Taichung air pollution. The residents poll

I can see a Taiwanese politician saying that.

2 Likes

Edit: @Gain may have a different view, believing those concentrations of carcinogenic pollutants are on the decline

It’s looking bad outside right now . AQI 139 at Zhongmin :tired_face:

Taichung pollution deniers BTFO yet again.

I thought that was @Gain, not @icon, who is a strong believer of the End of the World happening tomorrow… every day :smiley:

correct

Ive been going through there lots this year for work and am beyond shocked how bad it is there. Far worse looking than even kaohsiung and pingtung now! Simply amazed how bad it is!!

It’s not.

In what why? I havent measured it but on a visual scale its way worse than the south. Especially just south of taichung.

2 Likes

This poll should be changed from Taichung to Taiwan. Pretty much the whole island is getting hit by air pollution especially recently. I grew up with asthma and it went away completely (as in didn’t need my inhaler) for years. Moved to Taiwan and after a few years, I live off an inhaler.

1 Like

It depends on which side. The east enjoys good air 99% of the time. The west coast is pretty bad. Taichung is…well, let’s not talk about Taichung’s air quality.

That’s true, good point. Well I guess what I was trying to say is it’s terrible for most of the island and not just Taichung. Here in Hsinchu, we’re labeled orange; unhealthy for sensitive groups by Taiwan’s EPA. Actually the one’s who got it the worst are down south.

Hsinchu is where the dodginess usually starts, then South of there it just gets worse and worse.
South of Kaohsiung (which is bad) is very random, some days can be very good, some very bad depending on wind direction.
Taipei is in a similar spot, it’s surrounded by mountains/hills so if the wind comes straight from Shanghai then Taipei is doomed, otherwise it’s not bad.

In Yilan we often have a bad week or two a year, which is during Winter when a cold front comes from China, makes it way between Taiwan and Okinawa and it’s pushed in our direction by the wind coming from Japan. It’s dreadful, but luckily it doesn’t last long.

1 Like

That’s great except everybody pretty much lives on the West side. Also Ilan is cleaner but it still gets hit by air pollution fairly regularly, just lower scale.

Taipei air is bad for much of the year.
As somebody who flies into Taipei regularly I can see it clearly from above.

The reason why you guys keep saying “it’s getting worse” is because you only notice it on the bad days.

Taipei’s PM2.5 concentration is amongst the lowest in Asia. You are totally biased.

1 Like

Keep waffling Gain.

Can’t you read?

@Brianjones comprehension of reality on the ground , would seem superior to the “Statistics” you continually portray to be reality. The AQI readings are averaged out and, certainly , for Taichung seem to be a farce. Irritating to have you denying what I see out of my window frequently .
Seems ludicrous to pontificate from so far away . I guess you will continue to do it , rather like Beijing …you probably quoted their “Statistics” , until proven false.
You stated that Taichung had a handful of bad days now. That is simply false.
The thread is “Residents Poll”. People who live here NOW. You are are relying on Government statistics, and totally ignoring what we see and smell.
Perhaps the smog is caused by other pollutants, who knows? It is certainly present frequently. Maybe AQI is not the only indicator ? On the other hand , if you are being paid by the Taiwan Government, I do apolologize…good job, carry on

1 Like

You foreigners just don’t understand Taiwanese weather. :grin:

4 Likes