Taichung cab drivers attitude

Well… the article explains a few.

The only other low rating I got was definitely more my fault. We put 4 people in the back seat.

We were bar hopping.

Now I know to martyr other people’s accounts.

2 Likes

My Uber rating is 4.86, which is surprising because I would consider myself a bad passenger since I often have my daughter with me and she cries and occasionally kicks a bit

1 Like

I agree. He knew where we were going. But he didn’t like the narrow mountainous roads he chose to take because he didn’t know that part of Danshui and blindly followed his GPS. Really, it could be for any reason. Again, it’s anonymous, but the nature of my rides mean that I know who it is without knowing.

:idunno:

I’ve taken a cabs a few times in Taichung (臺中), and all of them have been pleasant experiences. It’s been a while ago so I forget the first few times. However, the last time, about 2 weeks ago, the cab driver was ancient (well, had to be at least 70 years old).

I actually asked him to drive me to a university campus in different city, so I wasn’t sure he would be familiar with that area. Even though it was only about 20 or 30 minutes away, he knew exactly how to get there (I followed his route on Google maps, don’t we all?). Although he mostly spoke Taiwanese he did understand Mandarin fairly well. We had a nice conversation periodically throughout the ride, and the fare was less than what I had expected. I had asked at the HSR station what a typical fare would be and one of the staff pulled out her cell phone to use an app to estimate the price. I was surprised to, as I mentioned, have a lower fare than average. As usual I tip the driver.

On that trip, on the way back, I learned of a new trick for calling cabs. Where I live, it’s very difficult to find a cab. You could never find one by standing on the street and expecting one to pass by. It’s though this experience that I found out you could go to a local 7-eleven, use that portal they have, and order a cab. The cab will show up at the specific 7-Eleven where you make the call, and the receipt will show you the cab’s plate number and expected minutes until they arrive.

This is really a fantastic application and I had no idea existed but will now use as much as possible where there is little cab service. Of course, as with others, I will use Uber in other circumstances. By the way, my rating is 5, but I’ve only ever taken two rides in my life, so that doesn’t mean too much.

2 Likes

One day you’ll find someone that just doesn’t like you and that 5 will disappear. It happens to all of us.

Or you tried stuffing four people into the back seat.

Haha, yeah. I have no doubt of that. An Uber 5 represents how seldom I use the service.

That’s why I suggested the 7-11 cab call service at the end of my rambling post.

Also, my reply was more relevant to the decent cab service I’ve had in Taichung. I remember another one that was only a month ago (too busy and nearly forgot). The destination was really close, but the driver (HSR taxi) was still very polite and helped me with my bags. Just trying to address the OP’s issue with cab drivers in that area.

Tainan was also pretty bad

I also often use the 7-11 ibon machine to call taxi’s when going out for some drinks. Other convenience stores with similar kiosk machines should be able to do it too, but I’ve just always done it at 7-11 since most places I’ve been have a 7-11 pretty close and it’s easy to remember how to do. Other than that I typically use 55688 Taxi app (terrible name as per usual) or Line Taxi. More Line Taxi these days though as the 55688 taxi app had stopped working for me (haven’t checked recently though).

I seldom get a taxi any other way except for places like train stations where they are lined up. All my experiences have generally been good, except for years ago when more taxis had the smell of smoke and seat belt buckles that didn’t work, but these days it seems a lot better…but then again maybe it’s because I’m using dedicated apps or taxi hailing services.

go to a local 7-eleven, use that portal they have
Sorry, how does this service work?

you go to the Ibon, choose “daily operations” → then choose “Call taxi” and the system will call a cab to the store.
its in Chinese though, so you might need to ask the clerck for help.

This has convinced me to stick with taxis. prices are roughly the same now. no interest in a popularity contest when needing a ride. jesus.

taxi: wave, sit, pay, over.

reviews, apps, attitudes, fuck that shit, just need A to B service.

To OP, taxi companies and drivers in Taiwan have some history. it goes up to murders and violence right down to pretty retarded shit. but honestly, if you just sit and shut up, pay when done…usually fine. No matter, you decide whether the distance justifies the price, if not then dont get in. This isnt like thailand. that said, it is well known Taipei is the most organized place in Taiwan with the most laws enforced. Taichung seems pretty good now too, but it still has dumb shit, especially with the night life scenes. That said I have never had any issues, that couldn’t be solved with a smile and rational conversation :slight_smile:

the app review thing is beyond my rational patience though haha.

1 Like

Yea. But at the same time, uber cars are always so nice and comfortable compared to taxis and I dont have to fumble with cash and look for change either.

1 Like

But did you win this test of wills?

By the way, couldn’t you call Uber and make a formal complaint? Or did you try and they just didn’t care?

that’s true. some taxis are pretty rank. If I remember correctly, doesnt uber have a rule for its drivers that cars have to be a certain year or newer? 10 years?

I don’t know off the top of my head, but young guy in a new car not chewing Betel Nut is pretty compelling in my books.

These incidents happened when Ubers were cars from rental companies.

Now they’re licenced taxis with the taxi licence and red licence plate and take a shot every time I say licence.

What do you mean by they take a shot? :thinking:

I did!

However, the girl was not pleased and thought i was taking her for a ride.

Pun intended.

1 Like

[You] take a shot every time I say licence :rofl:

1 Like

I support your preference for uber now that you explained everything.

Cheers