Taipei City God Celebration?

I read in ‘the rough guide to taiwan’, that there should be the birthday celebration of the taipei city god in june.

With lion dances, firecrackers and traditional music…

When exactly is it this year? The book just mentions June (of course because of the lunar calendar it could be over already)

[quote=“Dater”]I read in ‘the rough guide to Taiwan’, that there should be the birthday celebration of the taipei city god in june.

With lion dances, firecrackers and traditional music…

When exactly is it this year? The book just mentions June (of course because of the lunar calendar it could be over already)[/quote]

Unfortunately, you just missed it. 2009 保生文化祭 (God of medicine) ended on May 31. Sorry.

Thank you for answering my question Kate :slight_smile:

But Baosheng Dadi is not the city god.

According to “Private Prayers and Public Parades” there are two dates:

• 13th day of the 5th lunar month for Xi Hai Temple (No 61 Dihua St.)

[Looks like that one was last week, sorry]

• 25 October (normal calendar) for the Provincial City God Temple (14 Wuchang St.)

Also Changhua’s is coming up on June 13, Taichung and Nantou have theirs on June 15.

…around August you should be able to see the God of traffic snarls, poor road repair and sewer gas festival in full swing.

This must have been the one! Thank you Screaming Jesus for confirmation.

Argh… another missed opportunity to shoot interesting photos :stuck_out_tongue:

Does it have to be the city god, or do you just want to see a parade? I can tell you when the next one is, if you want.

There’s still associated Chinese Opera on at Dihua St everyday until Sunday. 3-5pm and 7-9pm.

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]But Baosheng Dadi is not the city god.

According to “Private Prayers and Public Parades” there are two dates:

• 13th day of the 5th lunar month for Xi Hai Temple (No 61 Dihua St.)

[Looks like that one was last week, sorry]

• 25 October (normal calendar) for the Provincial City God Temple (14 Wuchang St.)

Also Changhua’s is coming up on June 13, Taichung and Nantou have theirs on June 15.[/quote]

According to my coworker, who also voluneteers as a temple aide, one date is the proper birthday of the god, while the other celebrates the date he was named as patron of the city and hence is considered also the city’s birthday.