Taipei kindergarten teacher posts job ad saying 'black or dark skinned' people not wanted

It’s all good… people will see what they want to see. The pictures show that we don’t have a faculty that is composed of only caucasian staff; we have teachers from diverse backgrounds. I again ask for those who want to call out our lack of diversity to show evidence of their workplaces.

According to this article, America is terribly racist towards blacks as well!

Target apologizes for ‘baby daddy’ Father’s Day card

Could someone please explain to this old fart why this is racist? I don’t get it. Baby daddy has negative racial connotations for blacks?

Why?

Oh, you were serious.

My academic faculty comprises a Moroccan (black), two Americans (one white, one black), Canadian (white), ane two Taiwanese. Plus me (Limey).

The term “baby daddy” conjures images of deadbeat dads and children born out of wedlock, which are touchy subjects in the African-American community. That said, “baby daddy” is commonly heard on the lips of African-Americans.

1 Like

WM, as you work at KC, do you have any background on the reason for the “Personal note” in that ad?

No idea. I work at a different campus, so I don’t know the OP. All I can share is my experience working with talented people who would perhaps find it difficult to find work in some places in Taiwan; people are hired based on their qualifications and experience. We are WASC accredited and IB authorised. You don’t just get these by paying money; every part of your school and program of studies is scrutinised. However, as many people are just referring to “Kang Chiao”, I feel it only fair to point out discrepancies in reporting.

Although, many people have made up their mind based on something posted on Facebook (so it must be true) and will believe what they want to believe.

Yeah, I kind of think that in future we should ignore threads started by Taiwan News. Their content comes from sensationalist Facebook groups/posts and is unverified. This is a case in point. A girl added a note to a job ad and it caused outrage in the foreign community. The girl in question is still yet to clarify who told her the school doesn’t hire people of color. Methinks everyone got their knickers in a twist for no reason.

1 Like

Agreed. Taiwan News sometimes has items of interest, but a lot of their stories are sourced by quoting “netizens” who have posted on YouTube and Facebook / PTT posts.

I was serious. Thanks for replying :slight_smile: I’m glad to see that there are other institutions in Taiwan with diverse backgrounds.

My 2 c, FWIW, this is my perspective:

“Taiwan is homogeneous”: It is not, simply look at the “aboriginal” elephant in the room, although most people carry on like it is. Hence the problems cropping up.

“Taiwanese people are friendly”: usually, until you understand what they really say about foreigners and experience the never-ending and uninvited micro-agressions. They can be polite. They can smile, a smile can hide evil intent.

“Taiwanese are not racist, they are simply ignorant”: yeah, right. Contrary to what many people say here, many Taiwanese people know of the existence of people with different skin tones to themselves…hence the preference for white-skinned Vietnamese brides and all things “white” etc. Since when do we classify racism on the basis of knowledge? Refer to the definition below. Note that the label is applicable if any one of the definitions apply, not all of them:

“The school is multi-cultural/ethnic”: the post was for an English subbing position. From what I have seen, the school is not homogeneous, esp for PE, Math, Science, and has a “black” person in the social studies area. However, not being homogeneous does not equate to non-racist. Which raises the possibility that it is either the school or departmental head’s policy to exclude certain “races” from the staff. Either way, as far as diversity goes, it does not look great through my eyes.

“It was not the school, its the teacher”: an agency relationship implies the agent is empowered to act on behalf of the proprietor. If we assume, the teacher lied in stipulating the ethnicity, can we safely assume the whole advert was not true? How do we decide which parts of the advert are true and which parts are lies? “All Cretans are liars”, said the Cretan.

“Parents are the racists”: A friend of mine, a teacher recruiter for some school was once confronted by a parent with “why is a black person teaching my child?” She responded politely with words to the effect “Are you asking for your child to be taught to be ‘white’ or to speak English? That teacher is the best of the lot!”. Parent was placated.

“Other countries are more (blatantly) racist than Taiwan”: Oh, so there is a scale, ranging from “acceptable” to “unacceptable”, where manners matter? Please educate us, might help us educate our students better.

For the record, I am not black. People approach and say “hei ren”, my response is “bu4 hei ren, shi4ren!”.

1 Like

I should also point out that the OP was posting for a sub on a sub teacher facebook page… the post itself wasn’t an ad on behalf of the school looking for a teacher.

“Non-black people are people!” What the…

2 Likes

oops, my bad. meant to say “wo bu shi hei ren”.

Least PC typo ever?

Almost Trumpian in epicness.

Toupee, here I come! :slight_smile:

No worries. You’re kidding yourself about WASC, though. IB status is definitely genuine.

For the last time…that is not “the school”. The girl worked for a kindergarten branch within the KC system.

You’re doubting our WASC accreditation? Here’s a link to their directory of schools. Feel free to search it. I’ve also taken a screenshot for your reference. These facts are easily verified.

I’m not doubting it. Just every international school gets it.

As I said, IB is to be respected.