Taipei Hiking Club Events Chat V

[quote=“somimi”]I was thinking of getting a hiking group together for Shi-Da students, but not sure how quite to go about it. I guess I’ll start with posting something on the bulletin boards at the Mandarin center.

Anyone here at Shi-Da and interested?[/quote]
Woof. I’ve peed on the campus before - does that qualify me? Woof. :scooby:

Cute dogs are a mandatory part of all hikes from now on.

[edit]: can all of you guys that expressed interest pm me an email address so I can put together a list? I’m getting interest from a couple different locales now, so it would be nice to compile them all in one contact list. Or email me: my handle on gmail is: ielainos

Yay hiking! I’m thinking one of the 4 beasts trails next week. 4 day weekend should offer lots of time to explore! Tuesday? Anyone?

Everyone is welcome to join me next Saturday (June 23) for an easy but hugely enjoyable river-trace up the Jiajiuliao Stream (加九寮溪).

Rendezvous time will be a bright and early 7:30 at Xindian MRT station. We’ll probably take the bus from there (just a 15~20 minute ride) for simplicity’s sake.

No special equipment will be needed - just a pair of cheap fishermen’s non-slip shoes (not expensive rubbish from Timberland etc. , but the cheapest made-in-Taiwan NT$250~300 防滑鞋, which are by far the best for the purpose).

After we reach Fairy Pool (仙女潭), we’ll continue along the right branch of the stream to another good swimming and semi-waterfally spot where no Hiking Club activity has ventured before, so we’ll be breaking new ground as well as re-visiting some old favourites like this slide along the way: youtube.com/watch?v=SmQDSxSuC7A

If torrential rain in the next week makes the river untraceable, we’ll postpone the event to the following Saturday.

Please post here or PM me if you want to be in on this - and eat your heart out if you can’t make it.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]Everyone is welcome to join me next Saturday (June 23) for an easy but hugely enjoyable river-trace up the Jiajiuliao Stream (加九寮溪).

Rendezvous time will be a bright and early 7:30 at Xindian MRT station. We’ll probably take the bus from there (just a 15~20 minute ride) for simplicity’s sake.

No special equipment will be needed - just a pair of cheap fishermen’s non-slip shoes (not expensive rubbish from Timberland etc. , but the cheapest made-in-Taiwan NT$250~300 防滑鞋, which are by far the best for the purpose).

After we reach Fairy Pool (仙女潭), we’ll continue along the right branch of the stream to another good swimming and semi-waterfally spot where no Hiking Club activity has ventured before, so we’ll be breaking new ground as well as re-visiting some old favourites like this slide along the way:[/quote]

Woohoo!

I’m definitely game for this hike!!

I am in. :slight_smile:

I will go with the proper outfit for hiking. (No Timberland, no white clothes)

I’ve started a new thread for this Saturday’s hike:
[River Trace & Hike on June 23: Revisiting 仙女潭 and on

I’m keeping an eye on the state of the water in the Jiajiuliao Stream. The heavy afternoon downpours of the last few days have raised water levels in Wulai’s streams quite a lot. Tonghou Stream was markedly higher today than yesterday - the pool where I swam early yesterday morning was unswimmable today. If the heavy rains continue, the outlook could be a bit dicey. But if we don’t get too much rain, there’s a good chance that the water level will have subsided to an ideal level by Saturday.

See here for an activity on Saturday July 28th:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 545#756545

I read a post about Hiking and Beer, it sounds a good idea. :slight_smile:
But how can hikers keep their beers cold when go hiking? Did any experienced hiker do this before?

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]See here for an activity on Saturday July 28th:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 545#756545[/quote]

Are we going back in time?

A fine old Scotch, MM?

Well. now, there are no signs of any typhoon heading towards us, and summer is slipping away, so we must have a hike this weekend.

MM, do you have anything in mind?

If you don’t have any other ideas, I’ll set up a jaunt out Pinglin way.

Daxi River? It would be perfect, I think!

Daxi River!!!

If there is no rain in the following days, we can go river tracing again. Wulai, Pinling or Daxi are all good.

And how about man yue yuan in Sanxia?

[quote=“Chris”]Daxi River? It would be perfect, I think!

Daxi River!!![/quote]

We need a report from Trail Hacker about the state of the water. After all the rain they had in Ilan, I imagine it must be pretty high.

The Tonghou Stream, with a large part of its catchment area in Ilan, is still very high, whereas the Jiajiuliao Steam is already down to a swimmable and traceable level.

Trail Hacker?

Actually it’s the southern part of Yilan got most of the rainfall. The water level of Dasi river is good for river-tracing now! It’s perfect time to come here!

I third daxi. But isn’t it supposed to rain this weekend? At least have showers? I suppose if TH cleared the trail beside the Daxi River we should be okay.

Excellent! I reckon we should take advantage of it while we can.

It seems to be raining almost every afternoon this summer. But with an early enough start, keeping a wary eye on the sky, and taking appropriate precautions, we shouldn’t have much to worry about.

So fix and announce it now? For Saturday? Mr. Hike Leader?

Yes, noble second, let’s confirm. Saturday, August whatever it is, meet at Muzha MRT at 8am. We will take the tunnel to daxi as traffic is light these days.

Kate if you are going please brign a lifejacket as we will be on the river the whole time and if it rains and swells there is nowhere to go uness TH has cleared a path.

Yes Sir! Lifejacket!

[quote=“kate.lin”]I read a post about Hiking and Beer, it sounds a good idea. :slight_smile:
But how can hikers keep their beers cold when go hiking? Did any experienced hiker do this before?[/quote]
A 7-11 bag, a China Times, a couple of bags of ice and a cold sixpack. Line the bag with the paper, stick in the beer, pack with the ice and tie the bag. Carry with you or stick it under a bush. It’ll stay cool all day like that.

Thanks sandman.

To MM:

Er…Will I have to flot in the water all the time? :slight_smile:
I am thinking if it’s a little bit advanced to me.