Taipei Hiking Club Events Chat III

Those zapping rackets work quiet well for me. :smiling_imp:
Or ratbrain uses those patches, they smell somewhat like lemon, but they keep away the mosquitos pretty well.

I think you are right, same with German wasps. They can feel the clock ticking towards the end, so they are desparate to survive, although using their defensive weapon systems usually kills them as well.

[quote=“seeker4”]Any chance of a link to the story?

Seriously, mentioning a few particulars here might make sense, such as:

• What do they look like?

• Things to avoid when dealing with these particular creatures. I’m wondering where they nest, for example, in trees, underground, etc. Knowing that really helps to avoid them or identify them sometimes.[/quote]

I don’t have a link to the report I read, which was in the Chinese-language Liberty Times. I’ve already thrown out the paper, but I remember that the people who were attacked described the “hutoufeng” as having blackish undersides (or something like that), and an expert said they were probably the meanest and most aggressive of all the hutoufeng species.

As far as I know, they generally nest in trees. The advice on how to avoid being attacked by them included the suggestion that you don’t go within 50 metres of their nest, as any closer proximity than that might mark you as a threat to be repelled. And it suggested that, if you are attacked, you should cover your head with your jacket and run like hell – the further you can get away from the nest, the less likely they are to pursue and continue stinging you. It also mentioned that you should not try to swat them or shoo them away, as that will only rile them up more and cause them to intensify their attack.

These ones?

The ones that attacked the people are these ones: Vespa basalis

They are mainly distrubuted in the 1000-2000m altitude range in the mountains. They are the most aggressive and dangerous of the seven species of hornets found in Taiwan. They will chase intruders 50-100 metres away from their nest.

Another type of hornet is more dangerous, though rarer to come across in Taiwan. They are also found in the 1000-2000m altitude range in the mountains mostly. There was a man a month ago who got stung by one on the street and died.
Kinda scary page about them: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet

The workers are more aggressive in the fall, because they have to feed the males and fertile females. Soon all of them will die except for the fertilized females.

If you encounter wasps or hornets and they attack, cover your head and run the hell away. Don’t squat once they start attacking and don’t try to swat them, cause you’re just going to get stung. When they sting you, or when they’re squished, they release chemicals which cause wasps from the surrounding area to come to their aid.

Here are a couple of page with lots of bees and wasps found in Taiwan:
yoyo.center.kl.edu.tw/New23/cp03_6.htm
freebsd.tspes.tpc.edu.tw/~afu/a10.htm

You’re thinking of bees. Wasps do not have barbed stingers, so they will sting you until you go away.

Does anyone else think this looks like they’re eating human flesh, namely someone’s tongue? :astonished:

I was trying hard not to think about that. Thanks a bunch!! :stinkyface:

[color=red]NOTICE - Hornet program on tonight[/color]

On the National Geographic Channel at 8pm tonight, there is a program called “About Asia: Hornets from Hell”.

A program description is below:

"About Asia: Hornets from Hell
It’s springtime in Japan and in this ethereal landscape of radiance and renewal, a queen awakens from her winter slumber. The Asian giant hornet is the largest hornet in the world and is a fearsome combination of power, aggression and homicidal prowess. The venom of this gargantuan insect can dissolve tissue and its tremendous mandibles are capable of killing up to 40 victims per minute. National Geographic joins Dr. Masato Ono in his fascinating, and sometimes dangerous, quest to unlock the key to wasp society.
"

ngcasia.com/watch/

What brilliant timing! Absolutely not to be missed!

I was trying hard not to think about that. Thanks a bunch!! :stinkyface:[/quote]

Y’all think too much. It’s decompsing lien wu(wax apple).

The NGC hornet program was ok, but not great. I don’t know what it is these days, but it seems like every TV producer is trying to make his programs come off like “X-Men” or some other superhero adventure. National Geographic used to be synonymous with quality. I’m afraid to say that has slipped quite a lot. They barely mentioned the threat of the hornets to people. This program was more flash and intimidating narration than anything else.

However, I did learn a few interesting things about hornets and bees:

• While European honey bees imported into Japan have no real defense against the Asian Giant Hornet, and get killed in massive numbers every season, that isn’t so for the Japanese honey bee. Those bees pretend to ignore the AGH scout, then jump her en masse, and “bake” her to death. Yeah, they vibrate and create enough heat to kill her and almost themselves.

• When the AGHs attack and kill hives of imported European honey bees, the Japanese farmers hold a funeral of sorts for the spirits of the dead bees.

• The AGH nests underground, and as Lupillus said, it can sting as many times as it wants with no harm to itself.

• While adult hornets constantly hunt to feed protein to the pupas, no adult hornet eats protein (anything they kill and bring back). Instead, the pupas provide some high-energy liquid to the adults. Just plain weird.

I was trying hard not to think about that. Thanks a bunch!! :stinkyface:[/quote]

Y’all think too much. It’s decompsing lien wu(wax apple).[/quote]
Nope. It’s a tongue, all right. What’s even worse, it was a whole live hiker just 40 minutes before that pic was taken. :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: Be careful out there, chaps!

I also learned that their stinger is a 1/4 inch long. Yowza!

To all my dear hiking comrades, I discovered another source of cheap walking sticks. Take the south west exit of the Guting MRT station and take the first right off Roosevelt. Then go right again, swinging back north. In a block or so you’ll see a camping store on the right. They sell sticks from 399 up. I bought two today. Fine quality.

I also suggets people buy rain ponchos or rain capes as they may more accurately be called. They go for a low 240 or 280 and are large enough to cover you with a full pack on. The front is open cape style (though you can velcro the flaps down to your navel) allowing for the air to circulate. In other words, you won’t get all hot and sweaty as you do with a 7-11 jacket or even a proper gortex. The capes have a stringed hood. For fall temperatures I think they are ideal in rainy weather.

[quote=“lupillus”]

You’re thinking of bees. Wasps do not have barbed stingers, so they will sting you until you go away.[/quote]

I once had a wasp leaving it’s weapon in my skin, still pumping.

[quote=“seeker4”][color=red]NOTICE - Hornet program on tonight[/color]

On the National Geographic Channel at 8pm tonight, there is a program called “About Asia: Hornets from Hell”.
[/quote]

Too bad that I don’t have cable nor do I have TV.

Mod Note:

06 Nov: Jiantan hike split from this thread and indexed.

Enjoy the hike!

Rgds,
Truant

Hi,

It seems to me that this topic requires a little attention, so I

Mod Note:

12 Nov: Daxi hike split from this thread and indexed.

Enjoy the hike!

Rgds,
Truant

Mod Note:

20 Nov: Bali hike split from this thread and indexed.

Enjoy the hike!

Rgds,
Truant

Mod Note:

TBD: Huangdidian hike split from this thread and indexed.

Rgds,
Truant

Hi Everyone!

With most of my best friends in Taiwan frequently reading this thread, I think this is the appropriate place to advise my fellow Forumosans of the latest developments. After long consideration, I have decided to leave Taiwan and return to Europe. This is due to a combination of various factors, some are work-related, some are of a rather personal nature. I am planning to leave in the second half of December.
Hopefully, I will have the chance to see many of you again by then, nonetheless I’d like to say thanks to everyone for helping me have a great time here.

Cheers,

Balazs

PS: Mucha-Man - No, you can’t keep my sleeping bag :slight_smile:

Oh. :astonished: