Swiss court to expand the field of assisted suicides

[quote]LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — A ruling by Switzerland’s highest court released Friday has opened up the possibility that people with serious mental illnesses could be helped by doctors to take their own lives.

Switzerland already allows physician-assisted suicide for terminally ill patients under certain circumstances. The Federal Tribunal’s decision puts mental illnesses on the same level as physical ones.

“It must be recognized that an incurable, permanent, serious mental disorder can cause similar suffering as a physical (disorder), making life appear unbearable to the patient in the long term,” the ruling said.

“If the death wish is based on an autonomous decision which takes all circumstances into account, then a mentally ill person can be prescribed sodium-pentobarbital and thereby assisted in suicide,” it added.[/quote]

Damn. Just…damn. :s
What is preventing these folks from doing themselves in without their doctor’s approval? “I’m not sick enough to actually go through with it myself doc, so can you finish me off?”

damn
usatoday.com/news/world/2007 … htm?csp=34

[quote=“jdsmith”] amn. Just…damn. :s
What is preventing these folks from doing themselves in without their doctor’s approval? “I’m not sick enough to actually go through with it myself doc, so can you finish me off?”[/quote]

Well some people might be to dumb to know they need putting down.

Also we should be able to ask for being shot up and put out of our misery whenever we feel like it. Not all healthy people want to take part of living anymore either.

We should just be able to walze up to any clinic and ask for the Shot of Death without all those intrusive tests. Why wait to get a nasty mental illness or wake up to find yourself almost braindead from an accident or other misadventure.

We should be putting that pentobarbital on the table along with the salt and pepper shakers.

Damn.

Seriously, some people may be unable to move and therefore unable to do themselves in.