Taco Bell

I met an exec from Taco Bell by chance when I was in Hong Kong a while ago. He confirmed that they have no plans to open any in Taiwan, although I can’t remember the reason why (a bit tipsy at the time, sorry; yes, I know you’re thinking, ‘What else is new?’ ). :blush:

They do have sort of a dressed-up Taco Bell in Shanghai that he said has been successful.

It’s not just in Taiwan. They don’t have any in Tokyo, either. I was on a trip there with some friends once and one guy had a craving for Taco Bell, but couldn’t find anything listed in the phone directory. He called the tourist hotline, but they said that there weren’t any branches in the city.

I think this guy said they closed them down. They do, however, have Taco Time in Japan, which is a Eugene, Oregon-born and bred Taco Bell-type chain, which isn’t half bad.

There used to be a local taco shop by my house which they advertised, ““Burritos (not taco, sorrie) as Big as Your Head”” Hmm…well, my head is pretty good so not, it wasn’t as big as my head!! And when they told me that, they gave me a burritos, FREE OF CHARGE!!! :wink:

My friends and I have discussed the opening of a foccacia and panini shop geared toward the local palate.

Forget the rosemary, prosciutto, and provolone and bring on the:
Corn, sweet mayonnaise and tuna
Shredded pork
Chicken curry
Red bean paste or a combination of those.

Surprisingly though Subway has kept to its own. Must be the franchise thing.

I remember that Burger King was offering Tacos for 30+ NT about 8 months ago although I never got around to trying one. Dont know if it was a temporary promo or they still have it. Anybody every tried one there?

Ding Guo Guo (the Taiwanese fried chicken franchise; logo is in yellow and red and has a guy flexing his muscle) had some kind of “Mexican” special for a while, too.

They are OK. They use a slice of burger cheese rather than shredded cheese.

The other option is to make your own. Florida bakery has excellent tortilla shells - plain, roasted red pepper, cheese, spinach, etc. They also sell salsa, refried beans, shredded cheese, etc. That’s enough for some kind of burrito. You could also expand the menu by buying some steak or chicken at the supermarket and making some fajitas.

By the way, has anyone tried the Mexican food at Jake’s Country Kitchen? Recommend it?

Is this the place with the sweet-potato fries? MmmmMMMmmMmmmm. Can’t wait to have them again!

Sweet potato fries, sticky rice in chicken skin, etc. The chicken here is much juicier than the stuff at KFC. This is a once a month meal for me since it’s got enough grease to keep A-bian’s hair in place for a good month.

Where is Florida Bakery? I’d love to make some tacos and/or burritos. Do they happen to have pita bread too?

Does Tequilla Sunrise have good burritos / tacos??

Yes, they have pita bread, but I’ve never tried it. There’s an outlet at #23 Chung Shan North Road, Section 3 (a few minutes walk north of Minchuan West Road).

There’s also one on the south side of Renai Rd. just west of the Renai traffic circle before you reach the hospital.

Or for loads of ingredients for mexican food try the Mami store (search ofr address - it’s here somewhere) in Shida. I bought stuff there and had three different kinds of mexican food in one week, and it was the best I’ve ever had in Taiwan.

Brian

Yes it is, those sweet potato fries are good.

It’s Ding Gua Gua (頂呱呱 = “Top notch”) by the way.

I buy flour tortillas and cheese at Costco…dried beans and spices in Tien Mu. Make a big pot of refried beans and freeze half for later. Make my own salsa…but I still go to La Casita. :laughing:

For when you’re stunk the entire family out of the apartment, @Comrade_Stalin? I bet your wife loves to see you with that big pot of bubbling beans.

She loves refried beans, thank you very much. BTW, our first date (and the first time she ever had Mexican food) was at La Casita.