Taipei Hiking Club Events Chat IV

Sounds good to me. I just don’t know if we should call this a hiking club event or not when starting the new thread. I don’t want to exclude others.

I’m even thinking about shaving my head to form a sideways mohawk (left to right across the head) connecting with my beard (which I will let grow) to make a loop of hair around my otherwise shaven head. I figure the mohawk could help raise some money if people pay me to see me make an ass out of myself. I could even end up on the local news. :noway:

I like the idea! I’d love to do that!

Can I be the pace-setter for our team? :slight_smile:

No. :cop:

You must have a well-hidden alter ego.

Also, no one is ever excluded from our hiking events. Shouldn’t be a problem.

New thread on the Taipei 101 stair climb:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 848#527848

Thanks for the feedback guys. It looks like it’ll be a lot of fun, and hopefully the manditory donations won’t put too many people off.

On the topic of charities, Animals Taiwan is holding another quiz night Sunday April 30th. Proceeds go to the organization. How about we get a Hiking Club team together?

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=47643

The Trivia night thing sounds ok, unless they hold it in Nantou or some other out of the way place :wink:

“Good Buy” Alert

Costco (in Neihu at least) is selling some pretty good camping and recreation gear now.

One of the best items is a hydration system by Camelbak.

They have the Camelbak M.U.L.E. (3 liter) for roughly $2,600 NT (Edit: Actually $2,419.) Same as U.S. retail price (no local mark-up). They have a few colors. Even has a small “dry” pocket. Nice bag.

Just for reference, you can take a look at the product on the REI website here

I used to hike a lot. I thinking of doing it again.

[quote=“seeker4”]“Good Buy” Alert

Costco (in Neihu at least) is selling some pretty good camping and recreation gear now.

They have the Camelbak M.U.L.E. (3 liter) for roughly $2,600 NT. Same as U.S. retail price (no local mark-up). They have a few colors. Even has a small “dry” pocket. Nice bag.

Just for reference, you can take a look at the product on the REI website here[/quote]

I like the look of that! I want to get one of those.

[quote=“seeker4”]“Good Buy” Alert

They have the Camelbak M.U.L.E. (3 liter) for roughly $2,600 NT. Same as U.S. retail price (no local mark-up). They have a few colors. Even has a small “dry” pocket. Nice bag.

Just for reference, you can take a look at the product on the REI website here[/quote]

The one I am carrying around is the M.U.L.E. Very nice pack, enough room for some food, camera, binoculars, wallet, cellphone and a few other things, + plenty of water. As a tip for Taiwan, make sure you can get the pipe brushes to clean the hose, it gets moldy very quickly in Taiwan.

Found my receipt. The Camelbak price is actually NT $2,419. A bit cheaper than U.S. retail price.

Ratlung: Where did you find small pipe brushes here?

[quote=“seeker4”]Found my receipt. The Camelbak price is actually NT $2,419. A bit cheaper than U.S. retail price.

Ratlung: Where did you find small pipe brushes here?[/quote]

They are available from Camelbak itself. They should sell them where you get the Camelbak. Just thought it would be something to look out for when you see it. I got mine from the US I think. I will ask the brain.

So, are we taking a weather-induced break from hiking this weekend? Probably wise if it stays like this.

I’ve been thinking of some alternate activity for the weekend. First I thought of joining that CAPT Paintball event on Saturday. But, same problem with the weather. Plus, 5pm today (Friday) is their already extended payment deadline.

Now I’m thinking of museums, concert halls, or eating and drinking at Carnegie’s for hours, etc.

Comments?

I’d like to go on a day hike later.

[color=orange]This is my 1000th post![/color]

[color=yellow]I’m a sidewalk geomancer![/color]

Sorry, haven’t been paying careful attention to your whereabouts. Last I noticed, you bid everyone farewell and moved back to South Africa (or maybe I have you mixed up with someone else?). So, can I assume you’re back in Taiwan now and want to go dayhiking here?

Congrats on 1,000 posts.

Camelbaks are ok but a bit behind the curve on product design and feautures. the y were market leaders for so long they rested on their laurels

deuter (atunas) hydro packs rock as do systems from dakine - all available in taiwan. camelbaks are often overpriced.

Some of those Dakine bags are giving me a bit of a stiffy. Where in Taiwan do you get them?
I hate my Camelbak – the weird strap configuration cuts into the back of my neck and the bladders suck hairy donkey balls in my experience. They leak around the filler cap and at the bit where the tube joins the bladder after no time at all.

Interesting. The Camelbak that I have in storage back home seemed fine, but I had not used it that much before packing it. I got this new Camelbak specifically because I’ve purchased some local products here in the last year and they weren’t good at all (lots of leaks). I hope this new one is as good as I remember.

Sorry, haven’t been paying careful attention to your whereabouts. Last I noticed, you bid everyone farewell and moved back to South Africa (or maybe I have you mixed up with someone else?). So, can I assume you’re back in Taiwan now and want to go dayhiking here?

Congrats on 1,000 posts.[/quote]

Yes, I’ve been back in Taiwan for a couple of months. I’d like o do any day hike. I won’t be able to carry heavy bags though.

hiking tomorrow morning. neihu hills. meeting at z.junior high school mrt at 9am. about 3 hrs.