Taipei bus systems and drivers

I don’t know if you guys take the bus often but I find the Taipei bus system excellent. I mean which city in the world has free wify in their bus ? Plus the new low floor bus are great and stroller friendly, the routes are extensive, frequencies nice, it is cheap, almost everything is in english…

… but seriously can’t they change their drivers ??? I don’t understand how it is even possible to drive like this with such brutals breakings and accelerations. It is not just one driver ! It is every bus I take.

Am I the only one to experience this ? It cames to my mind that it was not acceptable after a recent trip to Paris. Maybe the technology is different but the experience inside the bus in Paris was very smooth and one could stands with the feeling like being in the subway.

There’s free wifi on the buses?

I find that some drivers still brake and accelerate like assholes but it’s rarer these days. Used to be dangerous a decade ago.

Not saying it is ever justified but that that behavior seems on the way out. Report it when you experience it.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]

I find that some drivers still brake and accelerate like assholes but it’s rarer these days. Used to be dangerous a decade ago.

Not saying it is ever justified but that that behavior seems on the way out. Report it when you experience it.[/quote]
I remember getting off the bus whenever the driver swallowed his third Betel nut.
I hit the ceiling several times.

This has all changed in recent years. I never had a problem the past seven or eight years. However, the driving between 1997 and 2005/6 have desensitized me.

OP
I agree with you 100%· The bus coverage in taipei is great. the bus drivers however break and accelerate too fast . sometimes i feel nauseous. and it’s not just one driver.

Many of the buses have governors installed to keep them from going faster than 40 km/h. The effect is a constant lurching when drivers try to keep driving as fast as they can along the city streets.

Still, some drivers are pretty terrible when it comes to starts and stops. I saw an old lady fall down on the bus the other day because of it (thankfully she was OK). But the situation is far better now than it was 20 years ago. I still remember elderly people trying to get on and off while the drivers did rolling stops.