Taipei 101 Viewing Deck / Observatory Info

Does anybody know how to / where to go to go up to the viewing deck at TPE 101? I have visited their “English” website and it’s lousy.

Also, opinions of those who have been up? I believe it’s about NT$350, which does seem a bit pricy (eg Petronas Towers are FREE, KL’s Sky Tower is only about NT$200 etc. Is it worth it? Is there outdoor viewing, or only indoor?

I’m thinking of checking it out as a mini-reward for finishing my first exam on Monday.

indoor @350

outdoor@ extra 100-150 i think

on a good day it is brilliant

Some info here:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … &&start=15

You take the lift from the 5th (or 6th?) floor sort of above PageOne bookstore.

As AWOL said: On a good day it’s brilliant. Unfortunately, on a bad day you’ll struggle to see anything of interest …

Thanks, folks. I did do a search but only came up with a much older thread.

I’ll have to check the weather forecast then. Do you reckon the extra NT$100 to get outside is worth it on top of the 350?

[quote=“DSN”]Thanks, folks. I did do a search but only came up with a much older thread.

I’ll have to check the weather forecast then. Do you reckon the extra NT$100 to get outside is worth it on top of the 350?[/quote]

Nope, unless you wanna feel like a monkey in da Zoo due too the cage wire build around… Only 2 floors higher anyway (91st floor)
Not worth the price of a nice lunchbox :slight_smile:

Pricy, indeed. To save money, go for the observation deck of Shinkong Mitsukoshi building across Taipei main station. You pay less than half the price of 101 for an equally good, if not better view (its westside location affords the river view). IMO, the view is pretty much the same after you get past a certain elevation. But 101 does offer an audio tour, an outdoor viewing area, that counterweight damper sphere in the center of the building (if you’re into that kind of thing), and of course, the bragging right of being on the top of the tallest building in the world.

Beg to differ there. From ShinKong you’ll get a better view of stuff like CKS memorial hall, presidential palace, etc. but I do think you get a different view from twice (or more?) the height. In particular, you’re actually looking over the hills to the south of Taipei - so you get an interesting perspective of how places like Mucha & Xindian fit into the foothills.

Also if it is clear (when i went up it wasn’t :frowning: ) I’m guessing you’d be able to see the mountains waaay south of Taipei (A few years ago I climbed up DaBa mountain, and you could just make out ShinKong tower, and so 101 would be that much easier to see).

The taped commentary was actually not bad up 101 too (I don’t think ShinKong has the equivalent)

That said, if it’s a so-so visibility day, then you’re probably better off up ShinKong.

Well worth going, but only if the weather is REAL good. Monday’s is AFAIK closed.

Petronas may be free, but you have to queue up for the tickets at 8:30 in the morning and they are limited, given out on a first come first serve basis for the day. As well you “only” can go up to the Skybridge which is on the 45th floor as I believe.
A visit to Menara Telekom (the TV tower in the middle of the city) is IMHO much better as you can look all around, and not too expensive.

When I went a few weeks ago (remember those 3 days with ‘strange’ BLUE skies all over Taipei?) I could see the sea in the North, West and East! I even saw a big lake in the South, and wondering if it WAS sun Moon Lake (but that one is +100 km away no?
I found it a good investment. Unluckily, there was not a magnitude 6 quake to see the counterweight moving :fume:

I was up there a couple days ago, showing my parents around. Id say if you’ve never been up its worth it once, and it is another NT100 to climb up to the 91st floor. As its been said look for a nice day the clearer the more it will be worth the money. Its worth it at least once.

As an alternative, try the Star Tower in Beitou. Once there, you have two choices:

1. Go up to the indoor observation deck (116 meters) for $40 NT (free if you live in Beitou or Shilin districts)

2. Go up a bit higher (120 meters) and have lunch, tea time snacks, or dinner in a revolving restaurant. Food can be a bit pricey, but tea time is reasonable at about $220 per person.

In either of the above, the views are very nice on any day or night, clear day is better. On a rainy day, almost no one is there. Terrific.

This is the place that is a garbage incinerator and a restaurant. Stupid combination, right? I thought so, too. But, despite the fact that the place handles about 1/3 of all solid burnable waste of Taipei City, there is no smell and the facility and restaurant are quite nice. Make sure to stop and look at the decorative, tiled water fountain on the right near the street entrance.

Not certain of operating hours, but it seems they open about 9am and close very late, near midnight, 7 days a week.

The street listed in the address in the link below is also spelled Zhoumei St.

amcham.com.tw/publication_to … ics_id=526

Closest MRT station is Qilian (red line - two stations south of Beitou station). Leave the MRT station by the only exit and do a U-turn. Walk west following the MRT track about about 1/2 or 1 block to Gongguan Rd. Turn left (south). Walk on Gongguan Rd. a few blocks to an intersection with Cheng De Rd. (very large road). Cross Cheng De Rd. and continue straight ahead on Gongguan Rd. From this point, if walking, it will take you approximately 10 minutes to reach the Star Tower on your left. It is impossible to miss the very tall multicolored tower with the restaurant on top.

home.trtc.com.tw/EINFO/bigmap.asp?number=go24

[quote=“ceevee369”]When I went a few weeks ago (remember those 3 days with ‘strange’ BLUE skies all over Taipei?) I could see the sea in the North, West and East! I even saw a big lake in the South, and wondering if it WAS sun Moon Lake (but that one is +100 km away no?
I found it a good investment. Unluckily, there was not a magnitude 6 quake to see the counterweight moving :fume:[/quote]

That lake is the Feicui Dam, our source of drinking water. Hope you didn’t spit in that direction.

It’s not that unusual to be able to see right across Taipei to the mountains and the sea. I hike up in the hills of Muzha all the time and can see the Danshui flow into the ocean from up there.

On a clear day we can see the 101 from our ridgetop in Yangmei, so I’d imagine the view from the top must be pretty spectacular. Line of sight must be 50km or better from here.

I could have sworn the outdoor observation deck is an extra $200. I didn’t go there anyway.

Though the main deck is a steep $350, it’s worth it if you can choose a cloudless, haze-free day to go up. Go up around an hour before sunset and hang around there for about 2 hours. That way you can see Taipei both in daylight and at night - totally different scenes. The late afternoon sun casts shadows that makes the city seem more 3-dimensional. The views of the mountains are spectacular. You can even see Keelung Island from there.

There’s also a free audio tour available.

[quote=“Rascal”]
Petronas may be free, but you have to queue up for the tickets at 8:30 in the morning and they are limited, given out on a first come first serve basis for the day. As well you “only” can go up to the Skybridge which is on the 45th floor as I believe.
A visit to Menara Telekom (the TV tower in the middle of the city) is IMHO much better as you can look all around, and not too expensive.[/quote]

Yes, I know. Did both last month. And the Menara Tower certainly gives the better views.

Thanks for the idea. It is a very nice view, but I’ve already been up there twice.

Thanks everyone for the opinions and insight. If it really is closed on a Monday, though, that ruins my plan, as I’ll only be in TPE on, drum-roll, a Monday. :frowning: Maybe after the NEXT exam (which is on a Thursday).

Did no one tried base jumping yet from the 101?

Euh, it just popped into my mind…
Guess you can’t get through security with a rugsack on ya back…

Is that the one near Wulai (more or less)? In that case it can’t be seen from the Taipei 101 as it’s blocked by the Erge Shan mountain ridge.
I checked my pictures from my 101 visit and can’t see any big lake in the south, as well I used a GIS tool to do a line-of-sight (LOS) analysis and it says there is no LOS to Feicui, even you would be sitting on the tip of the 101 @ 508m.
It couldn’t have been Shimen dam, the ocean or the Sun-Moon lake either since there isn’t any LOS, too. (Distance Taipei 101 to Sun-Moon lake is around 146km btw.)

What ceevee369 could have seen is either the Xindian river / Bintan river bend or maybe the small dam along the road going up to Wulai (the only places with a larger amount of water in South direction that are visible). Or perhaps it was the dam near the Shulin toll plaza, though that’s South-West direction.

Here is a composite showing a (nearly) 360-degree view from the 101 that I made: Taipei 360 deg (1.7MB)

South is on the left.

Well, I went up today, despite the drizzly weather. Oher than the occasional low-lying cloud drifting across, it was surprisingly clear and you could see pretty far.

It is very definitely open on Mondays. I didn’t fork out an extra NT$100 for the outside view, with the weather as it was.

Personally not so sure it was worth the price; I am inclined to agree with a previous poster who said that once you get to a certain height it’s much of a muchness (although this did allow views over the hills, as another poster mentioned). In addition, Taipei is not the prettiest or most interesting city to look down on, but that’s hardly 101’s fault, is it?

$350 NT is hardly ‘steep’ in the scale of things. It’s cheaper than the poxy Auckland Sky Tower, and I think it might have been cheaper than the WTC twin towers in NYC. When I went up those about 6 weeks before 9/11 I believe that was about $15USD or more.

I enjoyed 101. It made me reliase how big Taipei really is, and as there is no time limit up there it can be quite relaxing if you find some good spots.

The weather really is the key tho, I ended up going on my 4th or 5th attempt. A couple of times the clouds were hiding the top from the ground so I didn’t bother.

Oh, the technology in the elevator is pretty fascinating. They have a scale model of it up the top showing the pressurization system and aerodynamics etc which help it achieve the 37 sec ride to the top (worlds fastest)

Hey, we all forget the elevator experience!
Looking at those litle lights pretending it is the orbit while listening to new age music… :smiley: