Tail-docking and ear cropping cruel, unnecessary

From a US newspaper.
I have never allowed this done to any of my dogs and have actively discouraged it with a number of friends who were thinking of it.
I see the results of “home done” jobs on the streets here almost everyday.
These “designer pets” piss me off…/rant off.

[quote]Tail-docking and ear cropping cruel, unnecessary
By Diana Jarvis, Paws for Pets

The puppy was brought to the veterinarian with his tail mangled. Infection had set in, and the smell was awful. Someone had put a rubber band around his tail to dock it so he would “look right.” Surgery was necessary to amputate the remaining portion of the tail. Vets also see dogs with ears mutilated by home-cropping with scissors. Infection is common, and recovery can be painful.

Ear cropping and tail docking are contentious issues in the dog world. A poll of the California Veterinary Medical Association members showed only 10 percent supported dog ear cropping for cosmetic reasons. Tail docking is outlawed in 13 European countries, as is ear cropping.

The American Veterinary Medical Association stance is that performing these procedures “for cosmetic reasons are not medically indicated nor of benefit to the patient. They cause pain and distress, and, as with all surgical procedures, are accompanied by inherent risks of anesthesia, blood loss, and infection.” They urge veterinarians to counsel dog guardians about these matters before agreeing to perform surgery.

Interestingly enough, the American Animal Hospital Association (with an international membership of over 29,000 vets) revised its position and now opposes ear cropping and tail docking for cosmetic reasons alone. They are also encouraging elimination of these practices from breed standards.more at link
azdailysun.com/articles/2006/07/ … ets_25.prt[/quote]

I just can’t understand why anyone would want to do it :loco:

All now illegal in the UK, unless for medical reasons, and about time, too.

Slowly but surely things are changing.

Thanks for the post TC, makes my day.