Syria getting more air time

I want to invade Syria. Nothing much worth watching on CNN these days.

No sure they’ll take you too seriously. They might not even arrest you, just reassure you and try to contact any concerned relatives. :wink:

they do get a lot of attention… of course one can’t help but wonder if we’re ever gonna hear anything about the 500 lb. gorilla in the room…

http://www.adnki.com/index_2Level.php?cat=Terrorism&loid=8.0.179552768&par=0

No sure they’ll take you too seriously. They might not even arrest you, just reassure you and try to contact any concerned relatives. :wink:[/quote]

I think fred’s just going to spam them to death, or into submission.

Well, IF Lebanon does manage to shake off the corrupt Syrian gangs that control its economy, this is a major loss of not only revenue and a major drug route to Europe, but also it is a loss of a place to send unemployed Syrians. Let’s hope things keep heating up in Damascus. With the Western front gone, we can concentrate on containing Iran AND pushing Saudi Arabia to reform.

Iran’s elections were a joke. I am glad the hardliner won. Now, all pretenses that the system can be reformed through the mullahocracy are gone. Let the revolution begin.

Yeah and the goal is regime chance to suit the US business boys. The usual script.

Then years of death and bombs and that is just the US draftees dying.

Fred smith and the rest of the Bush supporters will be sitting back swilling JD and watching sports while GI’s die for business.

Iraq is a shambles and Fred smith’s grand prediction was bollux. Sane people got it right, the people imbued with blood and money still think they are doing something just. Your leader is a liar.

I read in the Washington Times that Syria has weapons of mass destruction.
I think if we just go over there and set off some cherry bombs, the shock and awe
will cause a mass revolt and they will thank us for bringing them democracy.
Within a few months we can put King George on a destroyer off the coast of
San Diego, turn it around 180 degrees, and circulate photos of him underneath
a Mission Accomplished banner.

Then we can send in Halliburton to help them rebuild. Should only cost a
trillion dollars or so. You just can’t put a price tag on “democracy”.

I’m glad the USA is Israel’s bitch. Kind of like Jews for Jesus, in reverse.

Prove that US business has benefited from the Iraq or Afghan wars. Remember that 4 million refugees were able to return to Afghanistan. What more willing consumers of US products now that they are not starving to death and farming their children out as prostitutes in Karachi and Teheran just to survive? Oh dear. How terrible.

The numbers of all US and allied troops deaths in the past 2.5 years in Afghanistan and Iraq is still lower than the number of Americans that died on 911. Yes, bloody, bloody wars.

I don’t drink Scotch. I prefer Champagne and while you have this nice little stereotype of Republicans all worked out (what monopoly man bad to you as a child?), no one here believes that you care more about US troops than we do. No one. Don’t even try to pretend.

Iraq is somewhat of a shambles. I think that you are concentrating your attention too much on the Sunni triangle, which is pretty much as you said a shambles. Even with this mess, Kurdistan is booming and stable and most of Shia Iraq is fine. So 12 percent growth this year. A shambles? including the mess in the Sunni triangle and 12 percent growth after 52 percent last year. Hmmm.

52% of nearly nothing is not much and 12% increase on that doesn’t amount to much; in fact it could be regarded as a significant slowdown back to well, not a lot. It’s good to see Fred Smith boasting about America’s stunning under-achievement for a change. Billions pumped into Iraq and well…er, sorry…women GI’s just died so it’s time to take a break and let you neo-cons look up your own bottoms for an answer as that seems to be the place from which you derive most of your problem-solving acumen.

Yup, it’s a shambles. And the solution is (see above) bound to be crap.

Um someone has not read the latest World Bank report has he? Flippancy may suffice to allow you to have a bit of cynical fun but your message is an empty one.

I mislaid it. It was on the coffee table this morning. Maybe one of the kids took it.

Damn.

timesonline.co.uk/article/0, … 25,00.html

Looks like the war is coming to the doorstep.

[quote]Insurgents killed in Damascus gunfight
By Nicholas Blanford

A SYRIAN policeman was killed and two militants captured during fighting on a mountain overlooking Damascus yesterday in a second day of battles between Syrian security forces and rebels connected with the war in Iraq.
The gunbattle, which allegedly involved former bodyguards of Saddam Hussein, came amid indications that the Syrian Government is increasing its efforts to capture militants who use Syria as a staging ground for attacks in Iraq.

Sana, the official Syrian news agency, reported:

I am shocked. Absolutely shocked. The idea that top Saddam loyalists are in Syria and well armed and having shootouts. Well, the very idea. I had nary a clue that these people might have found refuge in Syria. Well, well, well. Next you will be telling me that top al Qaeda representatives fled to and have found refuge in Iran!

Fred, please stop this conspiracy laden paranoia and seek help. I mean, for gosh’s sake, Iran has clearly stated that there are NO al-Qaeda in Iran.

Please, I say this in utmost concern for your mental health…stop.

I am going mad. I dreamed last night that Kofi Annan, his son, the French and Russian ambassadors and other top-level officials in various organizations that were against the US invasion of Iraq were implicated in corruption that may have influenced their votes in the security council. Should I get help?

No, don’t go and get help.

Get elected as the UN Secretary General and clean up the worlds mess.

Well if Bolton cannot get confirmed for the few flippant remarks he had made about the UN, what makes you think all of my volumes of abuse will enable me to get the job? haha

myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/my … 666441.htm

[quote]U.S. assails Syria as area troublemaker

WILLIAM C. MANN

Associated Press[/quote]

[quote]WASHINGTON - In a spirited attack, the State Department’s spokesman on Friday accused Syria of making trouble not only for Iraq, by allowing foreign fighters to infiltrate the country, but also for Lebanon and the Palestinians.

“Syria, more and more, is being recognized as a destabilizing element in the region,” Adam Ereli said Friday. “It’s not just about Iraq; it’s about Iraq, it’s about Lebanon, it’s about the Palestinian Authority. Because there’s a connection between Syria and terrorism and murder and mayhem in each of these three different areas.”

Syrian President Bashar Assad’s government insists it is doing what it can to keep foreigners from crossing its border into Iraq and has said in the past it was trying to control militant anti-Israeli Palestinian groups based in Damascus.

The Americans contend that many of the suicide bombings in Iraq since the U.S.-led invasion 2 1/2 years ago have been committed by foreign fighters who entered the country through Syria. State Department and other U.S. spokesmen have alleged the bombers pass through Damascus’ airport with impunity on their way to the border.

“Innocent people are getting blown up in Iraq because Syria is allowing its territory to be used by terrorists bent on sowing murder and mayhem in Iraq,” Ereli said. “And they’re not going to succeed. The international community is not going to let this continue to happen.”

He accused Syria, which removed its occupying army from Lebanon this year, of maintaining “a residual presence” that endangers Lebanon’s sovereignty and its people.

As for the Palestinian Authority in Gaza and the West Bank, Ereli said Syria continues its association “with terrorist elements that are bent on sabotaging the peace process. … And they are certainly out of step with the rest of the world on that.”[/quote]

Head
block
chop

[quote=“jdsmith”]http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/news/breaking_news/12666441.htm

[quote]U.S. assails Syria as area troublemaker

WILLIAM C. MANN

Associated Press[/quote]

[quote]WASHINGTON - In a spirited attack, the State Department’s spokesman on Friday accused Syria of making trouble not only for Iraq, by allowing foreign fighters to infiltrate the country, but also for Lebanon and the Palestinians.

“Syria, more and more, is being recognized as a destabilizing element in the region,” Adam Ereli said Friday. “It’s not just about Iraq; it’s about Iraq, it’s about Lebanon, it’s about the Palestinian Authority. Because there’s a connection between Syria and terrorism and murder and mayhem in each of these three different areas.”

Syrian President Bashar Assad’s government insists it is doing what it can to keep foreigners from crossing its border into Iraq and has said in the past it was trying to control militant anti-Israeli Palestinian groups based in Damascus.

The Americans contend that many of the suicide bombings in Iraq since the U.S.-led invasion 2 1/2 years ago have been committed by foreign fighters who entered the country through Syria. State Department and other U.S. spokesmen have alleged the bombers pass through Damascus’ airport with impunity on their way to the border.

“Innocent people are getting blown up in Iraq because Syria is allowing its territory to be used by terrorists bent on sowing murder and mayhem in Iraq,” Ereli said. “And they’re not going to succeed. The international community is not going to let this continue to happen.”

He accused Syria, which removed its occupying army from Lebanon this year, of maintaining “a residual presence” that endangers Lebanon’s sovereignty and its people.

As for the Palestinian Authority in Gaza and the West Bank, Ereli said Syria continues its association “with terrorist elements that are bent on sabotaging the peace process. … And they are certainly out of step with the rest of the world on that.”[/quote]

Head
block
chop[/quote]

[color=blue]All of the above is true of Pakistan in Afghanistan too except instead of some American official complaining about it the president of Afghanistan is making the accusation.

Is that true in Iraq? Is President Talabani accusing Syria of the same things?

Here’s what Iraqi officials seem to be more concerned about than any Syrian mischief in their country:[/color]

"Iraq’s justice minister has condemned the U.S. military for detaining thousands of Iraqis for long periods without charge and wants to change a U.N. resolution that gives foreign troops immunity from Iraqi law.

Speaking to Reuters, Justice Minister Abdul Hussein Shandal also criticised U.S. detentions of Iraqi journalists and said the media, contrary to U.S. policy in Iraq, must have special legal protection to report on all sides in the conflict.

"No citizen should be arrested without a court order," he said this week, complaining that U.S. suggestions that his ministry has an equal say on detentions were misleading.

“There is abuse (of human rights) due to detentions, which are overseen by the Multinational Force (MNF) and are not in the control of the justice ministry,” said Shandal, a Shi’ite judge respected for standing up to Saddam Hussein on the rule of law.

Killings and unjustified arrests of Iraqi civilians by U.S. troops risked going unpunished, he said, because of U.N. Security Council resolution 1546, which granted U.S.-led forces sweeping powers following their overthrow of Saddam in 2003."

Fred, Christmas may come early.

U.S. diplomat says Syria not heeding U.S. calls

[quote]
CAIRO (Reuters) - A top U.S. diplomat said on Sunday Washington was worried about Syrian interference in Iraq, Lebanon and the conflict between Israelis and Palestinians, and said Damascus did not seem to be heeding U.S. calls to keep out.

David Welch also told reporters in Cairo that this month’s release of a U.N. report on the assassination of Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik al-Hariri would probably be an occasion for the world to send a signal to Syria about its "misbehavior."

“Our worries are not just with respect to the situation in Iraq but also with respect to Syrian interference in Lebanon and its renewed interference in the situation of the Palestinians and the Israelis,” said Welch, who is U.S. assistant secretary of state for Near Eastern affairs.

“These are very, very difficult issues, and we would ask the Syrian government not to interfere in such matters. It appears they are not listening and it seems that this behavior is not changing,” he said after talks with Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak.

The United States has said Syria has continued to meddle in Lebanon after withdrawing its troops and warned Damascus it could face isolation if it did not cooperate with Baghdad on security. It has also long accused Syria, which has land occupied by Israel, of backing Palestinian militants.

A U.N. team led by German prosecutor Detlev Mehlis is due to issue its report on Hariri’s killing to the U.N. Security Council by October 25. Many Lebanese accuse Syria of being behind Hariri’s killing although Damascus denies this.

I expect that this (report) will be another occasion when the international community is going to send the very strongest of signals to the Syrians about their misbehavior,” Welch said. [/quote]

news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051009/wl_ … a_syria_dc

Bah, I don’t believe the “International Community” will do a damn thing for fear of looking like a big meanie sourpuss. But I guess the US and maybe the Brits will do some target practice, hopefully with laser guided cruise missiles.

Check back on 10/25 for the UN report.

have a nice day :slight_smile: