Taicang

I’m out here in Taicang (literally, “great warehouse”–it was a big grain storage area for the Eastern Wu kingdom a few thousand years ago and then a major port about 600 years ago). It’s just north of Shanghai in Jiangsu Province. For those who are interested, I’m here facilitating a management communication program for a bunch of junior managers at a multinational. I’ll be here all week.

I’m in a nice hotel, and I had a walk around the area after I checked in. It’s a rather quaint city, much slower paced that bustling, nervous Shanghai. Nobody tried to kill me when I crossed the road :bravo: . I saw industrial parks on my way in, and some of my clients have factories here.

Has anyone else been here before? Any decent restaurants you’d recommend? I’m on a generous per diem, so quality is more important than cost.

I found a dim sum place close by that I’ll try one night, and a coffee place that probably serves some decent food. Everything else was crowded hotpot joints. I generally travel alone and am always on the lookout for places with good food that are relatively quiet. Don’t imagine I’ll find much in the way of exotic foreign cuisine, but I’ll try.

Not much of a point to this post. Just wanted to see if anyone else has been here.

I’m a bit lonely out here in the boonies near Shanghai so I’ll update for anyone interested.

After four days, I’ve decided I like Taicang. It’s a bit sleepy, but nice. I never found any exotic foreign cuisine, but I’ve found some decent restaurants and I’ve enjoyed my nightly walks on the tree-lined streets here. Apparently, there are a ton of Germans in Taicang, though I haven’t seen any barbarian Germanic types gathering in the streets :slight_smile: .

Okay, back to work.

I bet 99pct of Taiwanese have never even heard of Taicang? :smiley:

There are quite a few multinationals here. It’s a growing industrial area. It isn’t Kunshan or Suzhou for sure, but the Taishang who travel to the PRC like me know about it. It’s just a bit north of Shanghai.

Shang where? (just kidding)