Switching ARC/getting fired

Been at my current job for 8 months. I keep thinking it’ll improve, but it keeps getting worse and worse. I’m a hard worker and want to fufill my contract, but I am so fed up.

I came here wanting to work legally, got a job at a Kindy and didn’t find out until the ARC process was already well underway (6 weeks later!) that they could not legally hire me and were getting my ARC issued through a Bushiban I’ve never set foot in. Now I feel trapped and out of options.

My contract is up in August. Question – if I quit, do I have any chance of finding another job and getting another ARC? I have teaching experience back home, a BA, and CELTA. Or will the govmt deport me and blackball any future ARC applications? What happens if I stop doing all the crap they ask me to do and get fired? Do I have to leave Taiwan?

I want to be here fopr another two or three years, until I can speak CHinese. I know I can get a new and better job in September, but I’m not sure if I can wait much longer.

Help? Advice? Been there, done that?

There are many things that can happen to make it hard to obtain your goals in Taiwan. I suggest that you find an English school and transfer your ARC there instead of getting fired or quitting. Most English schools will do all the work for you and answer your questions.

You can also find a Taiwan friend to review your ARC and find the “Bushiban”. You can make a deal with them to keep your ARC until your next job.

Don’t forget to pay your taxes for salary earned in this company. When it comes to filing your taxes, you can get copies of your tax deduction forms directly from the tax offices.

You can check out Badger412’s post “Contract termination, ARC, and Tax” on 2-25-2002 and Hartzell’s reply.

oriented.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php? … 9&t=000326

In order to transfer your ARC without having to leave the country and reapplying, you need a release letter from your actual employer, the “Bushiban”. You can type up a release letter and try to get them to sign it without letting your company knowing. The release letter should be formal and state that you have no outstanding obligations with them and can leave on xx/xx/xx date. Remember to be humble and courteous. If they don’t like you, you may not get the letter signed and find yourself stuck in this matter.

Thanks for the replies. My employer doesn’t hate me yet because they know I’m good at my job, but I don’t think they would make it easy for me to leave by signing a release paper should I find another school…that seems really unlikely.

I might be able to stick it out until my contract ends, that would be best and easiest. We’ll see…

Thanks.