Taipei cabs to accept Easycard

Taipei Times article

Definitely a good thing as far as I’m concerned. So we’ll have taxis, MRT, busses and city government car parking all accepting Easycard for payment - makes things easier. Anyone have any suggestions of how to further expand the scheme?

i agree that is is a good thing, however considering how much of the economy is underground. I can’t see cabbies all that eager to install a device that will make them declare and pay taxes on more of their income.

I am just cynical or do others see this?

Convenience stores are the next target. Ultimately there will be a single card which can be used on the Kaohsiung MRT, Taipei MRT, Taiwan Railways, HSR and buses around the island plus numerous other places. The idea of a cashless society is probably not that far from realisation.

this is already happening in hong kong, saw it in full swing when i was there while ago.

Adding another layer of pointlessness to my daily life. Fabulous.

I already carry round a bunch of paper that is given to me in return for my tolerance and compassion over at the funhouse. That system works well for me. Now I can go underground and trade it with, presumably, a machine or an ugly person in a uniform so I can have another item to use instead the the blue papers? What’s my motivation here?

If the use of these cards expands enough, the allure of fraud becomes much greater. I wonder if there are sufficient safeguards in place to prevent some from gaining “free money.”

HK’s Octopus cards are used on all public transport, can be used to get stuff out of vending machines and in some 7-11s to buy stuff. Works fine, with no mention of fraud.

You can, although I haven’t, hook up your Octopuss card to a credit card and auto-replenish the value. The tight fisted types love this, so I;m told, because they can get Air Miles from it.

Face it, any increase in the means available to pay for something is all good.

HG

Next thing it will be a chip implanted in your skin that will be used to ride MRT and buy stuff… imagine that. 666 the number of the beast…

I watched CSI the other day where they said such a device was used for entry to bars and clubs and paying for drinks. A quick google seems to confirm that it actually does exist: Baja Beach Club in Barcelona, Spain Launches Microchip Implantation for VIP Members

Still some “problems” with the thingy though: VERICHIP RFID IMPLANT HACKED!

I like the idea of having one card for different types of services, seems very convenient to me.

I love this system. No messing about digging for change when I’m least able to think clearly or even focus my eyes, ie. early in the morning before I’ve had coffee. Or trying to stuff coins into machines when my hands are full of shopping, cell phones or computer bag. No more trying the pay the cab with a 1000NT bill when he doesn’t have change. Taipei is long overdue to implement this kind of system. They even use this in Shanghai FFS.
Sure some cabbies might think to jack you with a hacked machine. They used to try that with the meters, but now it’s pretty rare they can be bothered.

If it is a personal taxi(not kao4 hang2),we can use easycard,too.?

Just point me in the right direction, and I’ll line up immediately. There’s good reading on RFID here.

Given all the information the government has on me in their databases anyway, there’s nothing I’d be putting in that chip which they don’t already have access to one way or another.

I was amazed when I did my taxes this year at how the tax agency was able to enter my ARC ID number into their computer and instantly print out an exact record of all the dates I left and re-entered Taiwan last year.

And after that, the Mark of the Beast… :slight_smile:

Yep, they’ve had this in Shanghai for sometime. It’s so convenient, although it is distinct from UnionPay (Debit Card System)

One of the things I like about living here is how convenient it can be. I’m just waiting for when they combine the 2 systems together

[quote=“shifty”]I agree that is is a good thing, however considering how much of the economy is underground. I can’t see cabbies all that eager to install a device that will make them declare and pay taxes on more of their income.

I am just cynical or do others see this?[/quote]

things may have changed but when i was last in Taiwan. Certain peoples didnt pay taxes. Those were teachers (except english teachers i guess), doctors, government workers and taxi drivers? Guess they all have to declare an income now?

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]HK’s Octopus cards are used on all public transport, can be used to get stuff out of vending machines and in some 7-11s to buy stuff. Works fine, with no mention of fraud.

You can, although I haven’t, hook up your Octopuss card to a credit card and auto-replenish the value. The tight fisted types love this, so I;m told, because they can get Air Miles from it.

Face it, any increase in the means available to pay for something is all good.

HG[/quote]

I use a card to pay for the underground and taxis in Shanghai. Similar to Octopus. Sometimes they “drop” it on the floor and switch it for an empty one. This is known as the Fifth Modernisation. It mostly happens between The Pub and My Flat around daybreak on Sunday.