T Bone Steak, 500NT a Kg?

I asked a guy I know that owns a Beef noodle place how much could he get me some nice beef cut from his supplier, I asked for T-Bone. Today he told me 500 NT a Kg. I found it cheap.
I do not know what kind of beef it is yet i.e US, NZ or AU or TW.
In any case, do you think it is cheap?

Definitely not US, unless he smuggled it in.

Thanks legislative yuan. :raspberry:

You say that because it is too cheap, right?

Edit: It is US steak. I’ll pick it up tonight and see.

You say that because it is too cheap, right?

Edit: It is US steak. I’ll pick it up tonight and see.[/quote]

Huh??? :eh:

No, I said that because I thought all US bone-in beef was illegal in Taiwan due to the idiotic lawmakers’ fears of mad cow disease and/or political pressure from the NZ beef industry and/or their superstitious constituents.

AFAIK, Costco doesn’t sell either hamburger or bone-in beef from the US. I thought that was due to the ban.

I thought kilos in Taiwan were smaller.

You mean jin1 斤, the catty, as opposed to gong1jin1, the official international metric kilo? Nobody calls the former a ‘kilo’ AFAIK.

Well. How it goes? 500NT/Kg is a very good deal, provided the meat quality is decent.

[quote]Mother Theresa
No, I said that because I thought all US bone-in beef was illegal in Taiwan due to the idiotic lawmakers’ fears of mad cow disease and/or political pressure from the NZ beef industry and/or their superstitious constituents.[/quote]
That is no longer so. It has been legal to import US bone-in beef since a month ago. They are available in some up-scale restaurants.

Papa Gio got a 1Kg Fiorentina T-Bone steak for NT1450. Gotta check it out, one of these days.

Great. Hopefully Costco will start importing it soon too. :discodance:

The steak was great by the way. :slight_smile:

[quote]igorveni
The steak was great by the way. [/quote]
:bravo:
Now. How can the rest of us get some? :pray:

Start a beef noodle place

[quote=“LPeterC”][quote]igorveni
The steak was great by the way. [/quote]
:bravo:
Now. How can the rest of us get some? :pray:[/quote]

Or, befriend a guy who has one and he’ll hook you up.

Many places offer T-Bone and bone-in ribeye steak, bad sadly they are very expensive.
etaiwannews.com/etn/news_con … TAIWAN_eng

Far Eastern Hotel (38F), Formosa Regent steak house, and Sheraton also have USDA Prime bone-in set menus for a price.

I went to Costco last week and they still won’t carry bone-in beef, although I did complain about it. Maybe if enough people voice there desire they will start selling it. But they did start selling fresh ground US beef again like the old days. The first thing I did was buy a bunch to make some fat juicy burgers!

What kid of a glutton would you have to be to scarf down a whole kilo of beef?

never did find porterhouse or T-bone the best steak, so I’ve always been mystified why people go gaga about it so much. Top sirloin is much nicer, or rib-eye…

but 500NT a kilo for US T-bone sounds like a good price.

What kid of a glutton would you have to be to scarf down a whole kilo of beef?

never did find porterhouse or T-bone the best steak, so I’ve always been mystified why people go gaga about it so much. Top sirloin is much nicer, or rib-eye…

but 500NT a kilo for US T-bone sounds like a good price.[/quote]
Well, I am not a kid. And, I wouldn’t crown myself as a glutton. Once had two 22oz. porterhouse at Claim Jumper. They over cook the first one, but left it at the table for me to do anything I choose to. While they re-make another one, I finished this one off. The second one was done perfectly. By the way, I washed them down with one and half pitcher of weissenbier.

T-bone or porterhouse can be delicious if you use decent quality meat and prepare it properly. Sirloin can be awful, though cheap, as served by Frank’s Texas BBQ. Same with the ribeye I had at Cosmopolitan, right before they moved to Bella Vita. In both cases, they used inferior quality beef and made them even worse through improper preparation.

By the way, Carrefour is having chuck rib for $35/100g. Ask for the whole chunck in vacuum pack. I know, this is not a good cut for steak, but the price is enticing. Over the weekend, I tried sous-vide at home, with a 10L pot filled with water, cooking for 24hrs at 60~65C. Finish off with blow torch, season with salt only. Everyone in the family loved it. My five years old son just can’t stop having more, the same one who spit out, a well prepared and tender, fillet-mignon the day before at The Steak Inn.[

i wonder what your blood levels of urate, triglyceride, and LDL cholesterol are! that’s a lot of meat.

I agree with you about the quality of the meat being important, but I still much prefer the texture of a plump rib eye to the flat porterhouse. Personal preference, I guess.