Tailor-made suit / Tailor / Tailored suits, Taipei

Ground floor of Grand Hyatt. Hanson. Prices range from reasonable to insane. Shirts are 2,000NTD a pop a relatively indestructable

First, I would get out of downtown. Try the smaller alleys in the night market areas. I get mine done in Banciao in the Nanya night market area. EXCELLENT work and my custom shirts are made of top grade cotton (or blend) at 1400. Maybe cheaper for ā€œregular peopleā€ sizes. My suits are 14,000 but, again, these are super sized. If you get multiples done, the price per unit will come down as he can cut the same size from multiple pieces. Good selection of material, colors and styles. Iā€™ve never been disappointed. Itā€™s an easy walk from Banciao rail station (2d station south of Taipei Main Station) By the way, the stuff I had made in Thailand is crap. I wonā€™t do it again. If your interested, let me know and Iā€™ll post directions or just PM me. My wife has his phone number somewhere. He doesnā€™t speak English but understands what I want with simple body language.

Has anyone had suits, jackets, slacks, etc. custom made in Taipei? I will be working in TP in January and Iā€™m wondering if I should have things made while I am there or spend 5 days in HK and get them done. I hate to spend the money and time to go to HK if I can get the same stuff in TP.

So can anyone recommend a tailor for menā€™s clothing? I saw a bunch of tailor shops near a bar district last year but cannot remember exactly where they were. Hey, it was near a bar district and I had a cute date:-)
What about finding one who speaks English? And are they accustomed to working with Western bodies? I have very broad shoulders and long arms and it took me days to find a red shirt to wear for Chinese New Year.

Iā€™m assuming I should bring along a Taiwanese person so that I do not get ripped off on the price. Correct? Also, can I or should I bargain on the price? Does anyone have any idea of the cost of custom dress clothes?

Thanks for your help.

DirtGuy

Hansen Tailor across the way from the Hyatt. Price depends upon the materials selected. He has some nice topical and medium weight wools.

His shirts stand up to the local laundry just as well as my Paul Stuart and BBrothers shirts (well almost).

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ā€¦ r&&start=0

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ā€¦ lor#366735

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ā€¦ lor#349166

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with getting a suit made in Taipei?

By suit I mean jacket, pants, and a good shirt to go with it, all measured up and tailor made from scratch (not modifying a standard model to size). What would something like that cost, as an indication? Any recommendations?

Thanks,

I had my wedding suit and 3 shirts made for 11,000 (I think). Iā€™m very happy with the quality. Sorry donā€™t have the address in English but if you exit Houhanpi MRT (far end of Blue line) and turn left itā€™s in that street. Itā€™s Called Carmel and their website is www.carmel.com.tw

Where is a good tailor???!!! Help please!!!

I am average size man.

I have tried 5 tailors and am not happy with any of them. They can not seem to get the shirt right even if I go back repeatedly to have the test shirt altered. The final shirts alway come back with multiple combinations of sleeves to short, or waist to big, or arms too tight, or sleeves too big, or collar too far apart at button, or the stitching is loose, or buttons fall off when I get homeā€¦ And then when I ask them to correct the problem, the altered shirt comes back in worse shape with mulitiple seams, bad stitching, etc.

I get the impression that the measurements are only for general reference, and that they all send the measurements to the same manufacturing shop who has some type of standard sizes to build too. Could I be too far off?

I end up wearing old shirts made in Thailand or Singapore that fit the first time and havenā€™t fell apart in years.

These are tailors that I have tried but can not seem to provide a decent shirt or pants.

• Howard Plaza Hotel: Both tailors in basement. Handyman and another one.
  • Hansen Tailor on Keelung near Hyatt Hotel.
  • EZ tailor near corner of Guangfu and Civic.
  • Apollo behind Howard Plaza Hotel.

See also forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ā€¦ 73&start=0

I want a nice tailored modern suit and shoes, any recommendations? Nothing in HK please, letā€™s stick to Taiwan.

There are good tailors all over Taiwan, even in the ā€œcountrysideā€. I had my suit made when I got married. A lovely job done for just NT$8000.

EZ Collection. GuangFu South Rd #80. A couple of my friends had suits made there custom tailored, cheap, and decent quality.

I get my kecks and shirts made by the tailors at the Ceasar Park hotel in Taipei. Not sure what a suit would cost but their phone number is 02 23898383. Both guys are called Peter.

The street that runs parallel to NCCUā€™s main gate. Keep going on it and turn left at the first intersection after the river. This is the road that goes to Hsientien and Carrefour. There is a mom and pop shop on the right side about a five minute walk after the intersection. I had three tailor made suits made there a year ago and will be going back. Really well done.

Have used 5 tailors here including the EZ on Guangfu, the two in the Howard Hotel, the one over by the Hyattā€¦ all continuously had something wrong. Sleeves too short, waist too big, buttons falling off within weeks, seams coming apart after a few washings.

Really not happy with tailors in Taiwan considering the suits and shirts I have from both Singapore and Thailand just keep going and going.

[quote=ā€œtango42ā€]Have used 5 tailors here including the EZ on Guangfu, the two in the Howard Hotel, the one over by the Hyattā€¦ all continuously had something wrong. Sleeves too short, waist too big, buttons falling off within weeks, seams coming apart after a few washings.

Really not happy with tailors in Taiwan considering the suits and shirts I have from both Singapore and Thailand just keep going and going.[/quote]

Iā€™ve had suits tailor made in HK and Thailand and the one I had made in Mucha is one of the best ones Iā€™ve had made. Iā€™ve worn them at least three times a week (had three made) for the last two years for work. No alterations and they still look new.

You WASH your suits? :loco:
I have more than a dozen suits, made here, in Thailand, Korea and Hong Kong. Some are nearly 20 years old and still looking good. And Iā€™m picky. All cost less than NT$15,000, and ALL look better than the NT$40,000, NT$50,000 and NT$70,000 suits Iā€™ve had made in the UK, France and Italy.
OK, no they donā€™t. But stillā€¦

I know that place. I used to live around the corner and take alterations and such there.

I just need some tailored shirts made!
Where is the most affordable place to go?
Thanks!

[quote=ā€œlukedukeā€]I just need some tailored shirts made!
Where is the most affordable place to go?
Thanks![/quote]
Ahem!

shirts are around 800 -1200