Taichung or Yilan?

The big move from Cali to TW is coming up in 6 weeks and it looks like we have narrowed it down to either Taichung or Yilan (keep swinging back and forth) so I thought I would post the question as to which would be the better place to live based on the following criteria and information about us:

1. Climate

2. Cost of living (married couple with a 60 lb dog, want a 2 bedroom at least. I need a “guy’s room” more for my wife’s sanity than my own. A 3bdr would be great, but 2 will work just fine. Will be living off of what savings we have left, my financial aid disbursements, my wife’s ESL salary, once she finds a job, and any teaching English to adults I can find)

3. Coffee Shops with Wifi (I will be doing research and writing A LOT, so need those kinda places so I do not become a grad student hermit)

4. Night markets (which has the better/bigger?)

5. General stuff to do. (not into bars too much, though I am not a drinker and last time I was in TW I drank every chance I could, but shows, movies, shops, you know, cool stuff, maybe a GameStop (lol)

6. Shopping

7. Culture

Thank you SO much in advance!

[quote=“Confuzius”]The big move from Cali to TW is coming up in 6 weeks and it looks like we have narrowed it down to either Taichung or Yilan (keep swinging back and forth) so I thought I would post the question as to which would be the better place to live based on the following criteria and information about us:

1. Climate
    [/quote]

Yilan rains A LOT. Taichung probably has the island’s best weather. Taichung.

Yilan will be cheaper but Taichung is very reasonable. Yilan.

[quote]
3. Coffee Shops with Wifi (I will be doing research and writing A LOT, so need those kinda places so I do not become a grad student hermit)[/quote]

Taichung has many hip cafes. Yilan has a a fair number but less cool. Wifi is really common. Taichung

Taichung has the huge and vibrant Fengchia nightmarket, which is the biggest and best I’ve seen. But Yilan’s Luodong has a good one too. I think you will lose interest in these after a few months, so this should not factor. Taichung

Definitely Taichung. There’s very little to do in Yilan while Taichung has great night life, good museums, great cafes, plenty of festivals, and a lot more funding for artsy type stuff than rural Yilan.

Def. Taichung.

Not sure exactky what you mean, but probably Taichung with its many temples, proximity to historic Lugang, etc. But Yilan has a unique laid-back style of its own and a heavy aboriginal presence.

One thing you are not considering is location. Yilan has great access to the wonders of the east coast plus Taipingshan, Xueshan, and Suao are your backyard. If you are into the outdoors, Yilan is better though the weather will be a problem.

I would never live in Yilan because it rains so much.

I never lived in Yilan but I did stay a little in Taichung. Feiren sums it up best, I’d say just go with Taichung. You won’t be dissapointed.

Taichung or Yilan? Taichung, hands down, but it’s Hobson’s choice.

Now, if you’d asked Taidong or Tainan, we’d be much harder pressed to find a winner: both are great small cities.

Taipei would be great apart from the winter. and the summer.

Yilan is a small ass town, not sure if you are aware of what that means in Taiwan. If beach and nature are your priority go East Coast (Yilan), otherwise, live in Taipei.

Yeah yeah yeah, save the typing those of you stumping other cities, unless there is a specific uniqueness that draws you there you’re just a crappier versions of Taipei.

YiLan has silly winter weather and to be honest, aside from the surrounding scenery, is pretty gray, flat, dull and boring - it is just rice fields and rain.
Not wishing to contradict Feiren, but TaiChung also has good access to the mountainous regions - the central mountain range is within very easy reach.

I don’t think there are many shows or art festivals in Taichung but there are good museums and coffee shops and okay shopping areas, ilan is just a big town in comparison. Taipei has most of what you are looking for, you can live in the suburbs if you like. Taichung has excellent weather but if you want to see much scenic areas you will need a car I believe. There are plenty of wild spots within 1 to 2 hour drive, but if you like the beach north coast will be your best bet.

Taichung! the weather is the best in Taiwan! Reasonable rents (you can find what you are looking for in my neighborhood for under NT10,000), good access to the mountains and coastal areas, and some interesting cultural aspects are also good points about Taichung.

And we LOVE animal people!!! check out our website: taichungpaws.org. (although there is also a group called AIR: Animals Ilan Rescue that could certainly use some help)

Welcome to Taiwan!

Thanks for all of the feedback-

TAICHUNG IT IS!
:discodance: :roflmao: :discodance: