Taipei Hiking Club Events Chat III

Mod Note:

Continuation from:
this post in the Taipei Hiking Club Events II thread.

Before that was the Taipei Hiking Club Events I thread.

This thread is for general chat about hiking club events/brainstorming and general hiking posts. When posts result in an actual hiking being organized, these posts will be split off into their own thread and [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/taipei-hiking-club-events-index/22580/1 Or, a new thread can be started directly with a hiking proposal.
When a hike is coming up, PM the mod about it to get it indexed asap.

Rgds,
Truant

[quote=“Muzha Man”]
BTW, I find this jumping around threads confusing.[/quote]
So am I. Hopefully it is a transition phase only.

I’d still like to know from Truant (originator of new method?) how many pieces this new organization chart has, in terms of number of threads, their names, and functions. Just to be clear that I/we know how to use this new system.

[quote=“seeker4”][quote=“Muzha Man”]
BTW, I find this jumping around threads confusing.[/quote]
So am I. Hopefully it is a transition phase only.

I’d still like to know from Truant (originator of new method?) how many pieces this new organization chart has, in terms of number of threads, their names, and functions. Just to be clear that I/we know how to use this new system.[/quote]
OK easy.

Basicially this thread, the “events chat thread” is for this sort of talk, and if/when a hike results the thread is split off and listed in the “index”.

So 2 regular threads, with specific hikes getting their own while they are being organised and for the post mortems.

The easiest way to use it, is go to the index first. If there is an upcoming hike listed go there, if not, go to the general thread.

I think it’s worth getting used to Truant’s new system. Basically we only ever post here anyway. Someone else splits it off every time there’s a new hike, so it’s just like all the old crap gets stored/indexed.

To find the old stuff, you can just go to the index (which will also include a reference to the latest thread, just in case).

That about right, Truant?

yep, you got it.

I think it will be easy enough to follow after a short while. Unfortunately the previous chat thread needed to be locked and a new one started right now, so that threw added confusion into the mix.

Remember, this system is in response to concerns that specific hike info was getting too hard to find in amongst all the chat etc - especially for newbies.

Actually, with all esteemed deference and cowtowing toward my colleague from the great state of Northern Ireland, I don’t think that’s accurate. The flow seems to be this, supposing there is not a new thread yet for the next hike:

1. Post questions in the general “chat” thread (this one)

2. Proposal from Mucha_Man or whomever for a hike goes in the “chat” thread (unless the proposer starts a new thread when making the proposal)

3. Once the new thread for next hike exists, conversation and questions about that hike move to that thread. At this point, the new specific hike thread is also listed in the index.

4. Comments and photos, etc. after a hike about that hike also go in that hike’s thread, not the general chat thread.

So, if this is the case, then the general chat thread (this one) is only used as a temporary piece of scratch paper for that brief snatch of time between the comments ending on the last hike and the “what are we doing” conversation beginning on the next hike.

Clear as mud? Did I miss or misunderstand something?

Well, maybe. Last time we did a short poll, no one was complaining. Secondly, this thread/these threads need to primarily serve the regular active hikers, IMO. New people can either figure out what’s going on by reading or by sending a PM to anyone who posts in any hiking thread.

All said, the index seems an unequivocally good idea. The switching between the general chat thread and hike-specific threads not as clear. Time will tell, but certainly worth a try.

One huge advantage that I can see to this system (other than the index of past hikes) is the use of index for future hikes. Let’s assume we ever begin to propose hikes for farther in the future than just the next weekend. We could list two, three, or more proposals for different future dates. Special hikes, special events, etc. Then, people could join each thread (and hike) as they desired. This method would also allow people to plan farther in advance for use of their weekends.

The subject of attacks by bees and hornets (or the fierce local equivalent, “tiger-head wasps”) came up on a recent hike, and I mentioned hearing a warning on the radio news about more attacks than usual having been reported lately. Yesterday, there were reports about a group of hikers suffering a particularly nasty and deadly attack. As I read in the Liberty Times, they were a group of 48 people who had set off on an 11-day trek from Hualian to Nantou. Not long into the hike (though the report isn’t clear about how far they’d gone), they were suddenly attacked by a swarm of these very nasty insects, and were badly stung even through their clothing. One of them died and six were hospitalized in serious condition.

The report included advice about how to avoid and react to such attacks, most of which is common sense. But it’s worth heeding the warning against wearing bright clothes or scent when heading out into the wilds, and following the advice to take plastic bags in which to seal up fruit peel, soft drink containers, and suchlike after eating. (So it’s another good reason for me to stick to my favourite black clothing when out on such jaunts.)

I got attacked this summer by some giant wasp or bee swarm when I was out bikeriding. I have never seen such large bees/wasps, might have been even little hornets. Anyway, it was probably somewhat my fault by stopping and holding on to a metal lantern post. The cover to the inside had been removed, and a nest was probably inside. The insects felt threatened and came at me, or I might have smelled badly from the excersice on my bike which might have resulted in this hostile reaction to my presence. Luckily I was still on my bike and took off immidiately in a road-runner-like fashion. Nevertheless, one was able to sting me through my t-shirt. Worst insect stung I ever had, no swelling, but a burning sensation with increased blood circulation for almost a week in a 5 cm radius around the point of penetration. And I usually have rather mild reactions to insect poison.

Guys, just to let you know, the top of the page says “FORUMOSA WILL SHUTDOWN FOR MAINTENANCE THIS WEEKEND - WATCH THIS SPACE FOR DETAILS”.

Maybe we should all make sure we have phone numbers etc, just in case.

[quote=“irishstu”]Guys, just to let you know, the top of the page says “FORUMOSA WILL SHUTDOWN FOR MAINTENANCE THIS WEEKEND - WATCH THIS SPACE FOR DETAILS”.

Maybe we should all make sure we have phone numbers etc, just in case.[/quote]
And not wait until the last minute to plan the hike maybe.

Nah. Where’s the fun in that??? :wink:

============================

About the bee wasp killer hornet things:

1. Got stung more than once out on our hikes, but never a swarm. Never saw the perpetrators. Attributed it to my natural sweetness.

2. Straws. Bring straws. (Think: breathing tube)

3. Bring a warm change of clothing (to prevent hypothermia after using your straw)

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]Yesterday, there were reports about a group of hikers suffering a particularly nasty and deadly attack…they were suddenly attacked by a swarm of these very nasty insects, and were badly stung even through their clothing. One of them died and six were hospitalized in serious condition.

The report included advice about how to avoid and react to such attacks[/quote]
Any chance of a link to the story?

Seriously, mentioning a few particulars here might make sense, such as:

• What do they look like?

• Things to avoid when dealing with these particular creatures. I’m wondering where they nest, for example, in trees, underground, etc. Knowing that really helps to avoid them or identify them sometimes.

[quote=“seeker4”]

• Things to avoid when dealing with these particular creatures. I’m wondering where they nest, for example, in trees, underground, etc. Knowing that really helps to avoid them or identify them sometimes.[/quote]

They nest in lantern poles. Stay away from those lanterns especially with open lids.

[quote=“ratlung”][quote=“seeker4”]

• Things to avoid when dealing with these particular creatures. I’m wondering where they nest, for example, in trees, underground, etc. Knowing that really helps to avoid them or identify them sometimes.[/quote]

They nest in lantern poles. Stay away from those lanterns especially with open lids.[/quote]
Next time I see a lantern pole out on a hiking trail, I’ll be sure to steer clear! :wink:

Any place else?

Anyone have / can get a photo of one of them and post it here?

[quote=“seeker4”][quote=“ratlung”][quote=“seeker4”]

They nest in lantern poles. Stay away from those lanterns especially with open lids.[/quote]
Next time I see a lantern pole out on a hiking trail, I’ll be sure to steer clear! :wink:
[/quote]

Me too! And I won’t bring any open lids on the hike in the first place. That might help. :stuck_out_tongue:

Please don’t – capital offense and all that rot!

[quote=“seeker4”][quote=“ratlung”][quote=“seeker4”]

Any place else?

Anyone have / can get a photo of one of them and post it here?[/quote]

Maybe I can catch a couple out of that lantern pole and send them to you in a box. Make sure you shake the box heavily before opening it. :smiley: :smiley:

I knew there was something about you that I liked … just couldn’t put my finger on it. Helpfulness!

I’ve seen these ones fairly often, and these

I couldn’t find a picture of the real BIG motherfuckers you get in the woods though – they’re about 2 inches long, shiny dark brown and MEAN.

Well I just measured those ones and they’re about 5" long! (on my monitor at least)

Sandman, thanks for the photos. Which one attacked the people in the article, any way to tell?

Yeah, swarms of hornets the size of sparrows could be challenging.

In all seriousness, I wonder what the best way is to avoid these things, other than just stay out of the woods?

Is there some reason why they are here now, or have they always been a problem here?

(It looks like this chat thread might have other uses as well :sunglasses: )

Not sure, but more likely to have been the ones I couldn’t find a pic of (2 inches long, dark brown, shiny, mean).

Why are they more aggressive now? Don’t know for sure but in UK, the yellowjackets we have there get more aggressive toward the end of the year as the cold weather slows them down and their food sources dwindle.