Taipei City Council candidate assaulted

25-year-old man surnamed Chang (張) got into an argument with his girlfriend the previous evening. After a long night of eating and drinking in the Dazhi neighborhood of Zhongshan District, he found that his wallet was missing early the next morning.

When Chang went down to the Dazhi Police Station at 7 a.m. on Wednesday morning to report the loss, he claimed that because he was in a bad mood and that the candidate calling for votes on the roadside was"very noisy", he struck Lin, causing her to suffer lacerations to her head, police officers at the station arrested Chang on the spot.

3 Likes

Some serious anger management issues in Taiwan. I hope this guy gets help (I will not however be holding my breath waiting for this to happen).

Guy

3 Likes

Don’t be like that. He was in a bad mood. Crazy how often I hear this as an excuse.

2 Likes

I was going to make a cynical comment about maybe her playing up an unexpected bonanza here, but it’s a lot more serious than I thought

After receiving emergency treatment, although Lin’s wound had been sutured, doctors listed her in serious condition. Not only was she diagnosed with a concussion, but she also suffered from bleeding from the right side of her head.
In addition, her right scapula was fractured and she had no mobility in her arm. She is currently hospitalized for diagnosis and treatment.

3 Likes

Yes it’s not just some kind of roadside dispute; it’s a serious case of assault.

So many loose cannons out there. :slightly_frowning_face:

Guy

5 Likes

Yeah, and any hit causing a fall can lead to serious injuries like this. Something for people to think about before initiating violence, hopefully.

2 Likes

WTF…I really prefer the funny Wack Things in Taiwan stories. :pensive:

4 Likes

Those two paragraphs are nothing but providing a speaker for the lame excuses of an aggressor. “Look, he’s not that bad, he just was in a bad mood, and she was noisy.” I’m worried about his girlfriend.

2 Likes

Hard to tell what happened here, but I’m guessing he hit her on the head and she fell. I suspect he had no intent to cause so much damage and didn’t realise that if you’re concussed and fall in an uncontrolled manner, serious injury or death is entirely possible. What I mean is, he perhaps isn’t a habitual aggressor and had an uncharacteristic moment of madness.

Not saying he had any excuse whatsoever for doing such a thing, and hopefully she makes a full recovery, but these halfwit politicians might now be slightly more inclined to behave like civilized adults instead of three-year-olds screaming for attention. If they can’t comprehend that some people are a little crazy and might be triggered by their haranguing, they don’t belong in public office. It’s a pity they couldn’t rein it in before something like this (inevitably) happened.

I find his excuses quite ridiculous. There no reason to assault someone.

If this is his reaction to noise, then he would be assaulting someone every other day in Taiwan.

5 Likes

I am no fan of the New Party, but this slur is uncalled for, especially after this vicious assault.

Guy

3 Likes

I think you completely missed my point. It is logically possible for two people to be in the wrong simultaneously. I am not saying she deserved it, or that the assailant should get away with it, or anything similar.

Politicians here seem to think the law doesn’t apply to them (in this case the laws that pertain to public nuisance). And in fact they’re right - it doesn’t. Which is why it’s incumbent upon them to exercise some common sense and good judgement.

With video!

3 Likes

Right outside the fucking police station. This cretin needs to be locked up and eating cockroach rice.

3 Likes

I’m going to disagree with you here. Nobody should ever sucker punch anyone ever. Intent might be a factor, but it’s still unacceptable. You deck someone who doesn’t expect it, their head hits the concrete…

1 Like

Yeah, that’s outrageous. If he hit someone over such a trivial reason, he’s a lunatic, full stop. Whatever you think about the mild annoyance of election activities is irrelevant.

6 Likes

Of course they shouldn’t. I’m suggesting that maybe he is not habitually violent and didn’t even know what might happen. Just a possibility.

That is a possibility. But, facts

I disagree. This sort of thing happens all the time, and the underlying reason turns out to be far less simple than “the guy is a psychopath who just likes hitting women”.

Of course he might be a psychopath who just likes hitting women. It’s also possible that he’s telling the truth - this was just the last straw in a long sequence of bad things that had happened to him, he snapped, and did something he would never normally do.

Again, I’m not suggesting any of this is an excuse. There is no excuse. I’m positing a possible explanation.

1 Like

It seems he may have been under the influence of alcohol and as such he may have had diminished good judgment. No excuse of course.

If anything, the fact that he hit a politician canvassing should weigh heavily against him in a court case and with sentencing.