Taipei - Keelung River - world's dirtiest?

Oh snap, I didn’t see that. Sorry. I do have a family member that lived in Taiwan in the 70s and they warned me about how dirty it is before I moved here. Stuff must’ve been really bad back in the day.

2 Likes

He didn’t say downtown Keelung. He is wrong, wrong, worng!!! :no_no:

Double wrong! I’ve been to the sauce of the Keelung. :laughing:

It goes through Badu. Keelung district?

Ganga:

8du District, Keelung City

“A recent visit, I saw KeeLung harbour looks better but much of city does not look well (or maybe I missed the nice areas)”…the guy is talking about downtown Keelung. Badu is definitely not downtown Keelung. And it’s a real shithole.

Badu is kind of shitty too…

Why does it start at Badu? Looking at the map it seems to wind many more km’s into the mountains

It’s still called Keelung river in JingTong

Looks to be PingXi district, no?

Who says it starts at Badu?

Otherwise what does Badu have to do with anything?

oooohh, he’s been to the source, gotcha, it goes thought Badu, not Badu is the source and yeah Badu is pretty much a shithole, ChiDu has decent morning market though.

It’s all the same shit sauce…

The river is actually pretty and rather unpolluted (if you don’t count the Pingxi paper lanterns in non-Covid times) before it reaches Ruifang.

2 Likes

It’s a very twisty turny river actually. I didn’t realize it got that close to Keelung because the source is way up near Jingtong.

2 Likes

When I was little I had one of those children’s encyclopedia (小百科) that said how dirty Keelung river was. But now if you go to those riverside parks it doesn’t seem so bad, so they must have cleaned it up.

But I saw on the news about the Tokyo Olympic triathlon where people were puking because the water they swam in was literally smelling like shit.

Holy crap, you’re right! It cuts it in half practically!

I could have meant that, yes

1 Like

It’s still pretty yuck. But it’s tidal all the way to Xizhi so it varies quite a lot.

Anyone been to the flood diversion tunnel they built near Ruifang? It’s saved the downstream areas like Qidu, Xizhi and Dazhi from many a potential flood. It must be quite a sight to behold when they open up the gates.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Yuanshanzi_Flood_Diversion?uselang=zh-tw

2 Likes

The sewer that runs through the center of Keelung and dumps it’s putrid mess in the harbour is disgusting. What a stink. What is that called ?
The administration that runs that place should be carted off to a mine…

1 Like

Looks interesting.

Seeing the photo on that wiki side I thought for a moment you meant the Xishi Reservoir (西勢水庫), another interesting place not many people know about.

3 Likes

Bottom photos with tyres on the side of the river, to me does not make it feel cleaner.

That’s not tires. They are concrete retaining blocks. To stop erosion.

1 Like