Taipei House value most exposed in the world to natural disasters.

Just sharing this interesting article on Taiwan daily news. I tend to agree, just another reason why Taipei’s housing prices are inflated especially with old crumbling, rusty, mouldy buildings above a 7-11 worth a couple million

Sorry the original content was working free this morning but now its blocked. I found a way to read it through Google Search.

Just copy and paste this line from the article then click on the link that shows up on the search from FT website. I’ve copied the part that pertains to Taipei but it compares many of the worlds major cities and ranks Taipei as the most vulnerable major city in the world to losing real estate value through natural disasters.

"Taipei — which Savills estimates to have a collective housing wealth of about $200bn — is vulnerable to wind storms, earthquakes and flooding. According to Lloyd’s City Risk Index, 34 per cent of Taipei’s projected annual GDP is at risk, making it the world’s most exposed city. “What’s most intriguing,” says Yolande Barnes, head of Savills World Research, “is that the really big cities continue to grow and thrive in risky places, and that’s because their economic advantages outweigh the risks.”

That’s subscriber only content. Maybe cut and paste a relevant paragraph.

Yeah, yeah, maybe they are very “exposed” and whatever you want, but few countries have more expensive houses than Taiwan.

Yea I think the website just blocked it, im not a subscriber it let me read it at first but now its blocked. I went onto google and just pasted a few lines and that opened up the article…

"Taipei — which Savills estimates to have a collective housing wealth of about $200bn — is vulnerable to wind storms, earthquakes and flooding. According to Lloyd’s City Risk Index, 34 per cent of Taipei’s projected annual GDP is at risk, making it the world’s most exposed city. “What’s most intriguing,” says Yolande Barnes, head of Savills World Research, “is that the really big cities continue to grow and thrive in risky places, and that’s because their economic advantages outweigh the risks.”

https://www.lloyds.com/cityriskindex/locations/city/taipei

I know, the point being just another reason why Taiwan housing is in a bubble.

Well, I was pointing out some paradox with a silly joke, but… yeah, that’s the thing. Precarious everything in Taiwan…

1 Like

How fragile we are…

1 Like