Taipei joining the ranks of the clean?

Is it me, or is Taipei becoming a lot cleaner?
I can’t even rememeber the last time I saw a cockroach.
Been in my studio for over a year and haven’t seen any. Not even a straggler.
When i first came to Taiwan, they were everywhere… outside, in the school, the random one under the sink by the trash can.

what’s going on?

It’s still cold out and they’re much less active right now. Give it a month or two. They’ll be back… :sick:

It’s true. You don’t see many cockroaches this time of year. You can even leave an unwashed plate in the sink overnight. Try that in summer.

Roaches don’t need your dirty plate, they even might not like your food, what they are after is water, if your kitchen counter or sink holds some waterdrops, overnite the roaches will be there to drink…

… and remember if you don’t see them it doesn’t mean they are not there. Only when you see them during the day then you’re having a problem.

The biggest problem worldwide are the German roaches … by this I don’t mean Germans. :wink:

What roaches need is a moist, warm place. They reside preferably inside your electrical kitchen appliances.

We went back to Taiwan over xmas and I agree - Taipei is looking cleaner, hell even Taoyuan looked cleaner than I remember it… could just be polluted grey coloured glasses

Roaches?

Get a cat.

Problem solved.

[quote=“bushibanned”]Is it me, or is Taipei becoming a lot cleaner?

what’s going on?[/quote]

Maybe it has become too polluted for cockroaches even :stuck_out_tongue:

YingFan

Taiwanese people continue to leave piles of trash on park benches and tables every night -even when there’s a garbage can a few meters away. They leave EVERYTHING there -lunchboxes, bags of McDonald’s and MOS Burger, entire disposable BBQ kits, instant noodle packs…anything. Stereotype for Taiwanese: litterbugs. Riding thru the Keelung River Park recently, I watched as a lawnmower truck spewed shredded trash out its chute like confetti. This went on for over an hour. I think cars were even slowing down on the expressway overhed to get a look. Taipei getting cleaner? I don’t see it.

Should have seen Taoyuan in the mid-80’s…Yeah, it’s a lot cleaner than before as is Taipei.

The scary part is that I’m seeing more pollution on the east coast and in the mountains than ever before. While spotting Mark Western last summer, another forumosan and myself were sitting on a wooden pagoda overlooking the ocean just south of Tawu…On the bench were 2 used diapers, at least 10 stained bing-lang plastic cups, and garbage/broken glass all over the ground with 2 garbage cans sitting less than six feet away :fume:

We cleaned the mess up in less than two minutes then continued to watch Mark in the distance with the sun setting over the Pacific… :sunglasses:

I still think Taiwan is a filthy pigsty … although I must admit it is better than where I’ve been in China.

As for the cockroaches, cats certainly are the best solution. There’s only one cockroach in my house that the cats can’t seem to catch … I’ve named him Charlie (although I haven’t seen him in a few days, so maybe they got him …)

Quite a generalistation… obviously you dont get out enough. :laughing:

Maybe there is still hope. Maybe Taiwanese youth is teachable…

English teachers to students:

Word of the Day: litterbug

As in: Many Taiwanese are “litterbugs.” (And the description is not a “stereotype.” OK, you can add a second word to be learned.)

I was in Danshui on the weekend and the place was spotless. I mean spotless. The whole riverside walk area with all the shops and stalls and vendors was so clean I had to keep commenting on it. There were at least 10 street cleaners out literally scurrying about from cig butt to butt sweeping up messes before you could even notice them. They were doing their job with more conviction than I have ever seen.

The only garbage was on a little sand bar about 50 feet offshore. Would be nice if they cleaned that up too.

All in all I was quite impressed with Danshui. The stalls and shops are arranged all on the right so you can walk by and get the breeze off the river without getting the smells from the stalls. Also, they seemed to have arranged the businessed well, so you had the noisier shops near the start and the quieter ones further down. Many simple coffee shops with great views across the river. I thought I was back in Vancouver on the Seawall at times.

Taipei is much cleaner than before and some things like the MRT are much cleaner than comparable systems back home.

Danshui is not at all typical of Taiwan; it is some pet project of the Taipei government, and, considering how many MILLIONS and MILLIONS they spent to upgrade and repair that once dilapidated craphole (though I agree that it is now quite attractive) -it shoudl come as no wonder they pay some people to tidy it up. Venture off the promenade and you’ll find overflowing trashbuckets and trash everywhere.

I ventured far off the promenade and found no trash. In fact I found a little old japanese era house that had recently been opened to the public. It seems that the danshui gov is trying to restore these old structures. More progress to laud.

As for the notion that danshui is not typical that’s nonsense. There are many places that have had millions poured in and still end up lookign like shitholes after a year. The place seems to be fairly well managed. Give them credit. I hope the lessons will spread to other areas. Soon people will come to expect a cleaner environment.

Progress is happening. Don’t pooh pooh it all.

By the way, walked from Hongshulin to Danshui that day. Clean all the way. The mangroves where fantastic.

[quote=“Mucha (Muzha) Man”]…The place seems to be fairly well managed. Give them credit. I hope the lessons will spread to other areas. Soon people will come to expect a cleaner environment.

Progress is happening. Don’t pooh pooh it all…[/quote]

There ARE people who expect a clean environment but these same people do NOT clean up after themselves. They seem to think that someone else (e.g. the government) should do the job. Many complain yet few take actions.

Common mind set: “I” have no responsibility for a dirty public place. It doesn’t do “me” any good to be thoughtful of other visitors. The environmental issues aren’t “my” concern. “I” care more about “my” own convenience and comfort…

You guys.

You have it good, okay?

I live… on the big angry country next to the tiny island that speak the same language.

…cries…

You guys have it good. Appreciate it.

[quote=“bushibanned”]Is it me, or is Taipei becoming a lot cleaner?
Been in my studio for over a year and haven’t seen any. Not even a straggler.
When I first came to Taiwan, they were everywhere… outside, in the school, the random one under the sink by the trash can.

what’s going on?[/quote]

Rumor has it that Taiwan had gotten so dirty, the roaches actually moved to Calcutta.

Or the filipinnes. A much closer swim, imho.

Mucha Man,

I agree with you, and one shouldn’t talk crap about it all. The last few times I went up to Danshui and Bali, I was impressed. However, I live in Minsheng E. Rd, Section 5, which is, actually, a fantastic neighborhood. Actually, it’s one of the 3 or 4 places in this big city that actually feel like a ‘real neighborhood’. But, venture into the Keelung River Park, one entrance which is at the intersection of Tayou and Minsheng, sec. 5, and things change REAL quick. It is the filthiest, most putrid park I have ever beheld. I need to start holding my tongue to litterbugs, or there will surely be brawls soon, especially in the section that runs alongside Nangang -that’s simply a cesspool. Sadly, this could be a fantastic park. I can imagine kayaking, swimming, fishing, all that good stuff, but unfortunately, this has been turned into a liquid landfill. If I can motivate myself to learn to do it, I can post some photographs on here to back it up. I’m obsessed with the Keelung River Park -it’s all I think about.