Taipei (English Friendly) Cycling Clubs and Bike Shops (Maintenance)

Hi everyone, my company has an office in Taipei (Nangang) and I’m usually there a week a month, often enough that I’ve kept a road bike there.

I wanted to find some groups to bike with, but everything I searched for is in Mandarin, and I only speak English (starting to learn basic communications).

I also want to get some bike maintenance done - I have a race oriented bike so I’m pretty sensitive about its care. Would like a complete overhaul of the bike, including cabling, re-greasing of hubs and bottom bracket, etc.

Hoping for suggestions on both, thanks!

@9hW43r3NVkQJhFY7E6X ,
I’m still trying to get past how to pronounce your name…:slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha, I’m learning it myself!

You can try looking on Facebook for Yang Ming Shan Cycling Club

We also have our own little group here on the forums

As for bike maintenance. I go to the Merida shop in Neihu. Let me know if you need help translating, the mechanic is a good guy, knows what he’s doing and a good friend of mine. I am there often and always like an excuse to go to the bike shop.

Complete overhaul of the bike is 1000NT which includes check-up and clean. If you want your BB greased and such, let the mechanic know and he’ll do it with fee included in the 1000NT. As for new brake/gear cables, he won’t charge for service, but parts only.

Depending on what kind of cables you use, you should walk away with a well oiled and maintenanced bike for 2000NT-ish.

How often do you maintain your bike?

I clean it myself probably once every 2 weeks. Depending on the conditions. If I ride through rain, I clean it immediately, mostly the drive train, as I don’t want anything to rust.

Sending it to the bike doctor? I try to go twice a year. Since I know the guy, one out of the two times, I request him to give it a nice clean and check up since I don’t really thoroughly clean as I say I do. Other times I tell him to take everything apart, clean, grease and check.

Do you clean it in the shower after riding in the rain lol.
I really miss just having a garage where you can wash your car/bike/build stuff.

I have a balcony so I wash it there. When I’m too lazy to wash it after I get home, I just drop by the bike shop on the way home.

Buy the guys a Coke and I borrow their tub/cleaners and wash it right there.

That’s great thanks! I’ll send a message on my next trip in about a month.