Swimming Lessons? Instructors in English?

Hi kids,

I've recently started up swimming for fitness, after years and years of not doing it (re: swimming lessons as a kid and that's about it).  Anyway, I think I'm doing something wrong 'cause my lowerback is hurting after I swim.  Plus, I don't have a set routine or plan, I just kind of go in and swim.  Someone who can put me on a better path would be greatly appreciated.  Anyone know anyone?

Cheers,
Rob

Generally swimming should not give you a sore back, however if you’ve just started swimming after doing no exercise for a while, expect to be sore. My suggestion is to do lots of stretches before u swim and start off slow. (you wont have much choice if there are 10 locals in your lane anyway)

I wouldn’t take lessons here as the Taiwanese have no idea how to swim… I’ve seen one guy giving lessons outside of the water…

My SO learnt how to swim by imitating others and whilst her stroke isn’t perfect its pretty damn good. I wouldn’t suggest you imitate over here. If you want I can give you some pointers… I should really be getting into the swimming again anyway. I can go to either the pool close to Minzu Jilin Road or the one on Zhongshan.

One of the most basic activities of swimming is to get coordination right. Out of the water exercises are standard for any learner. You do exercises pool side so you can get the stroke right without worring about drowning.

Robert -

webswim.com/index.php

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s … efault.stm

Are a couple of useful sites for you. As for the back pain; you may be rushing into it too quickly. Do some slow warm ups first. Do you do any other kind of exercise? Swimming is a great all round exercise - it is possible you need to get used to your new routine.

It is possible that instead of rolling on to your side to breathe you are “breaching” (lifting your body out of the water - the back pain could also come from this -make sure you roll when doing frontstroke (freestyle)).

Taipei 101 bookshop Page One has some great books in the sports section. You could go in there and have a peek to help you.

I started to learn about four years ago, last week I swam a mile for the first time. I had an instructor for six months or so when I lived in England - since then I have been self-taught. Watching others is also a good way to learn what not to do too.

Use those links above to get yourself started. Unfortunately, I can’t recommend you an English speaking tutor. If anyone knows of a good one please let us know.

The pools here are generally good. Try to avoid evenings and weekends if you can.

Hope this helps.

L.

Given there is only 1 50m swimming pool in London, it doesn’t surprise me that your swimmers have to spend so much time out of the pool. Back in Aus we get thrown into the pool before we can walk.

Seriously, I had maybe 1 or 2 lessons outside of the water in more than 10 years of training

Are you aussie or Brit?

I never practiced beside the pool and I had swimming lessons every summer for rour years in a row. That was in the US, so there were a lot of swimming pools available and there was never a problem getting space. I think the classes were held at the local high school’s swimming pool.

My sister teaches swimming but sorry, you’ll have to go to Australia to take her classes.

If you’re brave, I’d suggest you could go to any place that has swimming and ask for a class. Maybe not at the first place you go to, but if you are persistent you can usually find someone who’s got decent English and is willing to act the fool for you. I’ve found a lot of bass guitar teachers that way. They won’t speak perfect English, but you might even learn a few Chinese swimming terms along the way. I think at least 10% of Taiwanese people can speak passable (second grade or above) English, so if you keep your eye out at the right places you can usually find a teacher.

There is a saying that when it is the right time for you to meet a teacher, you will find one.

[quote=“robertnear”]Hi kids,

I've recently started up swimming for fitness, after years and years of not doing it (re: swimming lessons as a kid and that's about it).  Anyway, I think I'm doing something wrong 'cause my lowerback is hurting after I swim.  Plus, I don't have a set routine or plan, I just kind of go in and swim.  Someone who can put me on a better path would be greatly appreciated.  Anyone know anyone?

Cheers,
Rob[/quote]

Rob,

What strokes do you use when swimming?

I taught swimming lessons and lifeguarded for a few years many years ago in Canada. I took any number of courses and such to get to that point. All of my training and later teaching incorporated an element of out-of-water instruction/practice.

Hi damafen, would you be interested in teaching a couple lessons? I’ve not had a tutor for years and would like to check that I’m doing okay. I’m Taipei based.

PM me if you are interested.

Cheers.

L.

[quote=“Tyc00n”]I wouldn’t take lessons here as the Taiwanese have no idea how to swim…[/quote]I don’t agree. I made big improvements in my swimming style due to instruction from a local swimming teacher. And I know quite a few people who swim very well.

Well all I can say is that swimming is the only activity in which the locals show some innovation… they make up the strokes. I’ve seen something which I’ve called the dolphin stroke which is just jumping off the bottom of the pool into a dive.

Whilst I’m sure a beginner could make some improvements and become a more competent swimmer I still don’t consider the locals good… they don’t roll their body in free style, or cup the water, or have gaps between their fingers. In breaststroke, they don’t come up out of the water. I’ve never seen a tumble turn.

However I guess you can still learn something… its just that if you want to be an efficient swimmer you are probably learning bad habits.

The pools here piss me off too…

1. I must wear a swimming cap even if my head is shaved and my chest is covered in hair :loco:
  2. I cannot take waterproof electronics into the pool because its just against the rules
  3. Swimmers hock up gooy’s which they spit into the drain (don’t they know its recycled? :noway: )

It may sound arrogant, but I trained competitively in the best swimming nation in the world… so very few countries would be on par…

Yes you see some interesting swimming styles around but then you can see that most places.

I learned good, efficient breast stroke here. And as I said, I know some good swimmers.

thanks for the help guys.

so far, I’m only going into the pool once a week (I go to another gym twice a week). I do about thirty or so laps of breaststroke and freestyle, each. I’m not sure if that’s enough… or if it’s too much. My friend told me that about twelve of each constitutes a warmup. I go to the pool near Ximen/Taipei Main station, I think it’s called ‘Yuanshan Community Centre’. Good pool for a good price in my estimation, and if you early on a Saturday it isn’t too busy.