“Taipei, CN” - Please make your opinions heard!

China is trying to make Taiwan take the initiative so that the anti-secession law can be enforced.
And pretty soon Taiwan will have to do this.

Yes, people do business.

In 1786 the farmer George Washington can be seen trying to get paid for the flour he sold to agents of a British concern, apparently prior to the Revolution (Mr. Balfour, representing the British concern, died in 1775).

(Apologies; I just realized I botched the embedding job; should be fixed now.)

Well, it’s been said that there’s no accounting for taste, but some people feel that a regime of basic rights and self-government is morally preferable to a regime that, for example, arrests people for complaining that corrupt school-construction practices resulted in the deaths of school children.

1 Like

Yeah it’s a fair point and a point of irony too. Many Taiwanese are willing to sell Taiwan down the river in exchange for rich business pickings in China. But the ridiculousness lies with the Taiwan people and not the big-noses who seem to value the independence of the island more highly than the locals do.

2 Likes

I think Air Canada already sorted that one.

3 Likes

There will always be individuals who cynically exploit for personal gain. Arguably more so in cultures where familial ties take precedence over society as a whole. The point about liberal democracies is they work around this via a system. It goes without saying that it’s never a perfect system, but it will always be a superior system to any which results in one political party or a dictator.

It’s tragic to watch democracy decaying around the world. Xi, Duterte, Maduro, Putin, Trump - small dicked pathetic men. Terrified of getting sodomised with a bayonet, yet for some reason a sizable minority still offer them their support. It’s mind-boggling.

3 Likes

Yea India is doing so much better than China eh

1 Like

China raced ahead of India and has much better metrics in terms of incomes , health , literacy, housing.

But India will eventually catch up somewhat and the middle class and their media are vibrant there .
India will most likely have a faster growing economy than China over the next few years.
They didn’t lose their rights in the process (notwithstanding caste system ). They still have diversity of opinions and not afraid to share them.

Certainly the poor in India may not care about much of that but they would care about religious freedom. They didn’t junk their heritage.

I didn’t mention India. However, now that you have am I correct in assuming that you think a liberal democracy (of sorts) in India is inferior to a one party state/dictatorship in China?

Yes, but those rights are no better than Marie Antoinettes cake if you are living in the street and dont know where your next meal is coming from.

I guess my point is that the illusion of democracy does not necessarily deliver the goods to the people who need them

1 Like

The illusion of democracy I think you’re referring to has, historically, a 100% better chance of delivering democracy than dictatorship or a one party state. Democracy (not perfect - perhaps an illusion) has a 100% proven track record of delivering the goods people need over time better than not democracy.

yea, tell that to the millions who starved under the British in Ireland, India, and elsewhere

1 Like

What on earth does this have to do with the topic of this thread? If you wish to start a thread on British rule in Ireland, India, and elsewhere, please go and do so–now. Don’t worry, we’ll close the door for you as you head on your way out.

Guy

It depends how one defines a democracy. For much of the British Empire it wasn’t one. I suppose one could argue about slaves in Athens. I don’t think it helps clarify the argument.

sorry, your majesty

It wasn’t remotely equivalent to modern democracies.

you see, id argue that no country has ever achieved democracy.

Well, unless we’re approaching deep state conspiracies then democracy has clearly been achieved many times. All eligible members of many states have elected governments. Are you disputing that historical fact?

I guess my main point is that, like it or not, the PRC is very close to eliminating absolute poverty, it has lifted tens, hundreds of millions out of it. Thats it basically.