Taipei Hiking Club Events Chat IV

At the last Happy Hour, there were certain individuals (who shall remain nameless - you know who you are! :slight_smile:) who said they’d like to go on a “hike for wimps” - a short, easy walk followed by a long period of swimming and relaxing. Just something to keep in mind for the next few weeks.

The crags:

The 15 foot deep natural pool:

[/img]

Fantastic pic of seeker4 diving into the pool!

man that looks great, I’d love to come but I am moving this weekend :frowning:

Coooooool. Thanks MM. I’ll try to convince the better half, is this suitable for a non-hiker? She has been out with me many times, but still isn’t too confident in her ability. Don’t know why because she always finishes the route.

I must remember swimmers and a towel!

Link to new hike thread:

[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 680#584680](Limey's Last Hike: Sunday July 23

Hi guys,

I’d very like to go hiking with you again but unfortunately I’ll be leaving for China for 3-4 weeks since this weekend. Hopefully I can join you again once I get back.

Have fun in your hikes!:slight_smile:

Looks like we have a new place to go after hikes in Sanxia. Oh sweet joy!

[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 429#589429](Mamamia's: Great Italian Food in Taipei County

Mucha Man, thanks for recommending the Fairy Footprints trails in the hills over Mucha about a year or two ago (at least I think it was you, it’s been a while). The recommendation has stuck in my head all this time and I finally got around to checking it out this morning.

Due to the intense heat and bright sun lately, we (my wife, daughter and I) got an early start, rising at 6 am, and arriving there about 7. Pretty damn impossible to find parking in the area, so we paid for a parking garage. It was a nice hike. Typical Taiwan hike – stairs up from a road, past the backside of some slummy houses, up, up, up the hill, all on a paved trail with fake bamboo guardrail made out of cement much of the way, passing through a temple and a few plateaus where locals were excercising, dancing the tango, or just sitting talking, up high where a welcome breeze passed through and we had a great view over the trees and large ferns across the sea of highways, apartments, and the 101 tower in the distance. Stopped for lunch on the way down, watched a squirrel, some birds and a lizard, and chatted with an old man.

To be honest, it was nothing spectacular. Fairly similar to the 5 animal mountains but slightly smaller I believe. But very nice for a close, local hike, and just what we needed. Our girl’s just 2.5 yrs and insisted on climbing most of the way by herself (she got lots of "hao bang"s from people we passed), so she’s exhausted and after a shower and lunch she’s now soundly sleeping. And I’m feeling very good. Gotta do this more often. Thanks.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Muzha Man, thanks for recommending the Fairy Footprints trails in the hills over Muzha about a year or two ago (at least I think it was you, it’s been a while). The recommendation has stuck in my head all this time and I finally got around to checking it out this morning.

Due to the intense heat and bright sun lately, we (my wife, daughter and I) got an early start, rising at 6 am, and arriving there about 7. Pretty damn impossible to find parking in the area, so we paid for a parking garage. It was a nice hike. Typical Taiwan hike – stairs up from a road, past the backside of some slummy houses, up, up, up the hill, all on a paved trail with fake bamboo guardrail made out of cement much of the way, passing through a temple and a few plateaus where locals were excercising, dancing the tango, or just sitting talking, up high where a welcome breeze passed through and we had a great view over the trees and large ferns across the sea of highways, apartments, and the 101 tower in the distance. Stopped for lunch on the way down, watched a squirrel, some birds and a lizard, and chatted with an old man.

To be honest, it was nothing spectacular. Fairly similar to the 5 animal mountains but slightly smaller I believe. But very nice for a close, local hike, and just what we needed. Our girl’s just 2.5 yrs and insisted on climbing most of the way by herself (she got lots of "hao bang"s from people we passed), so she’s exhausted and after a shower and lunch she’s now soundly sleeping. And I’m feeling very good. Gotta do this more often. Thanks.[/quote]

Yes, that was me who recommended it. Glad you finally got out. Next time I would suggest you take the MRT and maybe a taxi since you have a little one.

How far up did you go? There’s a whole network of hard, natural paths when you start going down the other side. Also, as you go up the concrete path you should take the first right. It takes you onto a new wooden boardwalk that runs up the spine (also lots of nice natural paths running off this). Much nicer than following the fake bamboo up to the temple. Also, this path is where you see the fairy footprint rock and an open rocky area at the top (near a flag) which has great views over the city. In fact, a big reason I like this place is because I can go up when its dark (it’s lit up) and sit on these rocks overlooking the city.

No, nothing spectacular, but a very pleasant place right in the city and somewhere you can go on a whim, or for me, on the way home from work.

Glad your little one enjoyed it.

Hey guys, I have extra-special permission to go hiking this weekend (Saturday OR Sunday). I’ve also got a friend visiting from Norn Iron and it would be really great if I could show him how nice the hikes are.

So… any hikes on this weekend?

Muchaman was contemplating a river-tracing hike this weekend. Should be more details later. Cheap pairs of river tracing shoes can be obtained at MetrOasis.

You haven’t joined our hikes in a long time, Iris Hsu! :slight_smile:

Double post - mods please remove

[quote=“irishstu”]Hey guys, I have extra-special permission to go hiking this weekend (Saturday OR Sunday). I’ve also got a friend visiting from Norn Iron and it would be really great if I could show him how nice the hikes are.

So… any hikes on this weekend?[/quote]

I’m sorry, you are…?

Yeah, we are planning something for Sunday. Not sure where we’ll go though. I’ll post something tomorrow.

Maybe we’ll do a river trace.

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“irishstu”]Hey guys, I have extra-special permission to go hiking this weekend (Saturday OR Sunday). I’ve also got a friend visiting from Norn Iron and it would be really great if I could show him how nice the hikes are.

So… any hikes on this weekend?[/quote]

I’m sorry, you are…?

Yeah, we are planning something for Sunday. Not sure where we’ll go though. I’ll post something tomorrow.

Maybe we’ll do a river trace.[/quote]

Hehe. I used to go hiking with the hiking club. I think it was a few years ago now. Back in the days when Balazs was here, oh… and Limey.

There was this old leader at the time. Don’t know if he’s still around… :smiling_imp:

Yes, that was me who recommended it. Glad you finally got out. Next time I would suggest you take the MRT and maybe a taxi since you have a little one.

How far up did you go? There’s a whole network of hard, natural paths when you start going down the other side. [/quote]

We didn’t go down the other side. Stopped at the top and returned on a different route back in the same direction that we came. I guess next time we’ll go down to the other side.

Yea, that was the way we came back. Very nice.

New hike:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 627#591627

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to go on a hike this weekend. We’ll be celebrating Father’s day with the whole family on Sunday, and Saturday is out as well.

Have fun guys (and you too Iris). River tracing is always loads of fun, so I’m sure it’ll be a blast.

[quote=“scomargo”]Unfortunately, I won’t be able to go on a hike this weekend. We’ll be celebrating Father’s day with the whole family on Sunday, and Saturday is out as well.

Have fun guys (and you too Iris). River tracing is always loads of fun, so I’m sure it’ll be a blast.[/quote]

Damn, bad timing. Hope to see you next time I do a hike (probably in about 3 months… oh wait, that’s when my next child is due. So maybe 6 months, lol)

Guys, just a short one to let you know I am stepping aside from doing moderating soon, when the Admin sort out who is going to take over.

I just want to say that the Events forum has been the highlight of my time moderating, and that is largely due to such a positive bunch of regulars such as yourselves in the hiking group.

I will still be around as a poster, so I have no excuses and I should come hiking and meet you all soon.

Truant