🌆 Taipei City - Places to Visit

If youre hiking, Wulai has some REALLY good easy trails for rainy days. Perfect for viewing various ferns ,mosses, fungi etc if you are into that sort of thing. That place is best visited wet in my opinion :slight_smile: the bioluminescent mycena are in season now :wink:

2 Likes

I’m shopping for hiking boots. So many poisonous snake signs around that it seems an upgrade i should do while im in the city where they will have my size…

Oh haha. I misread that. Still, that area is pretty in the rain. Can take the mrt to the end (green line?) And have some food, beers etc under cover on the river and enjoy the greenery.

Bonus, not many snakes out in the rain :slight_smile:

1 Like

National Palace Museum is overrated. I recommend the west side. Start with the National Center of Photography across from Taipei main station, and then walk down the street to the North Gate. Walk through it and cross the street to the Railway Department Museum. Give it about an hour. Then walk into Wanhua via Ximending (no, not for the “tea” but for the history). Make a stop at the Red House, then continue on to Bopiliao Historic Bloc and nearby Xinfu Market for coffee. I guarantee this (~6 hour) itinerary is a lot more fun and fulfilling than visiting the stuffy National Palace Museum.

7 Likes

Yes. Will link a few shops later. Later like tomorrow.

If it’s snakes what concerns you, maybe you want to go local and wear rain boots.

1 Like

So it’s true, the ladies there are older?

Yup, older and wiser.

1 Like

I think everyone should visit the NPM once at least (YMMV!). But great stuff. Maybe get the coffee at Fengda near Ximen Station on the way. Check out the weird old temple across the street

5 Likes

Especially on a rainy day, can save the walking tour for a nicer day…

2 Likes

Danshui, but I’m biased.

1 Like

Whats there to do there on a rainy day?

Drink at the bar by the river in peace.

and Mango wings.

2 Likes

It always rains in Danshui, that’s the secret

2 Likes

I live in Danshui, more often than not, it rains less than Taipei.

Edit: Example I took. @OrangeOrganics One is north to Danshui and one towards Taipei centre

1 Like

Yeah?

1 Like

Yeah. I commute to Taipei every day and so many days where It’s sunny here and then I get to Shilin and see the big black clouds hovering over Daan and zhongshan.

The new railway museum looks good, but I have never been

My perception of Danshui was that it was cold and wet. At some level you may have altered my perception. To a certain extent that is

It’s not like it doesn’t, but when it does rain, it’s because it rains everywhere. I think Keelung is more deserving of that reputation. But for me as someone who has commuted between Danshui and Taipei nearly daily for 6 ish years, I find it really rare that it rains in Danshui only and not in Taipei. The other way around is fairly common. I had so many Taiwanese tell me Danshui is always wet and rainy so when I caught it in the photos from the top of the office, I went for the proof.

2 Likes

It’s not bad. The building and grounds are interesting. There’s a cool diorama of the old station and surroundings.

2 Likes