“Taipei, CN” - Please make your opinions heard!

I wasn’t clear that that was your main point. So, in the context of this thread you think the PRC has been more successful at eliminating poverty than Taiwan?

I wouldnt say that myself, you can say it for me if you like :wink:

Why would you need me to say it for you?

Just referring to the way you appeared to suggest what I was saying a couple of times. im saying what im saying, thats all

What are you on about? I’ve made no statements about you, only asked questions to try to clarify your position.

I guess thats just your posting style then. no worries.

So, you’re saying that my posting style is wrong?

no, i am not saying that, man… ha ha

You mean I have no sense of humour?

no man, are you winding me up?

1 Like

Are you being sarcastic? What parts of China have you been to? I’ve seen horrific poverty in Shenzhen, Guilin, Shanghai, pretty much every part. People are hungry when they will accept your leftovers without arguing for cash, and eat right on the spot. Have you ever watched a mother feed her lifeless child from a trashcan? The kid is lifeless because they drug them so they won’t cry from hunger. This is the just the tip of the iceberg if you want to talk about forced abortions, people being picked up by the white vans for being in a group in a park. If you really have been to China, buy an extra meal and give it to someone who needs it. They are there.

6 Likes

I did see a mother feed her kid from a trashcan in Shenzhen ten years ago outside the train station.

I was so shocked I didn’t know if it was to scam money from tourists or what. I didn’t do anything I just couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

1 Like

According to a poll taken from November 29 to December 2 of last year and apparently commissioned by CommonWealth Magazine:

The magazine noted that there’s been slippage over time:

But even with the slippage, among young adults polled (aged 20 to 29), the percentage of respondents identifying as Taiwanese was in the 70s:

Time will tell, but from what I’ve read over the years, it looks to me as if the overall trend has been towards identifying as Taiwanese. That trend appears to have weakened somewhat in recent months, and for all I know, it may weaken more, but the numbers still seem to be holding up at this point.

Anecdotally my wife has heard quite a few kids and teenagers over the last year say they don’t care if they are Chinese because China has more money and jobs etc etc. They don’t seem to get challenged by their peers , at least in Taipei.

I think they are echoing what their parents are telling them at home.

2 Likes

Hsinhai78 You’re making up your arguments with a lot of implications from what the ROC constitutions do not say. It is a common tactic from anti-Taiwan campto refer to the ROC constitution, using to illustrate that the Taiwanese agree to be a part of China because of the ROC constitution.

I get why you find it a useful in the Chinese-speaking world. But outside of the Chinese-speaking word, people are used to making distinctions between various physical entities.

1 Like

Well quick political recap for those just up from a deep sleep.

First there was one China and one Taiwan lost to Japan because China really didn’t mind.

The Ccp took over China and kicked the KMT out who were then transported to Taiwan by the US govt who took control of Taiwan from Japan.

Taiwan then became China lite.
The KMT spent decades trying to take back the mainland and fought for recognition as the true ruler of all China. And eventually no one significant, including the KMT believes that.

But the Rep of China is now not allowed by China to say its not China. Even though China has gone to great lengths to tell the world Taiwan is not China well technically that Taiwan doesn’t represent China

And in fact Chinese can not freely travel to Taiwan

So now Taiwan doesn’t shout that its the Rep of China and many of its people want to be seen as Taiwanese. Quick to point out the aborigine blood in most Taiwanese , something they were not proud of in the past.

Now Taiwan wants to be Taiwan Up and not China Lite.

But this is not possible without the threat of WW3

Do Taiwan passports still say Rep of China? Or is the ROC in parenthesis?

I say if China wants Taiwan to be Chinese again the CCP should resign its one party govt and allow both the KMT and the DPP seats in govt

How’s that?

1 Like

Charlie_Jack, Taiwan’s refraining from changing the text of the ROC constitution is mainly due to preserving national unity within Taiwan (i.e., the long-term policy of a peaceful solution to the KMT problem). This self-restraint predates China’s so-called law.

China hopes that by messing with the “labeling” of the population on Taiwan, China can gain the territory of Taiwan through the population.

But for propaganda purposes China claims the territory called Taiwan is Chinese regardless the population.

Im not against the principle of reunification… i think it would do wonders for the local economy.
But not while the CCP is still in power after seeing what happened to HK

If China moved towards a democratic system than I’d be on board and I think a lot of locals would be too. More job opportunity, mainland investments, more powerful security militarily, shared language., Easier trade

2 Likes

Nice summary, @tommy525, except that the Nationalists took control of Taiwan in October of 1945, about four years before they fled China.

2 Likes