Taipei movie theaters - chat thread

Personally, I loathe Warner Village. The seats are the most uncomfortable of any modern theater here, the theaters are small, and it’s always jam-packed. I suppose its attraction extends to other things like the food and parking.Give me Breeze or a good old fashioned dingy dungeon any day.

Ambassador… the “real” one in ximending

and it’s always jam-packed.[/quote]It is, That’s my main complaint, and they make you queue for ages (as does Cinemark), and most times there’s some “event” blaring noise at me, yet another place that thinks that headaches and physical pain are a good way to attract customers.
And then buy your drink, which you only discover after the film has started that is undrinkable because the machine has run out of fizz or something. Then when you complain after the film as finished, they offer you a replacement not a refund :fume:

I’m a bit distrusting of the Ximending theaters. I went to see LOR there once, and after 5 minutes we realized they had no surround sound. Still after some hobbit sized hopping and dwarfish axe wielding, the terrified manager returned our money.

It is, that’s my main complaint, and they make you queue for ages (as does Cinemark)…[/quote]
If you buy a VIP value-stored card at Cinemark for 3k, they only charge you 250 per ticket when you buy them (normally 290-300), you get to queue in the VIP “express” line, and you get free car parking in their indoor garage. Indoor motorcycle parking is always free. There’s also a Wellcome Supermarket in the basement, where you can buy cold drinks, candy. ice-cream whatever for cheap prices, and then you smuggle them in in a handbag or something like that. :wink:

[quote=“Maoman”]If you buy a VIP value-stored card at Cinemark for 3k, they only charge you 250 per ticket when you buy them (normally 290-300), you get to queue in the VIP “express” line, [/quote]You mean the VIP counter that isn’t open and sells non-VIP tickets to anyone ? I saw someone there once who was upset that he had been sold non-VIP tickets despite wanting VIP tickets, and being in the right queue for them, and they were argueing back :unamused:
I didn’t have a VIP card, my credit card gave me the same discount for free :sunglasses:

You mean the VIP counter that isn’t open and sells non-VIP tickets to anyone ? I saw someone there once who was upset that he had been sold non-VIP tickets despite wanting VIP tickets, and being in the right queue for them, and they were argueing back :unamused:
I didn’t have a VIP card, my credit card gave me the same discount for free :sunglasses:[/quote]
No, sorry, I should have been more specific. Cinemark also has VIP theatres (seats are a little more deluxe (but only a little)) and this doesn’t have anything to do with the stored value card. You can buy regular movie tickets or VIP theatre tickets with the stored value card - you just tell them what you want.

Yep, those are the ones I mean, the VIP screens with the reclining seats. Always go to the nice seats, I wouldn’t go all the way out to the estrogen mall to watch something with the plebs.
I could get into the fancy seats at the cheap price

God, I hate Warner Village with a passion! Almost any picture house is better than that place.
I like the Breeze theater, and even the Living Death Mall one is simply in another league from Warner.

Venice Theaters in Zhongli are nice too. I like them. Moreover, the country bumbkins down there have not yet discovered that you can book tickets over the phone. The day LOTR 3 came out, I called in, got 2 tickets in the center of the cinema for the 8 pm show, and ended up queing up for 20 minutes in order to get them, as everbody and his brother were trying to get hold of the shittier seats. :smiling_imp:

But the cinema is new, clean and it has a good sound system. Moreover, normally the theater is not all that full. :smiley:

I vowed never to return to Warner Village after my last experience. Terrible attitudes among the staff, waiting in long lines, mediocre quality seats and concessions. I go to Breeze or the Living Hell Mall, or just wait for it to come out on DVD.

Breeze has a deal where you pay NT1000 and they give you a discount card. You can use it to book your seats online in advance and collect them from the special counter on the 7th floor.

Absolutely correct! The best in town for seating space, size, picture quality and sound (not to mention service).

How many nicknames for Jinghuachen?
Estrogen mall
Living hell mall
The Death Star
Living Death
what else?

But the Cinemark VIP is the most comfortable in Taipei, I think.
And the sound is great.

[quote=“Alien”]But the Cinemark VIP is the most comfortable in Taipei, I think.
And the sound is great.[/quote]

Is it even better than SPOT? If so, it must definitely be worth a visit!

You can’t see blockbusters at SPOT.
The VIP seats have this table thing attached. They’re low, and plush, and they rock. You can curl up on them and get cozy. :smiley:

[quote=“Alien”]You can’t see blockbusters at SPOT.
The VIP seats have this table thing attached. They’re low, and plush, and they rock.[/quote]That’s no good, your drink will fall off.

My place is the most comfy, The speakers are in the perfect place(even if not so loud),I can bring my own sweets, and I can slap any one who talks.

[quote=“Closet Queen”]
I’m a bit distrusting of the Ximending theaters. [/quote]
I’ve gone to see movies in Ximending enough times to know which are the good ones and which are the ones to avoid. The Ambassador is, without question, the king. They just don’t build movie theaters like that anymore. But the huge screen and surround sound can be a bit overwhelming, so I usually ask for an upper row. The recently refurbished Lux has a goodsize auditorium, too (the big one upstairs; avoid the small one downstairs). The one next to the Lux, RuXin (don’t know its English name) has an even bigger auditorium than the Lux, with a tiny downstairs auditorium. The Lion is quite nice, too (all 3 auditoriums). Avoid all the rest.

When I want to see an ordinary flick rather than something special at SPOT, I usually opt for Shin Shin, which is pretty good since it was refurbished and offers a Wellcome and food court of sorts in the same building.

I’ve never watched a film at Warner, don’t much like the look of the place, and have been put off it completely by all the negative reports I’ve read here.

To be fair, I saw Lost in Translation at Warner Village a bit ago, and other that the ridiculous standing in line for tickets (too few people manning the ticket booths) and the awful noodle soup in the food court, the rest of the experience was fine. Seats were OK, sound and sight was fine and the only thing negative was the 15 minutes of commercials before the film (whatever happened to the good old cartoon?).