“Taipei, CN” - Please make your opinions heard!

This does seem pretty harsh. All the hard work was done only to have the rug pulled out from under their feet at the last minute. lf I was Taiwan, I wouldn’t bother trying to fight China.

I always find it curious foreigners getting all up in a huff over whether Taiwan is part of China or not. Let they (Taiwanese & Chinese) take care of their own problems, I say. Taiwanese people really don’t care what a bunch of foreigners think about their politics. So let them deal with it and enjoy the show

2 Likes

Another company that should hear from us:
customer.relations@lufthansa.com

the name under which taiwan is a member of the wto is irrelevant, what matters is that what china is doing could be seen as unfair trade practices and as such it could possible fall within the purview of the wto dispute settlement mechanism.

1 Like

The name is irrelevant? How do you protest the use of a wrong name of your country to an organization which you joined under the wrong fucking name in the first place? Do you not see some connection here? :wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

5 Likes

Well, obviously Taiwan cannot protest the use of the wrong name as that does not fall within the purview of the wto what airlines say on their websites. The wto deals with trade disputes.

What china is doing is using domestic laws to coarse international companies to change their behaviour in a way that disadvantages the customs territory of Chinese taipei, irrespective if that behaviour is changing names on the website or cancelling landings to taipei etc.

yeah nah, they care.

Dude, you are the one who mentioned the WTO as a way to solve this problem. :roll_eyes:

Guy

Yes, so it should. What’s your point ?

If you cannot see the trouble here, I’m afraid I am unable to help.

Look, I have no issue with folks changing their minds (this is a sign that the community is healthy and functional), but I’d also add that it’d be polite to other forumosans to actually acknowledge or understand you are doing so.

Bye for now,

Guy

I’m not sure what it is your are trying to point out. But as I explained previously, what websites use on their websites as names for Taiwan obviously doesn’t fall within the purview of the wto.

But, what does fall within the purview of the wto are trade disputes. And, in this case China is using domestic legislation to coarse international companies to change their behaviour without valid e.g public safety ground to the detriment of Taiwan(in this case forcing them to assign a confusing name to Taiwan)

The wto wouldn’t rule on the name in this case, they would rule on the domestic legislation in China if its compatible with wto rules

Really? How many times have you seen a foreigner asked in a poll about Taiwan politics? And I’m not talking about in one of those cringe worthy TV shows. I mean officially.

Last time I checked Taiwan doesn’t let foreigners vote. Kinda implies they don’t care what foreigners think about their country.

I’ve said it before and at the risk of being a broken record… I’ll care when the Taiwanese government cares about foreigner rights.
As it stands they only allow super duper foreigners in their professional naturalization club which means they don’t want our input… when we would be their biggest advocates.

You’ve got a point, I guess.

I might be wrong, but I suspect that he’s not an English native speaker, so he deals with two things at once: what to express, and how to express it, making some mistakes or expressing things in a way that could be misleading. But he kinda has a point, maybe not entirely right, but he might be right what the heck.

1 Like

no, it just means the government doesn’t. Taiwanese people do, both those working in public positions and those you get to know day by day. Every Taiwanese with whom I’m familiar, either for work or friendship or whatever, eventually brought up the Taiwan / china discussion. Of course some are more interested than others. When I talk with people from the Olympic committee, volleyball association etc etc, the topic comes up quicker than when I chat with the staff of some tea store.

Isn’t it ironic that instead of tackling the fake vaccines, potentially disastrous housing bubble burst, and all the severe floods caused by minor storms and typhoons, China chooses to focus on harrassing Taiwan with such nuisances?

1 Like

On the contrary, it is perfectly logical. They need a distraction. However, one would think the “commercial war with US” would be distracting enough and a foe suitable to paint as the cause of all evil. Alas, the worse it gets in China, the worse it looks for Taiwan’s chances to survive in peace.

3 Likes

They feed the population bucketloads of lies on Taiwan, especially about President Tsai.

But Taiwan needs to stand firm and not show weakness.

I suspect many in China are NOT supporters of Xi Jin Ping but there is no civil society there and no openness. Everybody for himself under a great big fake nationalist umbrella.

3 Likes

Taiwan is still the Repubic of China and as such it is correct to say Taiwan, China.

By the way Taiwan can not allow foreigners to vote even if they are permanent residents. I don’t know any nation that allows foreigners to vote.

This is normal . A green card holder in the USA is expressly forbidden from voting and could lose their green card if they do. Green card holders have most of the rights of US citizens except the right to vote and access to jobs that require US citizenship as well as being required to report a change of address in a prompt manner.

Lots of countries allow non citzen residents to vote in local elections.

They’re not being genuine. They couldn’t care less. Do you really think a Taiwanese is going to say “Oh, Mr Foreigner, please tell us how our country should be lead? We’re just on tenterhooks waiting for your expert opinion!”

It’s just false niceties. It’s all smiles and cuddles with Taiwanese until you tell them two things: Taiwan is part of China and Taiwan girls are easy. Watch just how fast they value your opinion when they’re chasing you out the country with pitchforks like they did with Ceejryder (or whatever his dumb name is.)