Taipei 101 - World's Tallest

I think the use of the small windows in 101 gives it a very interesting tiled look, especially when viewed from a distance.

Taipei 101

Grande Arche, La Defense :wink:

I heard that due to cost cutting considerations most of the fire resistant padding has been replaced with ordinary cloth, and the steel frame is also being substituted with plastic molding . . . . . . .

[quote=“Maoman”]Hmmm. CNN says that the Shanghai World Financial Centre will be the tallest, with only 95 stories.

[/quote]

I was in right in the heart of Pudong just before Chinese New Year on the 83rd floor of the tallest building in Shanghai and they haven’t even started building this one yet. However, I think I saw it at the Shanghai 2010 exhibit at the Shanghai city planning museum. FWIW, Taipei 101 will be the tallest building in the world for a while at least.

[quote=“thyrdrail”]Vincey, I don’t know where you get your facts, but most of it is just plain erroneous! I’ve never, ever heard that the Petronas is sinking. If they were, I’d bet they’d be front page news all over. There was nothing wrong with TFC101 structurally. They stopped construction to make sure it was structurally sound, which it was (except for the cranes that fell), and they will continue adding to the height in September when they get new cranes. The fault line in Hsinyi b[/b] has been inactive for thousands of years. And did you know that the Tuntex building also has a hotel, which is located ABOVE the 20th floor? So to say the building is empty above the 20th floor is bull. So please check your facts before you share them with others, for surely many will too easily believe them.

BTW, I had already posted that skyscraper.com link up above. And they haven’t been doing a good job of updating their pics and info on skyscraper projects in Taiwan and around the world.[/quote]

Petronas Towers sinking is NOT a joke, it’s sinking very slowly though:

worldcityphotos.hpg.ig.com.b … /index.htm

East Tuntex Tower, I should say, is largely unoccupied, with the dept store closing, it’s just an approximation.

[quote=“monkey”][quote=“Rascal”]I have a friend working there and he says the 101 will withstand earthquakes up to a strength (is that the correct term?) of 10.
The construction is a steel frame bla bla blah.[/quote]

A 10 on the Richter scale is equivalent to the energy contained within about one trillion tons of TNT or the destructive yield of a 1,000 megaton nuclear weapon. I think you’re gonna have to see me after class… :unamused:[/quote]

Yes. Rock itself will not withstand a force of 10; that is why earthquakes above 8 are so rare. In any case, as another poster point out, if the slippage is both vertical and lateral, that building will fall. Note that it does not have to fall to be destroyed; the structural damage could be so extensive that even a standing building will become useless.

Vorkosigan

Sure, you won’t be able to be able to climb it, but hey, who wver climbed the twin towers anyway.

The French guy (Alan ???) nicknamed “Spiderman” did. Though the police stopped him from reaching the top just a few floors below the 88th floor.

As for what’s tallest: the tallest (man made) structure is some TV mast at 629m. Not free standing though! In that case the CN tower wins.
But since there is a difference between structures, towers and buildings you need to be carefull what you actually compare, i.e. the Petronas Twin Towers are considered the tallest building in the world (and the tallest Twin Towers if you like).

This one is interesting: xs4all.nl/~hnetten/tallest.html

So which floor are they working on now?

Category…Flr…Meters…Feet
Structure…81…352.8…1157.5
Fa

A decision has been reached. Here’s what we can expect to see in New York in a few years…

[quote=“Maoman”]
A decision has been reached. Here’s what we can expect to see in New York in a few years…[/quote]

Great, a bunch of what look like pre-bombed buildings. I suppose this is meant to fool the terrorists?

Terrorist #1: “Hey, those buildings looked bombed already!”
Terrorist #2 “That’s not right.” (checks list) “No, it definitely says Thursday. Damn.”
Terrorist #1: “Well, what do we do, bomb them again?”
Terrorist #2: “Nah, let’s go get ice cream.”

Taipei 101 is getting kinda scary if you ask me. They’re just starting on the last “segment”, and then on top of that they’re going to contrust an antenna about two segments high. At least no-one will be able to say they’re lost in Taipei anymore, 'cause you can see that sucker from any decent-sized street.

Oh, I’m sorry, is this Segue? I thought it was my blog.

Taipei 101 is getting kinda scary if you ask me.

Why is it scary? Not pretty but impressive if you ask me though certainly not scary …

Just scary in a “Damn, that’s tall” kind of way. The feeling is emphasized by the fact that everything around it is so short. I agree that it is impressive, though. We’ll see how it looks when it’s all done and properly lit.

Damn scary if you happen to be on one of the upper floors when there’s an earthquake :!:

Yeah, but I wonder if that structure is any more likely to fall down than the kind of poorly constructed 4-to-12 story concrete buildings most of us actually live in.

Damn scary is if you happen to live in the shadow of the 101 and - while your house still stands after an eartquake - it starts leaning towards you.
That’s damn scary! :wink:

Building it with 200 meters of a fault line is a bit scary too…
ok… it hasn’t been active for 200,000 years…

One thing about the new WTC plaza in NYC post 911, today they announced the winner of the competition among designs, and the winner is

DANIEL LIBESKIND

Born in Poland in 1946, the son of two Jewish Holocaust survivors
Came to the U.S. when he was 13; first sight of America was the Statue of Liberty
Became a U.S. citizen in 1965
Studied music before taking up architecture
Signature design is the Jewish Museum in Berlin.

I wonder if the Arabs and Muslin who hate America and did the 911 thing and are planning more attacks – and remember part of their hatred is directed toward Israel, and the US support of Israel, and therefore towards Jews – won’t a Libeskind-designed building become a natural target for terrrorists again in the future?

If word gets out on the Arab street that a Jew has been selected to design the new WTC plaza in NYC, won’t they just be all the more angry and attack again, someday in the future?

Just a paranoid thought, I know. But paranoi fuels this world now.

Word out on the Arab street is don’t mess with 4/31 Infantry or the 82d Airborne. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

drum.army.mil/divstaff/2nd_b … istory.htm
ausa.org/www/armymag.nsf/(all/7A3229CD5C3A4A7985256BC100701665?OpenDocument

bragg.army.mil/www-82DV/History.htm
army.mil/enduringfreedom/images35.html

“Fiddlers’ Green”

Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green

Are the Souls of all dead troopers camped,

Near a good old-time canteen.

And this eternal resting place

Is known as Fiddlers’ Green.

Marching past, straight through to Hell

The Infantry are seen.

Accompanied by the Engineers,

Artillery and Marines,

For none but the shades of Cavalrymen

Dismount at Fiddlers’ Green.

Though some go curving down the trail

To seek a warmer scene.

No trooper ever gets to Hell

Ere he’s emptied his canteen.

And so rides back to drink again

With friends at Fiddlers’ Green.

And so when man and horse go down

Beneath a saber keen,

Or in a roaring charge of fierce melee

You stop a bullet clean,

And the hostiles come to get your scalp,

Just empty your canteen,

And put your pistol to your head

And go to Fiddlers’ Green.

The current issue of Popular Science magazine has a centerfold detailing the technological innovations included in the construction of Taipei 101. Amazing! :shock:
Popular Science centerfold
Popular Science centerfold middle

[quote=“chung”]The current issue of Popular Science magazine has a centerfold detailing the technological innovations included in the construction of Taipei 101. Amazing! :shock:
Popular Science centerfold
Popular Science centerfold middle[/quote]

Figures…while Playboy has Asian women in its centerfold, Popular Science Asian skyscrapers in its.

But all facetious remarks aside, this looks pretty cool and a lot of thought seemed to have gone into this building. Maybe it will make it through the first week. I am not usually a pessimist, but I have a sinking suspicion about this building. The nice thing about being able to see it from just about any point in Taipei is that most people will see it go down from a safe distance. The thing is that most of the stuff they are correcting is because Taiwan is too stubborn to admit that maybe it’s not so wise to build the world’s tallest building in a place that is subjected to three building destroying disasters that can strike a city:
typhoons, earthquakes…

and China Airlines.

For some reason, I think this building is being built with steel and irony.