Taipei, China?

I was just reading about the Thomas and Uber Cups on the CCTV website. The Chinese are changing the status quo by referring to Taiwan as China, Taipei 中国台北队 - a designation that differs from the official Chinese Taipei.

cctv.com/news/sports/badmint … 3940.shtml
It’s on the sixth paragraph.

[quote=“ludahai”]I was just reading about the Thomas and Uber Cups on the CCTV website. The Chinese are changing the status quo by referring to Taiwan as China, Taipei 中国台北队 - a designation that differs from the official Chinese Taipei.

cctv.com/news/sports/badmint … 3940.shtml
It’s on the sixth paragraph.[/quote]
Glad to see you’re working on your Chinese and all… by reading the mainland press, no less. But you’re wrong on this point. Beijing has been calling the Taipei representatives ‘zhongguo taibei’ for as far back as I can remember. No change, just status quo.

I read the Mainland press to maintain my ability to read simplified characters which I studied when I lived in China. I am far better with traditional characters now.

Still, it IS a change because the official nomenclature is CHINESE Taipei, NOT China, Taipei. It is CHINA making the unacceptable change. I have heard that there is pressure to force this new moniker on Taiwan by the 2008 Olympics, though I have no links on that at this point.

ludahai, I think you are confused. The IOC designation has been Chinese Taipei, that’s right, but the mainland has always called it 中国台北. Taiwan calls it something different, of course. Technically, 中国台北 isn’t wrong for Chinese Taipei, either. Chinese Taipei, simply put, could be the Taipei of China, or the Taipei of the Chinese, depending on your political leanings. That is the point – Chinese Taipei is one name with different interpretations, so blue, red, green can all grudgingly accept.

中國 means “China”, NOT Chinese. It is clear that China is trying to use it as a claim of Taiwan. I talked with some of my students about this today and they were ANGRY about hearing about this. THEY know what 中國 means.

Zhonghua Taibei I would have thought…

sounds better
but as my point of view, zhongguo taiwan is more acceptable

If it make you feel better you can refer to Beijing as China, Beiping from now on.

How droll. And irrelevant.

中國 means “China”, NOT Chinese. It is clear that China is trying to use it as a claim of Taiwan. I talked with some of my students about this today and they were ANGRY about hearing about this. THEY know what 中國 means.[/quote]

中国 as a modifier can most definitely mean Chinese. In fact, it’s the same in English, Chinese is someone or some thing relating to, of, or having to do with China. Please brush up on your translation.
It is clear that Beijing considers Taiwan a part of a singular country named China; that’s no news.
Your students should not be angry because they evidently DO NOT know what 中国 means, because if they did, they’d notice on their ID cards that they live in China, just a different one.
Anyway, what difference does it make? Why waste time talking to your students about this? It sounds like YOU are more angry than they are, for god knows what reason. You should be talking to your students instead about the (controlled number of) Chinese tourists in Taiwan for the May Day holiday and prepare them for the ever increasing exchange between the two sides.

中國菜 means “Chinese food” not “China food” and so on. Sorry, whoever said “Zhongguo” does not also mean “Chinese” is just plain wrong. Adjective, noun, verb… in Chinese it’s all context dependent.

Well, my students, who are Taiwanese and who were offended (many were ANGRY), would beg to differ regarding the context in this case. China claims that others should respect THEIR wish on how to call things (i.e. they get steamed about the use of East Turkestan, Manchuria and Kashgar then they would prefer the use of Xinjiang, Dongbei and Kashi respectively), but they show no regard for the fact that Taiwan use the phrase 中華台北 rather than 中國台北.

Another point. Is there another instance in Chinese where Jhongguo before a CITY or other place name DOESN’T mean CHINA?

All you are saying is the PRC has more political influence in map nonmenclature. That’s nothing new.

If you want to do your ROC students a service, make them memorize the ROC map and place names. This way when they become rich ROC business people and travel to the PRC, they might be able to influence some poor uneducated migrant workers in the PRC.

What a bizarre question. What a bizarre series of questions.

Who/what/where had a problem with Kashi being called Kashgar? Kashi is the hanyu pinyin version of the name in Chinese; in Turkic/Uyghur, I’m sure it’s written differently. In English, it’s often romanized as Kashgar. The English-language state press often refers to Kashi as Kashgar, because those of us living in the non-bizarre world don’t really consider it relevant.

See:
app1.chinadaily.com.cn/star/2005 … r16-1.html

For that matter, beida is still largely called Peking University in English. God save us from that indignity.

You want to talk about changing the status quo? How about changing the national symbol of the ROC to an image of Taiwan on the national ID card?

Forget about word order, that’s what I call a change.

[quote=“taiwansotherside”]You want to talk about changing the status quo? How about changing the national symbol of the ROC to an image of Taiwan on the national ID card?

Forget about word order, that’s what I call a change.[/quote]
Hehe, wait a second, you’re telling me that by enforcing a unilateral change in political spheres by changing what you ADDRESS YOUR POLITICAL OPPONENT is LESS significant than your political opponent changing a picture on their national ID card?

WOW. Thats some prestine logic there. I wish there was a message in your post that pointed out some derision that China prefers the national symbol of the ROC on Taiwan’s National ID Card over a green blob! I would think a non descript Green Blob would be much more politically neutral than say the ROC FLAG of which they complained about so often.