Taipei is not friendly

Usually, Taiwanese are a friendly group to me. However, last Friday, I was waiting for the bus on a crowded sidewalk. Some guy bumps into me, and his earphones cord catches on my computer bag and he drops his fancy smartphone on the ground. Then, he gives me the stink eye for about 3 seconds. Keep in mind, I have not moved from my spot. He bumped into me. During the stink eye moment, I was thinking how I really hate how people cannot even walk without looking at their phone. Even worse, this guy was in a rush and doing the walking and phone playing. Like zombies and it’s happening in every country.

1 Like

Definitely not Taiwan exclusive, but I bet it’s more likely to happen here than some other places.

Cheap unlimited data plans = unlimited amount of zombies on the sidewalks.

1 Like

If you’re not looking where you’re walking, you deserve everything you get. Zero sympathy from me (and maybe even a hard shoulder).

1 Like

My personal favorite Chinese phrase is locked in for such situations. 莫名其妙!

3 Likes

This always happens they bump, they push me and give me stink eye.
But as I 've said there are good Taiwan people and some bad manners people.

I still haven’t decoded the thought process behind a group of locals walking abreast completely across a sidewalk leaving no room for oncoming foot track.

Pow!

Ensuing stink eye and outraged quacking behind me as I continue on my could give a fuck/can’t fly and I’m not about to flatten myself against the wall for a bunch of little emperors and empresses way.

I’ve found myself using this phrase a lot lately!

I alternate that one with 不長眼睛啊?

1 Like

I like to start things off by barking “an-noah!” but I only ever said it once lol

Is this a legit slang/remark?

Stop dead and they’ll move around you. If you’re moving, you’re expected to “bend,” even if they are walking 3 abreast. They’ll give way if you’re stopped.

That’s what I would do, but I make sure I am on the right side of the traffic (right hand side as per roads, unless otherwise signed) before I consciously run into them and stare at them back.

Yes.

Will add to my daily vocab, mucho appreciated.

We live in our bubble!

I find the stream of Taiwanese obscenities that ensues difficult to understand. :sunglasses:

1 Like

That’s a plus. Zen

I get urges to do this

https://youtu.be/rPGLUqFWS44

I was walking with two heavy bags of groceries once, one in each hand, as far to the right as I could get on a wide walkway, and two xiaojies came walking straight towards me apparently expecting me to do something such as bend or leap or who knows what.

Bam! Right into the bag of groceries in my left hand. Whimpering. Stink eye. Yammering angrily for several paces past me while I walked on wondering what it was exactly that they had expected me to do.

I’ve had quite a number of similar scenarios over time. Particularly frustrating is people going in and out of shops who cut right in front of you as you walk straight along the sidewalk.