Taipei Area Beaches

I’ve been spending some time at Baishawan, and it’s ok. The only thing I don’t like is the visible nuclear power plant and the fact that the lifeguards get all worked up about where people are swimming…I mean, god forbid someone go into water above waist high :unamused:

I’m wondering if people have spent any time at the other nearby beaches. I remember reading on here before that Sha Lun is too polluted to swim in, but I recently heard they have cleaned it up-anyone been there this summer? Is it safe?

What about Qianshuiwan? Safe to swim in? I pass it on the way to Baishawan, but haven’t tried because don’t want to swim in polluted waters.

Is Sha Lun the one near Danhai, where the horse riding place is? If so, I was photographing there this afternoon and there were a bunch of people in the water. Not sure if that means it’s safe or not, but there were too many for it to be just random thrill seekers.

Fulong.

But at any beach, the lifeguards will get pissy if you go out above waist depth. They’re not worried that you’ll drown; they are probably certain you, as a foreigner, know what you’re doing. They’re worried that locals (who are notoriously poor swimmers) will see you out there, assume it’s safe for them because you’re out there experiencing no problems, swim out to where you are, and drown.

LOL…I went to that black sand beach in TouCheng a while back, and the sign said (in Chinese) you could only go in ‘up to the belly of your calf’. The waves were about two feet high and there was no undertoe.

pathetic, made me want to punch someone.

[quote=“suiyuan31”]I’ve been spending some time at Baishawan, and it’s ok. The only thing I don’t like is the [color=#FF0000]visible nuclear power plant[/color][/quote]What nuclear power plant? You must not be in Baishawan if you are seeing a nuclear power plant. I’ve lived here for 10 years and I’m unaware of where it might be. :roflmao:

I was told the two sphere-shaped buildings visible to the north of the beach are part of the nuclear power plant. If I was misinformed, that would make me feel better about swimming there. You can see them from the water…if not a nuclear power plant, what are they?

CFI: Yeah, the beach near Danhai is Shalun. Good to hear people are swimming there. No one would go there just 4 years ago.

Chris: I have only been to fulong once, but it was closed after that huge typhoon 1.5 years ago and I haven’t tried since. Seems like a better place for a one-night hotel excursion.

I was told the two sphere-shaped buildings visible to the north of the beach are part of the nuclear power plant. If I was misinformed, that would make me feel better about swimming there. You can see them from the water…if not a nuclear power plant, what are they?[/quote]Are you talking about the giant green “golf ball” looking things at the northern point of Fugee Harbor? If so, those would be standard radar monitoring stations.

Is what you’re looking at similar to this, except green?

That’s what I get for listening to the locals :blush:
I grew up near a nuclear power plant, so when someone told me that’s what those two bulbs were, I didn’t think to question it…from a distance they look eerily similar.
I should know better at this point :laughing:
But here is a picture of a nuclear power plant that looks very similar to the view of the radar towers:

I was told the two sphere-shaped buildings visible to the north of the beach are part of the nuclear power plant. If I was misinformed, that would make me feel better about swimming there. You can see them from the water…if not a nuclear power plant, what are they?[/quote]Are you talking about the giant green “golf ball” looking things at the northern point of Fugee Harbor? If so, those would be standard radar monitoring stations.

Is what you’re looking at similar to this, except green?

[/quote]

Yeah…you’re right…I forgot about those kind. Here are the nuclear power plants where I used to surf Trestles Beach at San Onofre, California.

You can see the 4th nuclear power plant way down the bay from Fulong beach.

Yeah, I faintly remember that, which is why i suppose it was easy to believe there was one near bai sha wan. Most people will tell you it’s safe, the water is just used to cool the reactors and it never comes in contact with nuclear material. That is all fine and dandy, but I still prefer to avoid being near it if I can…don’t need a third testicle growing out of my chin :laughing:

So no one knows anything about qian shui wan then?

You already have two testicles growing out of your chin? No wonder you don’t come to the happy hours! :ponder:

There is the Ist Nuclear Power Plant in that area just behind the dog temple. As the crow flies maybe 3-4km from the beach,though no you can’t see it. On the other side of Fugui Cape so presumably the water would not be mixing with that at Baishawan.

If you can translate and better still understand here’s the EPA’s reports on Qingshuiwan:
wqshow.epa.gov.tw/beach/Detail.a … hYear=2010

Okay, did a sloppy translation and it appears the water quality is good, has been good all summer. So, go for a swim.

You already have two testicles growing out of your chin? No wonder you don’t come to the happy hours! :ponder:[/quote]
:roflmao:

If I did I probably would go to happy hour, just probably not at the same places you hang out :whistle:

Awesome, thanks…I will have a look at the Chinese doc too :sunglasses:

[quote=“suiyuan31”]So no one knows anything about qian shui wan then?[/quote]Yeah, I know about it. I’ve surfed in that area a couple times. However, there is a reef/line of rocks which kills the surf most of the time and is very hazardous to your board if you hit it. Check it out thoroughly during low tide and you can see where the problem areas are. I only surf there once in a while when the tide is high and the surf is huge in order to make it over the reef/rocks. Most of the time not worth the effort or the grief.