🏛 Tainan | Things to do in Tainan with Children?

Hi, I’m doing a day trip to Tainan with two 14yo boys in tow. I want to see (and expose them to) some Taiwan history, and the Zeelandia Fort and the National Museum of Taiwan History sounds good.

But… teenage boys… is there something exiting and/or energetic that they can do as well?

We will be using public transportation.

Thanks

You can visit the 奇美博物館 Chimei Museum

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, but I’m looking for something for them to do, not to see.

1 Like

Energetic? Like running? or like jumping a lot? Going to the gas station?

十鼓 (Ten Drum Cultural Village) is right next door to Chimei.

1 Like

What is “ten drum cultural village”? I saw something on Tripadvisor but it didnt say what it is.

Like, laser tag?

1 Like

Like fireworks?

Visit A-bian’s village of Guantian District? Oh wait, you said energetic. :laughing:

They don’t seem to have an English website, which is a shame.

I think 14-year olds will like the zip-lining and free-falling, and maybe a drum class.

2 Likes

I have an uncle who lives is guantian district, and I lived there myself for a few weeks in my beginnings of being in taiwan. That place is very boring, a whole lot of nothing.

Thanks, that looks really cool! Definitely worth exploring!

SUP is like really popular in Taiwan. So you can do that in Tainan as well. But it can get bloody hot during the day this time of the year.

https://www.klook.com/en-US/activity/74242-sup-tainan-sperience-water-activities/?spm=SearchResult.SearchResult_LIST&clickId=f68c9617cb

1 Like

Did that off a yacht in Kenting last year. Pro tip: don’t have your back to the boat. Didn’t realize how far I’d gone - I was too impressed with the fact I was standing on the board in the waves. Damn near got taken out to sea. Needed the jet ski to bring me in. Fortunately everyone on the boat was watching me and laughing.

Ten drum is good, can get very busy on weekends. Best to go as early as possible. The weekdays will be better BUT not all the activities will be operating. Swings and roundabouts. The whole place is quite unique, a repurposed old sugar factory. It wouldn’t pass any health abd safety tests in the West or get insurance cover but in the end you judge yourself and this is why its interesting too. It is professionally managed don’t get me wrong but imagine something out of a hollywood action movie set but it’s real lol.
The drum show is cool, make sure to see that too.

1 Like

Thanks guys, Ten drums it is!

It’s a former sugar factory, which was brought back to life by a traditional drum troop. They turned it into a performance hall, a outdoor gym where you can zipline, ride on giant indoor slides, ride one a giant swing on the edge of the roof, rappel down a giant sugar storage building, and other things.

I think it’s probably best for children around 10.

Actually @hannes beat me to it.

1 Like

Yeah, but probably also pretty good for 14yos who are by now sick of wandering round looking at museums…

You can also take a long boat trip around Taijiang lagoon.

There is a short trip that only takes you along a short but beautiful channel lined by mangrove trees.

That one is extremely short. Probably no more than 30 minutes around trip.

There’s a much longer boat ride that actually goes into the lagoon. It’s probably around 75 minutes. You can get a good history and ecology lessons on the long boat ride, but you’d get a more wide open view that might not be as impressive as the short ride. The SUP activities mentioned above is probably also around the same area.

3 Likes

Vast majority doing the activities are young adults actually. This is Taiwan of course. I did a few of them was quite fun and I’m not particularly young. The main issue was the crowds and the queuing so go there early on weekends.

2 Likes