Taipei City's Population Decline

Not much in that price range. Even ugly stuff of that size is generally a lot more than 4M.

https://sale.591.com.tw/?shType=list&price=0_1000&regionid=1

4M gets you small pings well outside of the central parts of the city.

A small 3 bedroom in Shilin could easily run you double that 4M figure.

I would say anything halfway decent in Taipei for a family of three is about 20 million now. But maybe even this is outdated and it’s higher now?

1 Like

That’s about right. Some examples of what ~$20 gets you these days.

Some apartments in this range are actually decently renovated inside (by Taiwan standards) but the problem is the locations usually suck and you’re almost always going to be in a building that’s 30-50 years old.

A reasonably sized 3 bedroom in a building less than 20 years old in a decent location for $20 would be considered a steal.

2 Likes

The horrible rotten apartments in Taipei aren’t suited for families…I know some who live there but their life quality isn’t so great either crammed on each other and saving money to pay the mortgage. Of course it’s great for those high earners with no kids or given the free house by granddad.

3 Likes

Having lived in Hsinchu City back in the day, I can assure you that such sh&t housing stock is not limited to our capital city alone.

Guy

7 Likes

I’m one seriously thinking about to move to Taichung, I have being in Taipei for 11 years and there is no miracle or magic that could open the possibility to buy a place here. Every time I compare the house market in Taipei with anywhere else in Taiwan, the quality for money is ridiculous big.

As a simple example: 30M in Taipei you might buy something reasonable, but then we get the same 30M and check in Taichung, you can buy something really high end and double or triple of the size of the same place as in Taipei.

If you move to New Taipei City or those other areas like Linkou or Wugu, the situation does not change that much, you can get something nice in the middle of nowhere just to be near Taipei, however the money still has small value in those areas.

I work in Taipei, and I’m gonna start to research how is the Job market in my area down south, the worst case might be to commute from Taichung to Hsinschu.

3 Likes

Taichung is not polluted anymore. Only Kaohsiung and Tainan are polluted for like a couple of weeks in winter (like now) these days.

And people moving out of the centre is very common. The distinction between Taipei and New Taipei is nonsense anyway.

2 Likes

:roll_eyes:

Taichung’s air quality might have improved compared to x years ago, but to say “Taichung is not polluted anymore” is :man_facepalming:

1 Like

It’s yellow most of the time and this is the worst season.

1 Like

Right. So yellow means “not polluted”.

Just a few days ago.

In addition, 12 monitoring stations have issued orange alerts for air that is “unhealthy for sensitive groups” in Taichung, Changhua, Nantou, Yunlin, Chiayi, Tainan, Kaohsiung, and Pingtung. Air quality is mainly listed as “moderate” in northwestern Taiwan, while air quality in northern, northeastern, and eastern Taiwan is reportedly “good.”

3 Likes

Red is bad. Yellow is fine.

1 Like

Okayyyyyy. Chabuduo.

1 Like

I agree with this. (The air is bad this month but summers+fall are great though!) After being in Taipei, I really find mid sized cities better for the lifestyle and rental values. Spent time in mid sized cities like Perth and Cork (working holiday) and found the vibe great, after awhile all big cities seem alike with people after more cash and work. Working cafes overseas I get chat more, and heard like comments above a lot from younger people.

2 Likes

It has been every time I’ve gone down there on business in recent years.

The Taichung Power Plant (Chinese: 台中發電廠; pinyin: Táizhōng Fādiànchǎng ) is a coal-fired power plant in Longjing, Taichung, Taiwan. With an installed coal-fired generation capacity of 5,500 MW, it is the third largest coal-fired power station in the world and also the world’s largest emitter of carbon dioxide with approximately 40 million tons annually (or about as much as the country of Switzerland as a whole.

suburb? you mean gardens, garages and swimming pools that sort of thing?

yea that’s exactly how i would describe yong he!

1 Like

No. I mean satellite city often lacking tertiary amenities that big ‘cities’ often have.

2 Likes

Everyone is too cool to have fun these days :rofl:

Hsinchu is a special case. There are lots of rich engineers, business people …working there. Other places on the west coast are way cheaper.

I was not referring to cost.

Cheers,
Guy

2 Likes

New taipei barely lacks though, it has the transport. supermarkets, shops and restaurants, shopping malls even. its still a city, it’s more like taipei -1. but its still taipei. the parts surrounding taipei anyway, yong he and far off places like jin shan are the same city, but on practical terms they are not.

How about we just rename sanchong, xinzhuang, banqiao, zhonghe, yong he and xindian ‘the donut’?