongshan Sports center. It has an Olympic size pool and itā€™s open. We were very happy to be able to swim there, however it is extremely warm water, which does not light let us work out quickly, but bathešŸ˜€. For really working out we need colder water, does anybody of you know an open pool that offers colder water, like 24 to 27Ā° instead of almost 30Ā°?

Any idea if the pools have reopened, or if theyā€™re still closed? (Iā€™ll be surprised if theyā€™re open at this stage.)

The two weeks period was extended for 28 days, so around 4/17 for reopening. That must be for all of New Taipei City, but I didnā€™t check that (only Xizhi for sure at this point).

1 Like

Zhongshan is 25m. Do you mean Songshan? As for the temperature, 30 degrees seems to be a bit on the high side. I donā€™t remember any pool being that high. But really, thatā€™s not a huge reason to want to switch pools, is it? I mean when running, we run in different weather conditions. My guess is that 30 degrees was a mistake on that particular day you went.

Now that I think of it, you need to test to swim in the 50m Songshan pool. So I guess you did mean Zhongshan. Thatā€™s 25m.

1 Like

Confucious said < 30 is bad for your bodyā€¦

We went to Zhongshan and it is 50m and it was extremely warm both days we went. The water temperature is way to high for us, but we know that Europeans favor colder waters, that is of course our problem. However, it is also known that above 28degrees swimming fast is actually dangerous for your cardiovascular system. This is the reasons why many competitions in open water are prohibited when they are 30 or more. Then drownings can occur. For us as competitive master swimmers it would defnitely be a reason to switch pools, since we can only ā€œbatheā€ and swim really slow in those high temperatures. We have seen only 2 ā€œreal swimmersā€ when we were there, maybe for this reason. I wonder where the real swimmers goā€¦

1 Like

Youā€™re on the wrong island, I suspect. Iā€™m not a particularly good swimmer - OK, I was on a swim team when I was a kid, so I suppose Iā€™m better than a typical middle-aged male. When I do lengths swimming in Canada Iā€™m decidedly average. But in the lunchtime swims at my university, Iā€™m almost always the fastest in the pool, and less than a third of the swimmers are even doing front crawl. The majority are going back and forth with what looks to me like a very lackadaisical breast stroke.

Caveat: I believe the swim team trains at night, so I donā€™t often see how I compare to them. I hope theyā€™re faster than I am!

1 Like

You could try Dahu Park outdoor 50mā€¦

2 Likes

Zhongshan pool is shown here:

https://cssc.cyc.org.tw/sportscenter/1

Thereā€™s nothing mentioning the size of the pool but from the picture itā€™s obvious itā€™s 25m. This is really bothering me because itā€™s making me think thereā€™s a 50m pool Iā€™m unaware of.

I never heard of the over 30 degrees rule. Itā€™s always been a bit cold when I did open water swims. I wore my wetsuit several times.

As for the level of swimming here, well itā€™s not very high to be honest. Iā€™m surprised you even saw two people who can swim decently.

Edit: Go to Songshan. Test for the 50m pool. They have a testing time in the evening and in the morning. It is unheated. At this time of the year, I think youā€™ll be very happy about the temperature.

Edit2: In the link, you have select B2 in the drop-down menu to see the pool. The flags for the backstroke are placed 5m out, as we all know. So itā€™s obvious weā€™re seeing a 25m pool.

1 Like

I am afraid I misspelled the pool, sorry, for a European it looks very similar: http://www.tpejjsports.com.tw/zh-TW/english/ So this is Zhongzheng Sports Center and definitely a 50m pool. I would not mistake never mistake the two length when competitively swimming since almost 50 years;-))))). Sorry for the mistake

1 Like

Ha, ha! Thanks for clarifying that. I WAS starting to wonder, to be honest! If 30 degrees is normal for that pool, maybe you can try the Songshan pool. But they have limited times in the morning and evening.

Let me know if you need any help with navigating their website. I donā€™t have time right now.

With the recent relative lack of Covid-19 cases, I hope some of the pools will reopen, but too early to tell I suppose.

So, since some of us canā€™t swim, how about doing what this Olympian does?

3 Likes

Bump: hey, maybe swimming pools will reopen a bit sooner than I thought! From one of todayā€™s press conferences:

2 Likes

Yay! Wait, Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m ready to do this, as desperately as I want to get back in the pool!

1 Like

Are we allowed to swim in the sea now?

As of yesterday, that is explicitly banned though you can do most other sports at the beach.

Swimming pools inside are, however, apparently open now.

Only in Taiwanā€¦

1 Like

Showers are apparently closed at (some?) places, however.